Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Love Songs

Love Hurts. Love Stinks. Love is a Battlefield. No, I'm not fighting with my husband. These are songs by the Everly Brothers, J. Geils Band, and Pat Benetar, respectively. They all share the topic of the pain of being in love and getting hurt. I think the reason they are all very popular and recognizable songs is that everyone has experienced a wound in love.

It doesn't have to be romantic love either. There can be great pain in the relationship with parents, children or in-laws. We have the expectation of what love means, and when our expectations are not met...Love stinks! (yeah, yeah).

God is love. His love is perfect and never fails. How does this translate in this world we live in, where love stinks? It is really incomprehensible that we can realize what this means...God is love. Cause love hurts, love stinks, love is a battlefield. (whoa, whoa, whoaaaaaaaaaaaaa, love is battlefield).

The Everly Brothers sang "Love hurts, love scars, love wounds and mars." (Don't you bet they were fun on a date?) In Jesus case, this is true. Because he loved us so much, he died on the cross, wounded and marred. After his resurrection, he showed his nail scarred hands to Thomas.

The bible tells us the true definition of love. God is love. "This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins." (1 John 4:10)

Don't be like Waylon Jennings and go "Looking for love in all the wrong places." You only need to look to God to find true love. And then you'll discover another heart looking for love.

Psalm 33:18 -- But the eyes of the LORD are on those who fear him, on those whose hope is in his unfailing love

Psalm 136:1 -- Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good. His love endures forever

John 3:16 -- For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.


Click "Chatty Comments" to leave a comment about your favorite love song or about God's unfailing love.

11 comments:

The Patterson 5 said...

I think it's because of our limits on love that we find God's love so amazing! My favorite love song..."Amazing love how can it be that my King would die for me! Amazing love I know it's true and it's my joy to honor You" I am not certain of the artist but I enjoy the praise in the song!

HisPrincess said...

Amazing Love is also one of my favourites!

We sang it at church on Sunday, and I just love it. The lyrics are so beautiful and powerful.

The artist is Chris Tomlin by the way.

Truth4thejourney said...

Isaiah 55:8 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD."

Boy isn't this verse true! The world has us so confused. We need to stay immersed in God's Word to see what is real and true. :)

Runner Mom said...

Hey!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog yesterday!! Yours is great!! I have to agree with your first two comments that my fav love song is "Amazing Love" also--now, I knew this before I looked at what they wrote!! I didn't copy them :)!! Thanks for sharing the scriptures on love as well!!! Where in Virginia are you?

Blessings,
Susan

PS--Loved the post on the flat tummies!! I want mine to look like Dara's!! But it "ain't" gonna happen!! I don't care how many crunches I do! :)

Runner Mom said...

Hey! Your area is very pretty! Ran the marathon there several years ago. Loved the historic area and the James River!! Hope you have great day!!

My ADHD Me said...

Ok, Everyone's favorite love song is Amazing Love...mine is Love Stinks. hhhmmm.
This was a great post. One of my favorites.

Starr said...

Ahhh! The many facets of love! I loved this post!!
Love and Blessings,
Starr

The Patterson 5 said...

In response to your comment! You guys are special to us too! Mr P's interview- same office bigger desk! We probably will be here from now on. We love it here just my parents are there and like it or not- getting older.

Anonymous said...

lies all lies....(10000 calories a day pfttt!)

-E

Carolee said...

Thanks too for the visit to my blog...since I was empowered at an early age with a wandering mind(that once was a burden but now something God is using as a gift!)
I love...love, love..."I Can Only Imagine" by Mercy Me.

6HappyHearts said...

Thanks for stopping by my lil' blog world! This post is so true! I was just trying to explain this to someone last night & was not as eloquent. I think I'll direct them here ; )
Hebrews 13:5b comes to mind..."He will never leave or forsake me.."
God Bless YOU!