Friday, November 21, 2008

Calvinism

I love Calvin. He is an amazing person and has great thoughts on religion. And Hobbes. Oh wait, you didn't think I meant the religious guy Calvin did you? The Presbyterian guy? No, I'm talking about the comic strip Calvin and Hobbes.

One of my favorite comics (below) is the one where the bully (Moe) says "Get of the swing Twinky" and Calvin says "Forget it Moe. Wait your turn." PUNCH. After getting punched, Calvin says "It's hard to be religious when certain people never get incinerated by bolts of lightening."

Isn't that the truth? As a Christian some of my hardest moments come when "other people" (you know the ones,) seemingly have no troubles. But I feel like Calvin, having been "beaten up" by life.

Unfortunately, I can sometimes see myself in Calvin. My all time favorite is autobiographical and reads like this: Calvin in the first frame is shouting, “I’m in a very crabby mood, so everybody just leave me alone! I hate everybody.” In the next two frames Calvin stomps off, then he stops and looks around. Finally in a small voice he says, “Nobody recognizes my hints to smother me with affection.” Like Calvin, sometimes I need to improve my communication skills. I'm thankful to have a God who can read my heart, even with my mouth is shouting something all together different.

Hobbes has learned the great biblical truth to be content in all circumstances. He could teach us a thing or two, in this age where we all WANT WANT WANT.

Calvin: "If you could have anything in the world right now, what would it be?"
Hobbes: "Hmmm..."
Calvin: "Anything at all! Whatever you want!"
Hobbes: "A sandwich.
"Calvin: "A SANDWICH?!? What kind of stupid wish is THAT?! Talk about a failure of imagination! I'd ask for a trillion billion dollars, my own space shuttle, and a private continent!"

In the next panel, Hobbes is standing in front of the kitchen counter, munching on a sandwich.
Hobbes: "I got my wish."



May we "wish" and pray responsibly so that we too may get what we ask for...and remain content even if we don't.

Philippians 4:11 -- I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.

2 Corinthians 12:8,9 -- Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."

Chatty Kelly

18 comments:

Kay Martin said...

I honestly thought you had the courage to dig into "Calvinism." What relief that you meant the comics. I loved it.

The Patterson 5 said...

I too was thinking uh-oh this is going to be a super intulectual read- and I can't even spell intulectual this morning! I'm glad it was funny instead! I learned something too! I think I'm a bit like Hobbes- a sandwhich sounds great to me!

Greg C said...

I love that comic as well. There are several of them hanging around this plant.

Your post reminded me of that movie Bedazzled. This guy is down on his luck and runs into the devil who gives him sevin wishes in exchange for his soul. Of course he squanders them because everything he wishes for is so selfish. In the end he uses his final wish to make the love of his life happy. Of course the devil can't deal with unselfishness so he gets his wish. Finally he meets God who informs him he can't sell his soul because that belongs to God. It is a little crazy but it made me laugh.

Your posts make me smile. Keep it up.

Truth4thejourney said...

This is a great post, Kelly! We do need to be careful what we pray for. I remember with the pending birth of my 2nd daughter praying for labor becasue I had an emergency c-section wtih my first child! After 30+ hours of labor with my second child I thought, "well, you got what you prayed for!" LOL!

Sonya

Melanie said...

This speaks to me as it looks like I am about to get a few things that I have prayed for. Nevertheless, I will be thankful whether it arrives in the package I am expecting or not.

Beverlydru said...

Loved this - it made me laugh and it made me think. Staying on the light side - you've heard about the guy who at his 25th class reunion said he had accomplished everything he set out to do. When asked what his goals had been he replied, "the reason this was easy is I didn't set any".
I think the Hobbes story is better though.

On Purpose said...

"I'm thankful to have a God who can read my heart, even with my mouth is shouting something all together different"


For your words above are the prayer of my heart this morning. Thank You Jesus for translating for me today!

My ADHD Me said...

First of all, you know we 're Calvin and Hobbs fans here so your post was a hit.
Also, I just had a similar conversation with my friend RG this week. She was upset about a wrong that had been done. I said something extremely deep and inspiring like "What comes around, goes around" and she replied that it doesn't. And that it wasn't fair that people can be so mean and not have to pay the consequences.
I'll show her this post and remind her that we'll all have to account for our actions one day.

Julie Gillies said...

Stinkin' HILARIOUS!

I ADORE Calvin & Hobbes! "Nobody recognizes my hints to smother me with affection"...you had me laughing out loud, girl.

I have WONDERFUL, precious memories of my 28-year old son and I sitting together on the sofa reading Calvin & Hobbes books, laughing hysterically.

Oh girl, thanks for the giggle today - I sure needed it! :)

Gina C said...

Hi Kelly,

I've been trying to contact you about the webring Writer...Interrupted you applied to back in April. Please email if you're still interested in joining. If I don't hear from you I'll just assume you're not interested anymore. Many blessings!

Runner Mom said...

Ok, I admit it too..I thought you were going to post about Calvinism, and I was not even going to read your post!! Sorry, but I'm tired, hungry, and history is not on my agenda tonight!!!

We love Calvin and Hobbes! My youngest has purchased several of his books during the book fairs at school. We will curl up and read them. I love cartoons...and these make me smile.

Hope you have a great weekend--stay warm!
Hugs,
Susan

Melanie said...

The book arrived today.
Thanks, again!
Enjoy your Saturday morning grits.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

One year we gave our senior pastor the whole collection in a keepsake kind of book. I also love the theology/philosophy in Peanuts. But I can't say this IRL to my friends because one of my very closest, closest friends works for Garfield the Cat. Closely.

Dorothy Champagne said...

Great insight here! Oh the things we learn in everyday life that Jesus uses to keep us focused. Thanks!

Edie said...

This is very cute CK! I'm working on content in every situation. :)

Sue J. said...

Guess I was the only one hoping for Calvin..... He wasn't that bad, really.....

Of course Calvin Klein would have made for an interesting focus as well...

And it's clearly too late for me to be posting.

Hobbes...you mean Roy Hobbs, from the Natural?!!

What do you mean this isn't ADHDMe's blog?....

Thanks for today!

Becoming Me said...

I loved this...very witty and fun but laced with real truth

Mary said...

Calvin and Hobbes -- oh, they're the best. Great post and one that I needed to read today.