Monday, June 15, 2009

Tasting the Difference

When I was dating my husband years ago, I was a big fan of frozen yogurt. I loved it. One evening we were on a date at the ice cream parlor. I had a scoop of my frozen yogurt treat, and he got an ice cream cone. As we sat enjoying our treats, he said "I don't know how you can eat that stuff."

"What do you mean?" I asked. "It tastes just like ice cream."

"Taste this," he said. Then I did it. I tasted his ice cream, right after I had eaten some of my yogurt. Oh my gosh! Where had he gotten that creamy delicious heavenly treat?!? And why was I eating dirt in a cone? It was disgusting. And so, next to the real thing, I realized I was only having an unappealing imitation, not the real creamy, yummy goodness of ice cream. (And a few pounds later, I'll bet he regrets showing me the difference. LOL!)

In life, we often fill up on many things. Our careers, our hobbies, our kids, our friends, food, television. We think these are all good things and we stuff ourselves with them, enjoying life. Then somehow, someway, we get a taste of Jesus.

Perhaps a friend shares with us, or we visit a church. It can be an accidental viewing of Billy Graham as you switch the channels, but you get a little bit of Jesus. Then suddenly all the things you were filling up with seem less appetizing. You realize they were just imitations. Nothing can compare with Jesus. He's the real thing. Accept no imitations.

And He's 100% calorie free. ;-)

Psalm 34:8 -- Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him.

Matthew 26:26-28 -- While they were eating, Jesus took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying, "Take and eat; this is my body." Then he took the cup, gave thanks and offered it to them, saying, "Drink from it, all of you. This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.


Chatty Kelly

22 comments:

Beverlydru said...

I've been thinking the last few days about a testimony I heard from a young woman several years ago... she was talking about being lukewarm. She said she was caught up in the world enough to be unhappy in God. And she had enough of God in her to be miserable in the world. I don't know what this has to do with your ice cream but since I beat ADHDme here today I'll be the one with random thoughts. : ) Love ya both.

God's girl said...

What an awesome analogy! And I love Beverlydru's comment too.

When we get the "real deal", it's hard to go back to the counterfeit stuff with excitement. Jesus keeps us coming back for more:)

God's girl said...

I just read your comment on my blog...

Favorite post??? Wow, who would have thought being waaaaayyyyyyyyyy too honest was pleasant:)

Thank you for always being encouraging!

LisaShaw said...

"Then somehow, someway, we get a taste of Jesus." BEAUTIFUL!!

Thanks for sharing with us Kelly and I read your comment on my blog--I'm not attending the Philly writers conference but let me know how it goes. I would have loved to meet you too!!! I'm not in a writers group yet so we'll see...

Bless ya!

On Purpose said...

Loving that the very Creator of taste buds has created ones that will only be satisfied with Him!

My ADHD Me said...

"Why was I eating dirt in a cone?"

We all get addicted to something in life. Whether it's coffee, diet coke or much much more detrimental things.

Getting addicted to God...the real thing. What a great analogy.

Greg C said...

I was right there with you until you said that Jesus was 100% calorie free. Actuall after Church we usually stop for some kind of treat so I am gaining weight. :) Great post Kelly!

Edie said...

This is a great analogy CK! I couldn't help but wonder if you managed a few more tastes of your hubby's ice cream after that first one. lol.

Jesus is not an imitation that's for sure. I hate that all those imitations are constantly trying to get in the way too.

Bonita said...

Great insight, Kelly! I used to like that dirt in a cone pretty well too.

Carmen said...

"Dirt in a cone" LOL!! You crack me up. =D

Lois Lane II said...

LOL!! What a great analogy!

Technonana said...

Oh Sweet Kelly... you and my friend Sassy are on the same page today... Maybe God has a theme going for today!!
Accept NO Substitute!!! Because Nothing else even comes close!!
Love You Girl,
Sharon

Angela said...

Excellent, excellent thoughts. Wonderful analogy as always.

Susanne said...

Truly nothing does compare with the Lord. Great analogy, Cathy.

Melanie said...

When I was a college student, frozen yogurt was my dinner several times a week. Loved it!
Melanie@Bella~Mella

christy rose said...

Wow what a great story and great analogy to Jesus!

Jeanette Levellie said...

Kelly; Wow. Althouh I love yougurt as much as ice cream, I agree with this analogy. We often sub things for the Real Deal: Jesus.
You are one wise lady!
Jen

Leslie said...

Calorie free and spiritually nutritious! And that nutrition overflows into all areas of your life (but not your hips, tummy or thighs!).

B His Girl said...

There is no flavor that compares to Him. Jesus Alone is more than enough but I can't seem to get enough of Him. I will keep tasting! B

Lea said...

I'm sayin WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WHAT A GREAT REMINDER...........
I want the REAL THING!
SMOOCHY KISSES MY FRIEND
AND MAY I SAY, the REAL THING...
has used you to be a REAL influence
for HIM!
Keep penning for Him. I can't wait to have a book by you in my hands that I can read these wonderful reminders as a devotional.
Love ya,
Lea

Runner Mom said...

This was great! I love filling up on on Him!! I just need to make sure that my time with Him is a priority so that I go away being full!

Thanks Kelly!!
Hugs,
Susan

Ronel Sidney said...

Wow, I just recently went through a frozen yogurt kick and then I got a scoop of real ice cream (strawberry) and haven't been able to go back to frozen yogurt. I think this is so true about getting a taste of Jesus and craving it everyday all day... luckily we don't gain weight from him..lol.