Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Shadow Knows

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows." Believe it or not, this tag line came from a radio program from the 1930's. I don't know how I even know it, since I wasn't born until 1968, but I guess it is part of pop culture enough that it is recognizable.

You know, the Shadow isn't the only one who knows. God also knows the evil desires that are lurking in the heart of men. We may put our best foot forward. We may be on our best behavior. We may look like a regular Eddie Haskell from Leave it to Beaver. ("Wally, if your dumb brother tags along, I'm gonna - oh, good afternoon, Mrs. Cleaver. I was just telling Wallace how pleasant it would be for Theodore to accompany us to the movies.")

We may be good at fooling the world around us. We may get accolades, awards, pats on the back. But on the last day, will come the day of reckoning. We'll all have to stand in the presence of God and be judged, not only on our behavior, but on the heart motive behind it. It all boils down to the heart. Because you can fool all of the people some of the time...but you can't fool God.

Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of men? God knows...that's who.

Luke 6:45 -- The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks.
1 Corinthians 4:5 -- Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait till the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of men's hearts. At that time each will receive his praise from God.

1 Samuel 16:7 -- Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.

Chatty Kelly

14 comments:

Vashti said...

Great post!
xx

Jennifer Sikora said...

Great post! A very good reminder to keep my open and my heart connected entirely to Jesus.

I love the fact that Jesus gave us a way to be more keen on the shadow, all we have to do is know His voice, and we do that by staying in the Word!

Thanks for sharing!!

Joy in The Truth said...

So thankful for His grace, mercy and gentleness! So thankful the Light can't tolerate the darkness.

Thanks, CK! :) Tomorrow is the day -- Live! With Regis & Kelly! I am bringing Kelly a bag full of P31 books. :)

james1-5 said...

Our pastor just preached on the "overflow of the heart" this past weekend. So true.

I love your posts. I was introduced to your blog through Linda at 2nd Cup.

Blessings to you!

Susan

My ADHD Me said...

I think you can make an analogy out of anything!

Bonita said...

I'm so glad that God looks on the heart even when we can't see in there.

Mrs. Sidney said...

I am so glad we have the Holy Spirit to guide us through our dark times and leading us to follow God and not evil doers... amazing post!!

Edie said...

I'm sure glad God knows!

Hi my friend. Just taking a few minutes to visit a couple of cherished friends.

Love you!!

Leslie said...

This post gave me a chuckle. As I was STILL sitting in the court house after lunch today, the lady in charge of the jurors reminded us that there was an optional survey we could fill out to give our opinion of the process. A few people went to the table to pick one up. I thought to myself, "Maybe if I'm nice and fill one out, God won't let me be picked for jury duty." I was about to walk over to get one when the thought crossed my mind that God knew my real intention regarding filling out one of the surveys. So I stayed in my seat. About 45 minutes later, the lady came back and told us all to go home! Not one person in that whole room had to do anything today other than sit there for 6 hours. The lady told us we're off the hook for the next 3 years!

I'm ashamed of my heart's intention and am glad that He stopped me from doing something for a false reason!

Jenny said...

Awesome post.

Mary Moss said...

Wonderful post, Kelly! Great analogy - as always:-)

Blasé said...

Fortunately, God's grace through Jesus is greater than our sinful hearts.

DidiLyn said...

I remember the days of the shadows. I cherish staying in the Light.

Kay Martin said...

Yeah the Shadow knows and we know. Deception never holds up forever. The glory of God shines through and saints know when a person loves the Lord with all their heart.

The Shadow knows...in time everyone knows what's in our hearts.

Thank God for merciful Jesus Christ and His redeeming love and power and blood. My only hope.