Monday, June 16, 2008

She Speaks Conference

The irony isn't lost on "Chatty" Kelly that the conference I'm going to this weekend is called "She Speaks." Well duh! It could be called "She never stops speaking!" In my prep work, I've been reading lots of writing blogs and books, and have noticed a big piece of advice is to find your writing "voice." Chatty Kelly has never lost her voice...Has she?

Your writing voice is the tone that comes across in your writing. It should fit your personality. Agent Rachelle Gardner put it this way "Your writer's voice is the expression of YOU on the page. It's that simple—and that complicated. Your voice is all about honesty. It's the unfettered, non-derivative, unique conglomeration of your thoughts, feelings, passions, dreams, beliefs, fears and attitudes, coming through in every word you write.Voice is all about your originality and having the courage to express it."

When you read "Monkeys are Funny" (my sisters blog), you know you are hearing her voice (or perhaps one of the many voices she hears in her head - JUST KIDDING!). But I don't know if I'm projecting my "voice." Lost my voice?!? I'm not even sure if I've found it.

This weekend I hope to learn more about finding my writing voice. And I think a big part of that will come from listening for that still small voice that leads. The voice of God.

Exodus 15:26 - - He said, "If you listen carefully to the voice of the LORD your God and do what is right in his eyes, if you pay attention to his commands and keep all his decrees, I will not bring on you any of the diseases I brought on the Egyptians, for I am the LORD, who heals you."

1Kings 19:11-12 - - And He said, Go out and stand on the mount before the Lord. And behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains and broke in pieces the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake; And after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire; and after the fire a still, small voice.

Revelation 3:20 - - Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.

7 comments:

Sue J said...

Believe it or not, my writing is voice is much closer to who I am--but that is because speaking is such a new concept to me. I'm not sure I have a defined speaking voice yet. (And, so, opportunities like being a MOPS Mentor Mom will help continue to shape that part of me.)

As boring as this advice is, the more you write, the more you will improve your writing, and you and your writing voice will be in tandem.

I'm just way excited for you about the whole thing--a year in the making (at least....well, since eternity began, actually) and now it's here. ENJOY!

The Patterson 5 said...

I am excited for the opportunity for your growth. You've always been a strong fisher of men (women)! Helping others to find and seek a relationship with Christ. In your speaking voice and writing voice you encourage others to find their strengths and use them for God's work. May your voice become stronger for God in your listening at She Speaks!

My ADHD Me said...

I have no doubt that your voice will be heard loud and strong. I see big things in your future. I know that sounds like some sort of "hocus pocus jargon" but I am saying it seriously. And you are right, I can actually hear your voice when I read your blog. On the other hand, I hear voices even when I'm not reading your blog. I wonder which of my voices you hear when you read my blog..It's mine, No, it's mine, NO it's mine, not her's. mine....

HisPrincess said...

I feel that my writing voice is much closer to me than my speaking voice. I am much more eloquent with the written word, I have always found it far easier to express how I feel in writing than I do speaking. I guess its a confidence thing. Thats what I love about blogging. It's the real me.

Bonita said...

You know, I find it interesting that you're trying to find your writing voice when I hear it coming through loud and clear in everything that you write. You may be very surprised by what you discover this weekend.

Sonya said...

I am so glad we're on this journey together! We are going to be so blessed this weekend and I know you'll be a much more confident writer at the end (as i will be too). I like you're voice just the way it is. It's encouraging and loving and real and it always teaches God's truths to point people to Him.

See you on Thursday, AAAHHH!!

Robin (the PENSIEVE one) said...

Hey :),

Lisa B. and I are just trying to get word out for an impromptu Blogger's lunch on Friday. Please...join us if you can!

Blogger's Lunch 11:30 am
Chili's Grill & Bar
1365 Concord Pkwy N
Concord, NC
Exit 58 off I85
Phone: (704) 721-3859

(I didn't see an email, so I'm posting this in comments :) If you can come, please let one of us know! :)).

Robin @
http://pensieve.typepad.com/pensieve/

and Lisa @
http://www.simplyhisblogger.com/