Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Random Dozen 10/21


Having a feverish child, this may just be the week of the meme over at Chatty Kelly's. No time for deep thoughts. Enjoy.


1. Candy corn: Your thoughts?


Candy corn is the 2nd yuckiest candy out there. It's like hard plastic. What, you may be wondering, is the first yuckiest candy? Neccos. BLAH!

2. Briefly, what was the first conversation you ever had with your spouse?


Our first conversation went like this: HE: "Is (boss's name) available?" ME: "Yes he is, may I tell him who is calling?" Deep stuff, huh.

3. Could you ever become a vegetarian?


Well, we were originally made as vegetarians, before God released us to eat meat, (Gen. 9:2-4) so I'm going to say yes I "could." However, would I? Not unless I felt lead by God, and I don't.

4. Have you ever dressed up your pet in a costume?


It's not exactly a costume, but it is a dress. I have children, they wanted to dress the dog up. We tried it, he hated it, we don't do it anymore.



5. Name something about childhood that you miss (like Clark Bars, Malibu Barbie, cracking fake eggs on people's heads with your fist and "It's the Great Pumpkin" airing only once a year).


I don't miss anything about my childhood. I watch all the specials on TV with my kids and still enjoy them.

6. Have you ever won a trophy? If not, what do you deserve a trophy for?


I don't think I've ever won a trophy. I probably don't deserve one either. So it's all okay.

7. When do you think is the appropriate time to begin playing Christmas music each year?


This is a controversial question, people feel strongly about. I like it to start the Friday after Thanksgiving.

8. What's your favorite board game?


I'll take you on in any board game. I'm competitive. I like to win. But I don't have a favorite.

9. How do you feel about surprises (receiving, not giving)?


I'm not a big fan of surprises, control freak that I am. But if you want to slip me a gift, I'm okay with that.

10. Is it easy for you to say, "I'm sorry?"


Depends on who I'm apologizing to. It's easy for me to say I'm sorry to my kids, because I want to instill that value in them. The stranger I just bumped, no problem. But in the heat of an argument, it's not so easy.

11. What is your favorite candle scent?


Depends on the season! I like linen during non-holiday times. Pumpkin spice in Oct/Nov., and Christmas wreath/evergreen during the Christmas holidays.

12. October is traditionally "open house" time in public schools. If you had a literal open house in your home (like a reception) what light snacks would you serve visitors and what would you show them (as in art projects, graded papers) that would uniquely represent you?


I would showcase my published works. I have a nice little file of them now. I would serve my famously delicious stuffed mushrooms, cheese/crackers, fruit, meatballs, spinach dip w/Hawaiian bread. I would have a champagne punch with strawberries floating in it. Everyone would have a lovely time. I've had enough parties, that even though I get stressed out about it, I've pretty much got the routine down to a science.



Chatty Kelly

19 comments:

Diane said...

I am with you on the candy corn. Neccos have an interesting texture so I am not opposed to them. Fun questions and very honest answers. Nice! :O)

B His Girl said...

Funny random thoughts
Hope your feverish child is better. b

2Thinks said...

You deserve the trophy for Encouraging Others with the Truth of the Word.

I would like to attend your published works gala and sip a bit of that punch.

p.s. I've only worn those tights twice in my entire life, so far. I like them, though. On a regular day, you'll find me in jeans and a v-neck sweater or hooded sweatshirt or long sleeve t-shirt (in winter).

Sharon@JoyInTheTruth said...

Randomness is good sometimes! :) Like the list!

Two random thoughts:

"candy" isn't really candy unless it involved CHOCOLATE! Candy corn...no!

Lemon Chiffon by Yankee is oh such a yummy scent!

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

It was good to hear from you Kelly!

I enjoyed reading your answers here, even though we do disagree on candy corn. :-)

I have heard from Greg on occasion; he told me a while ago that he can't open my blog, which is really weird. I don't have any idea why that is, or what to do about it! I miss hearing from him, and I still read his, but it's just not the same. {sniff}

I don't know why on earth I haven't followed you before...I always enjoy stopping by! Have a great week!

Irritable Mother said...

Ah, but have you ever eaten candy corn WITH peanuts? Like in your mouth at the same time? I wasn't much of a candy corn fan, but someone got me to try them with peanuts. It's pretty good!!!

Laughing with you about the surprise thing. I have thought before that it sure would be nice if my hubby would surprise me with a night out sometime. But in honest reflection I know I would spend half my time thinking about the other plans I had which were not being attended to.
Grrr. Being a control freak stinks!

Lois Lane II said...

Love this!!! =)

Vashti said...

Remember when you sent me my box of goodies??? Do you remember what you used for packaging????...........100's of little bags of candy corn.....NOW I KNOW WHY!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!
lots of love.
xxxxxx

Andrea said...

Hope your little one is feeling better, soon. There are so many people sick right now.

Blessings, andrea

Michelle said...

ewwww Neccos are SO gross........i've not had those in years and do not plan too anytime soon.

Heart2Heart said...

Kelly,

You and I have some commons grounds with our scents in candles as well as competitiveness in board games. Perhaps that is the reason that my family prefers not to play with mom unless she is on their team.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Sue J. said...

No Neccos. Candy corn is still a favorite, in season only. Don't go messing around with the color layers. Why are "they" trying to make this a multi-season candy?!

I've surprised you with some things and, you're right, it's been more of "the bomb" than "da bomb"! Hope I've learned by now.

And I hope you serve up your taco dip and pumpkin chocolate chip cake, too! (I made it yesterday...the cake--wow! The bus drivers are having it today for Transportation Appreciation Day.)

Hope Gigi is on the mend!

Mocha with Linda said...

So if so many of us hate candy corn, why do they still sell it?!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

I would love to come to your open house! And I agree with Heidi of 2 Thinks about your trophy.

Joyce said...

I laughed at the Necco wafer comment...I feel the same way about them as I do candy corn-if I just stopped at a couple I'd be fine but eating a whole bunch makes me sick to my stomach...there's something added to those candies that's not right!

Loved the games answer...I'm hugely competitive there as well...my kids restrict what games they'll agree to play with me. Apparently I get a little too intense : )

Hope your feverish child is feeling better!

Lea said...

Get out of here..........
No CANDYCORN?!! I'm appalled.
I'm reading your comments and it's like NO ONE out there likes candycorn??????? I could eat it by the gallon!
Loved this meme! HOW FUN!!

Edie said...

1. I love candy corn. :)

3. I have no doubt that when this world has ended and we no longer eat animals, that God will create a vegetable that tastes just like steak. LOL!

8. You're on! *wink*

It's nice to read a meme about you over here once in a while.

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

Ya, I'm with ya on the Candy corn too!! Liked reading this!! ;)

Linda said...

This made me giggle because I love candy corn and Neccos! ha.

I want to come to your fall open house and read your work and eat your yummy food!