Saturday, October 11, 2008

Designed for What?

Jumping in on Edie's Random Question this week - which is WHAT ARE YOU DESIGNED FOR?

I love to talk. Can you imagine, Chatty Kelly is a talker? When I began leading my Mothers of Preschoolers (MOPS) group two years ago, I introduced myself by way of reading my 9th grade report cards to them. Teacher after teacher wrote phrases such as "Kelly is an excellent student, but she talks too much in class." "Kelly does well in class when she isn't talking." "Excessive talking in class." I don't remember that I talked too much, but clearly I did. (Still do!)

I love to lead. My husband laughs that every group I join I end up the leader of! (I don't take over...it just happens!) I was president of my Junior Club. I've led the MOPS group for two years. I have led and continue to lead a bible study for 9 years. I love leading and have a knack for organization.

I love to write & blog! Writing is just talking on paper! I'm not a gifted writer, but I do enjoy writing and am learning the craft as I work on improving my work.

I love to teach! Of course that requires learning. My new tag line (motto) is "Sometimes Teaching, Always Learning." It's not that I am an expert, it's that I'm not afraid to facilitate. That is what a real teacher does, facilitate the group because everyone has something to teach the rest of us.

Put together all these things - and I think God designed me for ministry, specifically Women's Ministry. I love to write and speak and teach for the Lord. All my spiritual gifts tests always point to evangelism and shepherding. So that's why I'm here!

Finally, my heart's desire (different from my design perhaps) has always been to be a mom. I love being a mom. Some days I think I'm not too good at it, while others day I think I am the best. The truth is probably somewhere in between. But I love my girls and think I am raising them right. They both know and love God. Everything else is just stuff.

So -what's your design? After you blog about it, head over to Edie's to link up. Or leave your answer in her comment section or mine.

20 comments:

Chatty Kelly said...

KAY MARTIN - I have lost your blogger address. Can you either post it with your comment or email me at chattykelly@comcast.net so that I can visit you.

I know it is something like thrive, but I can't get it to come up.

Thanks!

Edie said...

Excessive talker!? LOL, it just goes to show that what may appear to be a weakness in some situations, God can use as a strength. This is encouraging since I'm known for talking a lot! :D

Great gifts and perspective! Enjoy your day!

Edie said...

Let me just add ...

"Well, Shun-Chuan Chen wants to be part of our blogging group"

LOL!!!! Well of course, who wouldn't want to be part of this wonderful group!! :D

My ADHD Me said...

Who would have thought...all those years of chatting.
You have definitely taken this gift, mastered it, and used it for wonderful things!

Tammy R said...

Keep on talkin' girl!

I love visiting your blog to see what God has laid on your heart.

Joy in The Truth (Sharon Sloan) said...

I love that: "Writing is talking on paper". And I can tell you write like you talk, which is great because it reflects your heart. It's like your tone and enthusiasm pop off the screen.

All all created for different purposes, we are all created for His glory and pleasure. Wow....amazing! :)

This was fun to read, Kelly! :) Thanks!

Beverlydru said...

I have the same reports from teachers. I remember my sixth grade teacher wrote "I am more familiar with the back of her head rather than her face as she is always truned around talking."
No wonder I'm a speaker! LOL

Jessica said...

Hmm, not sure, but it's definitely not taking the reins! LOL
It's awesome that you're not afraid to step up and lead. You bold woman, you!!

The Patterson 5 said...

You are a wonderful evangelist for Christ in all groups but especially women's groups! Your energy and ability to put everyone at ease opens their hearts to hear the message Christ has given you to share! You know you've blessed my life as I've shared it with you often but once more can only be good!

You are a fabulous, amazing mother and your daughter's know your love and God's love, through your're love and teaching!

I could have summed this up by simply saying Amen Sister!

Tammy said...

I just had to pop over here because I liked what you said in your comment to Susan on Learning for a Lifetime...:)

This is my first time "meeting" you but it looks like you have a wonderful ministry going!

I am just the opposite in that I am a little shy at first in person, but I have always loved to write! I want to someday actually finish the book I'm writing...but as a home school mom of two grade school girls, time is not always my friend! ;)

Anyway, I hope to come by again. And please stop by my place if you, too!

Blessings,
~Tammy
Lattes and Lollipops

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Oh Kelly, this new design is gorgeous! I know you are so happy with it. She did a great job. About design: I'm still not sure about myself, I only know that words are an integral part of my life--bloging, writing the column, reading, speaking. You know what's funny about your "talking points?" When we met at She Speaks, you seemed very quiet and reserved. I never would have guessed you are this outgoing!

Greg C said...

I am wondering if God has designed me for ministry too. I am not sure but sometimes I feel like getting up on stage and telling it like it is.

Kay Martin said...

I go slam off all personality charts for sanguine, extrovert, etc. So, yes, I love words in talking, writing, texting, blogging and research and reading and on and on and on.

You asked about my blog url: http://thrivechristian.blogspot.com

I also have no hestitation in promoting myself. Aha!!!

I mentioned this on my blog in the past. An expert giving me my personality/spiritual gifts analysis gave "talkers" like me good advice. He said that God had gifted me with "light" and presence when I entered a room. I would be an asset always if I knew where the dimmer switch was; and the spotlight feature. I have since prayed for God's discernment on how much "light"....talk, a situation needs; and who might benefit from me beaming some light onto them in a group.

That wise man coming into my life was a great gift. I suppose knowing when to use our gifts of our DeSign and how much the situation needs and when to wait for better timing is the way God can miraculously work through each of us.

I sure like God's DeSign in you.

Truth4thejourney said...

Hi Kelly,
Love the new look on your blog! It is perfect. :) Great job Edie!!

I also love God's design on your heart. You have been (and still are) one of my most treasured friends. You are just a delight to be around. :)

Love you!
Sonya

Edie said...

Hey CK - I love the new photo on the sidebar! ... and the new look is so YOU! :D Glad you're pleased! I really enjoyed it.

Melissa the Careful Wisher said...

Love the new design and love to read your thoughts! Melissa

Runner Mom said...

I LOVE your new look!! It is too, too cute! It fits your personality to a "T"! Great job, Edie!

I write like I talk as well--can ya tell?? But I love to write and talk also--they go hand in hand for me too.

Love ya,
Susan

Julie Gillies said...

Oh, Kelly, your new blog look is just beautiful! LOVE it, girl!

And you know, we seem to be a lot alike. I always wind up leading everything, too. I had jury duty 2 years ago and wound up foreman. LOL

You are a blessing and I appreciate God's gifts at work in you.

Anonymous said...

You look really pretty in the entry page (not that you don't always!)

ET

The Patterson 5 said...

I know it's not Monday yet---but I couldn't WAIT!!!!! I love the new look especially the little chatty Kelly's and Chatty Kelly's family so very neat. I bet your girls like it too! I like your purpose for writing!!!!!!