Monday, August 11, 2008

I Can't Get No Satisifaction....

(with my apologies to the Rolling Stones).

I've discovered a delicious, sweet, and low calorie treat! It is Jello-O Rice pudding in Creme Brulee flavor. And it is mmm-mmm-good. It is sugar free and only 70 calories. I've been enjoying it each night as my evening dessert. It is completely satisfying.

The other night I sat out my pudding, and then proceeded to make each of my girls an ice cream cone. I took a lick off of the ice cream cone before I gave it to my daughter. It was sweet, creamy and so delicious. I then sat down to my "delicious, sweet pudding." Suddenly it didn't taste sweet at all. It was no longer the sweet, creamy treat I'd enjoyed all week. I was like Mic Jagger, unable to get any satisfaction...from my pudding!

Our lives are often like that. We're going along, happy and satisfied. And then we get a "taste" of what our neighbor has. Then we are no longer content. This can happen in an instant. We can drive home in our brand new 2008 vehicle, only to find out that our neighbor's 2008 came with the "Limited Package." Suddenly, joy can be stolen.

Maybe cars aren't your thing. If you're a mom, perhaps its the honor student or football hero next door that makes you and your mothering feel inferior. If you're married, maybe its the romantic trips "her" husband takes her on. It can be something as small and insignificant as another woman's beautiful french manicure that makes you & your natural stubby nails feel "less than."

Paul said he had learned the secret of being content. He learned to focus on whatever is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, and admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. (Philippians 4:8) Maybe I need to change my focus. From what I don't have to what I do. Then Paul says the God of Peace will be with me.

Please comment on the things that rob your contentment, or the way you fight off becoming discontent. Or even on your favorite low-cal dessert (I love comments!) Me, I'm going to go enjoy some sugar free pudding - - the satisfaction will come when I step on the scales. :-)

To leave a comment, click the word "Chatty Comment" below. You can then write your comment in the text box. Click anonymous if you don't have a google account (you can include your name or initials if you wish.) Thanks for commenting!

Exodus 20:17 -- You shall not covet your neighbor's house. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.

Philippians 4:12 -- I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.

Hebrews 13:5 -- Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."

17 comments:

Truth4thejourney said...

You are so right, Kelly! I was just saying how much I LOVE my house and then we had dinner at a new friends house. I think my mouth didn't shut the whole time we were there, it was my dream home! Windows everywhere. I told my hubby that this was going to be our next house.

Before I got home I realized that it had the potential to steal my joy and contentment so I let it go, and I still LOVE my house! I'm so glad for the Holy Spirit.

Alyce said...

Kelly,
That is soo true. I seem to "preach" that to my kids all the time..BE CONTENT...with what you have. In a world of "gimmes" and instant gratification, we lose focus. I can do it just as much as my kids probably. Like truth4thejourney said, it could be my home, that I love..and then go to someone else's home and their cabinets are prettier than mine. Or it could be that my kids are acting unruly in a store, but then you see a young mom w/ 5 kids, all behaving. I think we all can have a touch of this "disease" and we all just need to focus on the One that can give us the most satisfaction.
PS....peach pie recipe is UP!

The Patterson 5 said...

The green eyed monster struck me while on our vacation over the ammount and quality of time my inlaws spend with other members of my father-in-law's wife's family. (Confusing I know) I was feeling hurt, a little sad, alot jealous and it was robbing me of the joy of remembering the great moments we shared with them. A wise, dear friend :) shared her experiences with extended family issues that are similar to our family. I felt understood, validated and more able to accept things as they are and to see the good and true things that are there. (I only needed to stop focusing on my discontentment and be content with what is.) I am so thankful for my freind and for the Holy Spirits work through her! Thanks CK!

Julie Gillies said...

What a great post, Kelly.

My daughter-in-law was visiting us last year and we visited some local model homes. Now, I have a very nice home. Big and nice. But these homes were BIGGER. And NICER. They had vanishing edge pools, elevators, spiral staircases, custom this and spectacular that.

I fought discontmentment for all of 5 minutes. Because in the end, I won't dare be discontented with the beautiful home the Lord has given us. Yes, a girl can dream, but godliness with contentment is great gain!

Beverlydru said...

I must confess that when I meet other speakers that speak more than I do (most of them do!), I get frustrated and envious. Then I am reminded that God orders my steps and He will open just the right doors that I am supposed to go through. At just the right time. My life is in HIS HANDS! Good thing - I can make a mess fast when I think I'm in charge.

PS That 70 calorie dessert sounds like something I want to try!

My ADHD Me said...

Hi CK, you know, usually I'm not the type to be jealous of what others have. But your post came just in time. I have been on a self-pity trip for the last few days....house needs expensive work...JM needs a car (aka my newest post)....people are talking about where their kids are going to college...and of course the every day battle of my marriage.
Anyway, your post was right on the mark and right on time. TIME? (you ask?) Time to get out of the pit, of course!

Starr said...

I don't know why things always seem greener on the other side. I'm the same way. I am satisfied until I see someone else that has something better, then mine doesn't look so good anymore. That shames me to say.
I am so glad God reminds us of our many blessings. Thanks for your wonderful post. It lets me know I am not alone in my "coveting"! I am working on it though!
Guess it's the flesh that kicks in every now and then.
Love,
Starr

Pinkshoelady said...

Hi Chatty Kelly!

First, thank you so much for the kind and helpful words you shared with me this weekend. I appreciate your friendship more than I could tell ya!

What robs me of contentment is being envious of people who don't have to worry about things. I'm not usually envious of others material things...but their peace!

If the enemy can get me worrying about something He can rob my joy quick!

So I am trying to learn to be content and trust instead of worry.

You know what? I don't like worry! Maybe its time to let FAITH kick it to the curb!

Thanks!
Pamela

On Purpose said...

This will be naughty but my true satisfaction comes when I eat dessert and have no idea how many calories are in it...hehe!

Your blog is fun...keep it up!

Rebecca Ingram Powell said...

Reading other people's cool blogs can leave me feeling "Less than!" I don't know how you girls do it, and the easy camaraderie you find is so appealing, too!

I think you hit the nail on the head, Kelly, and once again, I find that the things I feel so alone in struggling with are truly universal! Thanks for opening up so that we could all SEE OURSELVES!

Anonymous said...

God hath not promised
Skies always blue,
Flower strewn pathways
All our lives through;
God hath not promised
Sun without rain,
Joy without sorrow,
Peace without pain.

But God hath promised
Strength for the day,
Rest for the labor
Light for the way,
Grace for the trials,
Help from above,
Unfailing sympathy,
Undying Love.

- Annie Johnson Flint

Bonita said...

Great post! I have to be so careful in many areas. I agree with Rebecca that reading other blogs that are so well written and have comments galore can strike a nerve. Women who are very poised and at ease with public speaking and social settings make me feel so inadequate. Then there is the matter that I live in the second largest banking capital in the U.S. and I'm surrounded by women who live in gigantic houses, drive fancy cars, go on exotic vacations, shop nearly everyday and actually buy things, and who never seem to have money concerns- and are often decades younger than me with small children. Yes, comparison is definitely a contentment killer.

HisPrincess said...

This is something that I struggle with every Sunday when I go to church. I am unequally yoked. I struggle to get my teenage kids to come to church with me. I have to really fight the guilt, shame, and envy I feel everytime I go to church alone....

And I will fight it. With the Lords help I can do anything.

Rue said...

Hi Kelly :)

Thank you so much for dropping by!

This was a great reminder for all of us. I think we all need to remember that the grass isn't always greener too :)

rue

Tammy R said...

Being content isn't a easy place for me to stay.Your words spoke to my heart and reminded me of my mom...she was always content.

She died four years ago at the age of 88,tragically.But through it all her last words were"Oh no honey,I'm fine." She showed me contentment in every situation.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

The house thing gets me probably more than anything, but really, I'm pretty content with my life. Funny that you'd mention the nails, though; I do covet beautiful fingernails!

Susan said...

Yeah...I find that I often see what someone else has and suddenly I am noticing what I "don't have"...it's a trap for sure.

But, I love that God is teaching me to rest in what He's given me...which is more than enough!!

:-) Susan