Friday, April 24, 2009

The Stain

I have a spot on my carpet. It's a stain left from a spilled drink. I've cleaned the spot many times. Usually the stain looks like its gone. But before too long, it's back. Obviously I am only cleaning the surface of the carpet and the stain must be underneath. So while it looks clean for a while, it always comes back.

Sin is like that. Sometimes we may change a behavior in our life, or "clean up" our act. It looks like the sin is gone. But if the heart issues stays, then the sin will return. What are some examples of cleaning up our act, without changing the heart?

Doing good to get something. (Bribery)
Doing good to please. (Emotional)
Doing good to avoid punishment. (Punitive)

But without changing the heart...the behavior always comes back. That is why prison's have so many repeat offenders. You can punish all you want...but without a heart change the behavior doesn't change for good.

But Jesus - he is better than Oxyclean. He goes to the root of the stain, the sin, and he removes it. The doesn't mean it doesn't require work on our part. Without Jesus, we can work all we want and the stain will stay. But with Jesus, we still have to work, we have to fight temptation, but suddenly we have the power (stain fighting power!) to beat sin.

The fact is, as long as we're on earth we'll always have some remnant of the stain left. Because we are sinners. But once we go to heaven, we'll be presented to God - Stain free!

Ephesians 5:25b - 27 -- Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless.

Mark 7:21, 22 -- For from within, out of men's hearts, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly.

Colossians 1:22, 23 -- But now he has reconciled you by Christ's physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation— if you continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved from the hope held out in the gospel.

Chatty Kelly

16 comments:

Blasé said...

Mix a couple of teaspoons of Vinegar w/ a gallon of water. Pour some into the backing of your carpet (but don't over soak). Place a towel over the spot and add a weight on top of the towel. That will allow the complete stain to wick-up into the towel. No guarantees... but it may work after a few attempts.

Speaking of "guarantees"...
I like the verse- "God is Faithful.." If our relationship with God depended on 'our' part...we would never be able to 'seal the deal'. Our relationship with God has been bought by Jesus, and 'sealed and 'secured' by the Holy Spirit, regardless.

Vashti said...

dont ya just hate the stubborn ones?!!!
Just when we have gotton rid of one another usually surfaces. Thanks for the post.
have a great weekend.
xx

Leslie said...

Beautifully put! I did chuckle about your reference to Jesus and Oxyclean. When I think of Oxyclean, all I can think of is the guy on the commercial who screams at us about it! He makes me so tense! Jesus is persistent in making us see what he wants us to do, but at least he is patient and doesn't scream at us. (Although, He usually has plenty of reasons to yell at us!)

By the way, as my 14 year old son was getting out of the shower this morning, he began singing that Wal-Mart jingle! Yes, it is funny!

Mel said...

I am a big Oxyclean fan but I am so glad that Jesus is more powerful!!!

God's girl said...

Good analogy today:)

Joy in The Truth said...

Kelly -- I have a stain too on my carpet that daily reminds me of the blood He shed for us! It's a story -- it's on my "one-of-these-days-I'll-blog-about-it" stories.

Jesus is the best -- washing us white as snow and making us His righteousness!

(when you come up for NYC R&K -- I'll show you the stain -- unless of course we get it out by then!)

Greg C said...

Better than Oxyclean? Someone needs to tell that guy on TV. I agree with you though Kelly. We don't have carpets for that very reason. Well not that reason but we don't have any. I like the way you put these two things together.

Lois Lane II said...

That is so true! Unless you TRULY want to change a bad habit, it'll stay just that: a habit.

Edie said...

"Resist the devil and he will flee from you." I'm so glad I have Jesus to help me resist and persist.

(off topic)
"Edited some writing, did some strength training, did some laundry & played outside with my daughter in between rain showers. A good day!" ... How do you have time for this AND bloggin!?? I'm jealous. :)

Irritable Mother said...

"without blemish and free from accusation" Oh - so thankful for Jesus' power to clean me up!!!

Carmen Gamble said...

Awesome post! God turns all things to good...even stories about stubborn stains! Excellent analogy...

Billy Coffey said...

There's a stain in one corner of our living room carpet. Left there by one of two very young and very guilty looking suspects under the age of eight. We've been trying to get it up for about a week now, but all the scrubbing we do will not get it completely out.

I'll never look at that stain the same way again.

KelliGirl said...

Great analogy. It made me think of parenting as well. As parents I think it's easiest (and quickest) to alter behavior by bribery, manipulation or punishment. What longer lasting results we have when we make it a heart issue. Hmmm...

Mary Moss said...

Another wonderful analogy from everyday life:-)

LisaShaw said...

"But without changing the heart...the behavior always comes back. That is why prison's have so many repeat offenders. You can punish all you want...but without a heart change the behavior doesn't change for good." YOU SAID IT!

I'm so thankful that I am a sinner saved by grace through my faith in Jesus Christ. His blood has cleansed and consecrated my life. Oh how I pray to live even more aware of that and to bring even more honor to HIM.

Your message was powerful. Love ya.

My ADHD Me said...

Jesus is better than Oxyclean.
I love that!