Monday, November 17, 2008

Saturday and The Three Legged Race

Saturday was my first non-home church speaking engagement. (Not gig, right Edie?). I was covered in prayer by my friends and bloggy friends alike. I was so peaceful! I still had the nervous edge that makes one achieve, but while I kept waiting for that nervous sick feeling I usually get, I never got it! I expected it but I was filled with peace.

The group was small, about 15 ladies. My talk was well received and the pastor's wife said after the lunch that she talked to many of the ladies and they were touched in different ways by different parts of my talk. I too was blessed, as I felt this time of preparation I had taken each step with God. I felt in communion with him during my preparation and talk.

Saturday night I attended my Christian Writers group annual dinner. I had a chance to share briefly about my publishing journey to the group of probably 40 or so folks and had everyone laughing with my false expectations of what the publishing world held. (Hint: They don't respond the next day to your emails.) It was fun. I had also entered the devotion writing contest. We had been told to send them to the co-director of the group, and I had assumed she'd be judging them. The prize was $20.

I won the contest! However, it was judged by the Editor of the Spirit Led Writer, and in addition to the $20, my devotion will also appear in the magazine. Another published piece! I was thrilled, needless to say. It was a great day. I'm so happy to share it with you all. And now today's devotional thoughts....

I've been thinking a lot about my relationship with the Lord lately. I've decided I want to be in a three-legged race with God. Really. Think about a three legged race.
I do not want to be able to take a step without God stepping with me. I want to stay arm and arm with him in each step I take. And if I stumble, I want God beside me holding me up. I want to run every step with God.

With God at my side, it isn't about whether I win or lose. It's how I play the game...of life. As I cross the "finish line" with God by my side, no matter what "place" I come, I'll still be a winner.
2 Timothy 4:7 -- I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Jeremiah 13:11 -- For as a belt is bound around a man's waist, so I bound the whole house of Israel and the whole house of Judah to me,' declares the LORD, 'to be my people for my renown and praise and honor.
2 Chronicles 15:10 -- Then they bound themselves in a covenant to seek God, the God of their fathers, wholeheartedly, holding nothing back. (The Message)

Chatty Kelly

21 comments:

Vashti said...

So exciting seeing God use the gifts that He has placed in you for His kingdom!
What a huge blessing!
xx

Truth4thejourney said...

Congratulations! God is truly advancing you in service. As we serve Him we do get a much closer walk with Him. It's a wonderful side benefit. :)

Dena @ Green Acres said...

Congratulations! How exciting! And I absolutely love your 3 legged race analogy. Awesome!

Beverlydru said...

This is the first 3 legged race I've wanted to be in. Seeing as I have trouble keeping my feet under me. Good thing God is good at picking us up and setting us on our feet again.
I am so excited for you for ANOTHER article published! How cool is that??!!??

Sue J. said...

I'm just wondering about what cord God uses to keep us bound to Him. It would seem to be something that allowed for some flexibility (as we do have free will) and yet is unable to be broken, lest we completely fall to the ground without our binding.

Maybe that's how the Holy Spirit works? (And Jesus is our coach shouting, "You go, Kelly! Step...together...step...together. Woo hoo!!)

Nice analogy :-)

The Patterson 5 said...

I love your three legged race analogy! So true as we have to stay close and in tune with God. In a three legged race you can't just go at it alone. You have to depend on your race mate!

Bonita said...

Congratulations on your speaking and writing accomplishments! I'm so proud of you! Enjoy your three-legged journey.

My ADHD Me said...

Yay!
I'm SO proud of you.
Things are really starting to "fall" into place....except for the 3 legged race...no falling there!!

B His Girl said...

Yeah Lord and Kelly...nice first run away from home. Onward and upward...Oh The Places You'll Go!
I woke up Saturday morning and prayed for you before my feet hit the floor. God had His girls praying for you. How cool is that!! Thanks for sharing the run with us. : )

On Purpose said...

Thank you Heavenly Father for speaking through your servant Kelly to the people around her this weekend!

Congrats Kelly!

Tammy said...

It's so exciting to hear what God is doing in your life. I had no doubt,those ladies wouldn't be touch by the message God laid on your heart.

Your writing surely shows that you are totally in the three legged race with God.

Pinkshoelady said...

Way Cool!

I am so glad God is speaking and writting through you.
He speaks to my heart every time I visit here...which is everyday!

I loved the 3-legged race with God!

You are such a blessing in my life my friend!

Pamela

Mary Moss said...

Kelly, I absolutely love your 3-legged race idea. What an awesome way to visualize how our walk with the Lord should be!

Melanie said...

Well Done!
Congratulations, too, on your CW prize - $ and article!
I love it when SISTER-SPEAKER/WRITERS succeed!

Julie Gillies said...

Kelly, congrats on your first non-church speaking engagement, AND for wining first prize on Spirit Led Writer. (I would love to hear you speak!)

You go, girl!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

I'm so happy for you, friend. I know they were blessed.

Jessica said...

That's awesome! Congrats :-)

Shabby Olde Potting Shed said...

Congratulations Kelly...!!!

What an awesome God we serve... and He's leading you out and beyond!!!
I couldn't be happy for you! Keep running that race!
lea

KelliGirl said...

Kelly,
Congratulations on the contest. How awesome to receive recognition for the hard work you do. Keep using all that God has gifted you with for His glory.

Blessings,
Kelli

Edie said...

Ok so I'm behind in my blogging and the LAST one to show up for this but I HAVE been thinking about you, and wondering how your ENGAGEMENT went.

YAY for you! I'm happy dancing all over the place for you!! God is so good. He does teach us as He works in us to teach others, and those are the sweetest moments. I love your heart for Him here Kelly. *HUGE SMILE*

Greg C said...

I am so glad your speaking engagement went so well. I like the comparison of the three legged race to your relationship to God. That is so true. I too am strengthening our relationship. I mean me and God, not me and you although I believe we are becoming friends in God. LOL Anyway, another great post by Kelly. Keep them coming please.