Monday, April 20, 2009

Perfect

Every night before I go to bed, I go check on my sleeping children one last time for the night. As they lay there sleeping they look like perfect little angels. Their sweet faces are cherubic. I desire to pick them up and rock them back and forth and sing "I'll love you forever." (Just like the mother in that book "Love You Forever.")

The reality, however, is that if I woke them up, they'd likely grumble or cry and that sweet look would immediately leave their face. Even if it didn't, I can assure you by the next afternoon I'd experience the horrible reality of their personality when they don't have enough sleep. See they LOOK perfect when they are sleeping. But I spend enough time with them when they are awake to know they are not.

Sometimes people may read my blog and think I look perfect too. My smiling picture on the side bar, my inspirational blog posts, my happy, funny videos all make my life look so...perfect. But what you don't see are the 99 photos that I took before I finally got the good one on my side bar. I don't post about the argument I had with my husband, or how I screamed at my children and then hated myself afterwards. Because that's not inspirational.

On the other hand, if I showed my weaknesses, my flaws, my sins more often, would that inspire others to realize that I don't think I'm perfect, and that they don't have to be either! The truth is, I'm a work in progress. I have a messy past. My present is in "clean-up" mode. But my future? Ah, my future is where I'll be perfect. Because of God's grace, when I die God will look at messy me and only see Jesus, the One who is and was perfect because I never can be.

So if you look at me and think my life's perfect because I don't share when it's not - WAKE UP!

Philippians 3:12 -- Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.

James 3:2 -- We all stumble in many ways.

Psalm 18:30 -- As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the LORD is flawless. He is a shield for all who take refuge in him.

Chatty Kelly

21 comments:

Joy in The Truth said...

Years ago my girlfriend said of her children "They are perfect when they are sleeping". :) I always remember that.

I think the greatest lesson we moms can teach our children (I easily show this one by example!) is that we are imperfect people who desperately need our Perfect Savior and Redeemer.

Time to wake up my sleeping cherubs for school....

Anonymous said...

yeah, and y'all haven't seen her in the morning before her coffee....

-ET

Beverlydru said...

Kelly, I think you mix it up in a perfect balance. We also know that if you lost tocuh with reality, your sisters would set the record straight. Hugs and smiles.

Susan D said...

Thank you for this honest post. I too am far from perfect and a work in progress. This always reminds me of the song....."He's still workin on me." Have a great day. Blessings, SusanD

My ADHD Me said...

What a great post. (and, NO, this isn't a "Nice Post" comment)

Funny that you linked to my perception of "that book". haha

I really did enjoy this. Straight from the heart.

Julie Gillies said...

I trust that people understand the power of illusion, and that none of us are perfect (least of all me!). Our blogs are sort of the "air-brushed" version of us, huh? LOL

You are just so real, Kelly...and your beautiful heart shines through every post.

Have a great week, my friend.

Lois Lane II said...

You know, it took me a while to grasp the fact that no one -- not even the super beautiful, super sweet, super blessed girl that we all know -- is perfect. And it's such a great realization. =)

On Purpose said...

Joining you in the journey as a work in progress! I am humbled and 'woke' up many times knowing that He is not after perfection, but just a love relationship with me!

On Purpose said...

Joining you in the journey as a work in progress! I am humbled and 'woke' up many times knowing that He is not after perfection, but just a love relationship with me!

God's girl said...

Beautiful:) Just beautiful!

Transparent Mama said...

Perfect is over-rated in human terms simply because it is always false. Perfect is God's alone. Enjoyed reading your blog.

DidiLyn said...

You are perfect...perfectly adorable and human and authentic.
See? Perfect.

Leslie said...

On Wednesday, I have to go to the courthouse and sit all day to see if I get picked for jury duty. The mom of one of my students told me that she's sure I'll be picked because I have such a wholesome looking face (great!). Too bad my heart doesn't always match my face!

Hey, can we see the first 99 photos? Tee, hee!

Technonana said...

What a great honest post!!! I believe we can all say.."I am far from perfect! But God ain't finished with me yet!"
I have a friend who says, "our test are our testimonies, and our mess, is our message."

Susanne said...

We are all works in progress while here on this earth. Thank God for that future. I used to have a bookmark that said said "God loves me just the way I am. But He loves me too much to leave me that way".

Blasé said...

Ck...If I thought you had a 'high and mighty' attitude...I would have never given you the time of day.

The reason I've been picking on you is because I discerned that you were humble/Cool. I've been around long enough to pick out the Proud from the 'down-to-earth' folks.

But, just the same, that type of post needs to be brought out every now and then to remind all of us that we have nothing to boast about in ourselves.

HisPrincess said...

I adore that book "Love you Forever" it was one of my son's favourites when he was small. He's 14 now!

No one is perfect. The trick is realising it, accepting it and moving on to try again.

Sharon.

Greg C said...

Yes and mine are perfect when they want to be. At other times they test me. I am not perfect but I do know how to be forgiven.

Angela said...

Great post---the only perfect people are plastic people and they really aren't people after all are they? :-)

Pat said...

Kelly,
Your words are so true. It is a balance isn't it...sharing the good and sharing the bad. Sometimes I look back at post and want to use that little trash can.
I make myself not just to stay real!
Thank you for your sweet honesty!!
Bless you!
Pat

Jenny said...

Great perfectly honest post Kelly:) I sometimes wish I could pick Bub up and rock him like that too, they are so precious and angelic when they are asleep..