Wednesday, October 8, 2008

More Free Stuff!

The really cool thing about the FREE gift of eternal life and the Holy Spirit from God, is that from the FREE gift, we become FREE.

Dictionary.com lists no less than 12 definitions of the word "free." One meaning is without cost. We received the gift of eternal life from God without cost to us - even though there was a large cost for Jesus it costs us nothing. It is truly a free gift.

Another definition of "free" is personal rights or liberty. That is what we receive when we accept the free gift. We are liberated from a life of sin, and free to be a child of God.

A third definition is free from external authority, interference, restriction, etc., as a person or one's will, thought, choice, etc.. We all have free will, and the ability to chose or reject the free gift of eternal life that frees us from sin.

Free can mean clear of obstructions or obstacles, as a road or corridor: The highway is now free of fallen rock. After accepting gift of Jesus, we are now free of old self, we are a new creation in Christ. (2 Corinthians 5:17)

Free also means having immunity or being safe (usually fol. by from): free from danger. We are free from the eternal punishment of hell. Even though we continue to sin, we don't have to pay the price for our sins. We're free from eternal punishment.

Finally, free means set free, to release; liberate; The prisoners were set free. The Contemporary Christian song by Chris Tomlin says "My chains are gone, I've been set free. My God, my Savior, has ransomed me."

If you are free in Christ, you are truly free indeed. (So act now, and join God today! You can become a Christian - For free!)

John 8:36 -- So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.
Psalm 116:16 -- O LORD, truly I am your servant; I am your servant, the son of your maidservant ; you have freed me from my chains.

Psalm 118:5 -- In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free.

11 comments:

Dorothy Champagne said...

Great Analogies to the Christian Life and the definition of "Free"!

My ADHD Me said...

I like the "act now part". Because we never know when it will be too late.

Maybe you could throw in a free give away with this....like a copy of "Free Willy". (I know. we already get the free gift....JK)

Truth4thejourney said...

I loved the verse you used, John 8:36 So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

I have experienced so many times in my Christain life where God has set me free from different things that had kept me in bondage and it is true, when the Son sets you free, you are free indeed!

Love,
Sonya

Jenny said...

That was a fun post! And I liked seeing what all the word means.

Jen

Edie said...

I love this CK. I have been studying in Exodus and how God brought the Israelites out of captivity and into freedom. That's where I feel I am in life at this point. Still wandering a bit but set free.

Irritable Mother said...

Whoever said nothing really good is FREE, didn't know Jesus!
I am so glad I have been set free - for free!

On Purpose said...

Living in the "free freedom"

The Patterson 5 said...

Again I am glad God has you on his marketing team! We've always known one of your spiritual gifts is evangelism! Great post! Amazingly wonderful message!

sailorcross said...

Love both of your "free" posts!! Christ has set me free--THANK YOU, JESUS!!

And when I think of what Jesus did for me, for all of us--when I really ruminate upon this--I just cry, and I mean sob!!

God could have easily left me right where I was, but He didn't. He waited until the right time, and then used a friend to lead me back to Him. I was emotionless for years--no laughter, no joy, no tears at all.

Now, I cry tears of joy and happiness at the least little thing--unashamed tears--and all because I have been set free!!

Thank you for posting about this and again making me so thankful!!

Beth

My Army Brats and Me said...

Thanks for praying for me. I will stop by again soon.
love Cindy

HisPrincess said...

I too love the "act now" part, but at least we can take heart in the fact that it's not a "one time only" offer!