Friday, June 19, 2009

A Hallmark Moment

A hallmark is an official mark or stamp indicating a standard of purity, or any mark or special indication of genuineness and good quality. I had a bit of a "hallmark moment" in the middle of the Hallmark store this week.

I've never been a fan of those store created holidays. Reading Mother's Day and Father's Day cards reminds me of all I have missed over the years. "Thank you for always being there for me." "Thanks for supporting me and loving me unconditionally." "You molded me to the person I am today."

I didn't have a hallmark family, but I have been adopted into a new family, the family I received when I accepted Jesus as my Savior. Because of that I have my own hallmark (a mark of good quality). Ephesians 1:13 says "Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit." When God looks at me, he doesn't see my sin or weak attempts to do good. Instead He sees my Hallmark, given to me through Jesus by the Holy Spirit.

I'm not a fan of those Hallmark (store) holidays, but with my Hallmark of Christ, I really have a reason to celebrate. God...He cared enough to send the very best: Jesus.

Ephesians 1:13-14 -- And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession—to the praise of his glory. (NIV)

Romans 8:15 -- So you have not received a spirit that makes you fearful slaves. Instead, you received God’s Spirit when he adopted you as his own children. Now we call him, “Abba, Father.” (NLT)

Galations 4:4 -- You can tell for sure that you are now fully adopted as his own children because God sent the Spirit of his Son into our lives crying out, "Papa! Father!" Doesn't that privilege of intimate conversation with God make it plain that you are not a slave, but a child? And if you are a child, you're also an heir, with complete access to the inheritance. (The Message)


Chatty Kelly

20 comments:

Runner Mom said...

Good morning!
Kelly, this was a great post. Hubby thinks I should buy stock in Hallmark--I'm in there all the time buying cards! Ephesians1:13 is simply amazing in my book! I love that scripture. Thanks for you thoughts and for sharing you heart this morning. Have a great day!

Hugs,
Susan

Greg C said...

I don't like Hallmark cards. I am in the same boat when it comes to giving them to my mother. They don't make any that fit. "Thanks for always being there" Yea right. Oh well I agree, we have a new family now and He will always be there for us.

Beth in NC said...

I had a good childhood compared to some, but I even have a hard time picking out cards for my parents. They can't be too mushy because that just wouldn't describe my relationship with them.

You're right -- we are a member of THE family!

Love,
Beth

Kay Martin said...

Good work. I recall the Mother's Day and Father's Day "Hallmark Holidays" that used to make me sigh and wonder what the Beaver Cleaver folks felt in their hearts. I knew I missed much in my childhood on nurturing, etc., but as an adult I would see differences as my peers would speak of their parents.

But now with many decades of God working in my soul I love celebrating these times. Now, I sincerely honor my earthly mother and father because God has come into me to fill any voids and pitholes inside me that my childhood made.

Ps 27:10...When my father and my mother forsake me, then the LORD will take me up.

King David's words above were the beginning of the renewing of my mind and soul for me to celebrate Mother's Day and Father's Day.

Mocha with Linda said...

I love this.

And although I missed my mom on Mother's Day, it was a relief not to have to buy a card. They portray such unrealistically perfect relationships.

So glad Christ is my Hallmark!

christy rose said...

I have a friend who has got me into making cards. I put my own stamp on the back of them called "roses for you" cause Rose is my last name! I know kinda corny but at least it is me.
Great post Kelly!

Pinkshoelady said...

Hi Kelly,
I loved this post. My husband too did not have the Hallmark family. Yet he gives, loves and is as sentimental as caring as any character I've ever watched on a Hallmark card commercial because He followed the example of Jesus.
Have a great day.
Pamela

Irritable Mother said...

Oh, Kelly, I know what you mean - reading the sentiments in those cards.
I honestly get sad when I need to buy a birthday card for my parents, cuz I really can't relate to the words. I DO love my parents. But the "You've always been there for me," "You made me the person I am today," "Thanks for sticking by me all the time" statements just don't ring true.
I have finally decided that picking out one of those cards, with those flowery sentiments - THAT is my gift to them.

So thankful for my PERFECT heavenly Father!

Have a great weekend.

HisPrincess said...

You know it makes me wonder (and worry) about whether my kids are going to be able to pick a card for me....

Billy Coffey said...

I'm with you, Kelly. There are few things in this world I hate more than walking down the aisles of a Hallmark store.

And I'm with you, too, about your Hallmark moment. We're a big family, us Christians. But there's none better!

LisaShaw said...

Dear sis...you hit it dead on in this message. I'm so glad we are a part of the family of GOD! Don't need a hallmark card for that because His word to us is filled with beautiful words.

Love and blessings while I'm on blog break.

God's girl said...

I seriously love your analogies. I can't wait to buy your devotional some day:)

Edie said...

I have to agree with you about the "hallmark" cards that don't fit the sentiment. Maybe we should make cards for the missfit moments. Reality cards. :)

I'm glad He has annointed us with His seal. I've been studying that very thing this week.

Love you!

Debbie said...

What a great spin on that motto! Love it.

Leslie said...

Hi Kelly,

Stop on over at my blog when you can. I have something there for you!

My ADHD Me said...

I'm not a big fan of those greeting card holidays either. Not just mother's and father's day, but the others also.

Oh, and ditto.....you know.

Thankful Paul said...

Hello! :)

Amy De Trempe said...

Loved the post. So glad I came across it.

Beverlydru said...

I love this post. I liek the original definition of "hallmark" and how that relates to who we are in Christ. Isn't it amazing that you have a new lineage in Christ?! Thank God.

Peter Stone said...

Being part of God's family certainly is special - so wonderful to have such a perfect, loving Father. And if the Holy Spirit is the seal or deposit who guarantees what is to come, then wow! I can't wait to see what heaven's going to be like.