Friday, June 13, 2008

God's Plan

Yesterday I had a play date planned with my friend Sonya and our children. Sonya & I don't get to see each other often. She has 6 children and home schools. I also keep a busy schedule with my 2 kids and various volunteer activities. It's hard to find time on the calendar to get together, so we only see each other a few times a year and it is treasured time. We were excited about getting together...plus we had lots of planning to do as we are attending She Speaks together next week, (God willing!)

When she emailed me on Tuesday she'd been up all night with a sick child...the 5th child to come down with the throw-up bug, I gently suggested we reschedule...germaphobe that I am! I'm sure she was disappointed, and I was too, but it seemed like the right decision.

On Wednesday I received a phone call from another friend. She was feeling down, desperately sick with morning sickness (all day!), exhausted and just out of sorts. I suggested her kids spend some time here on Thursday (my cancelled Sonya day). It's rare I have a big slot of free time like that - but there was Thursday wide open. I picked up her kids and they had a ball over here. They played so well with my kids, that I had time in the kitchen to make a dinner to send home with them for the evening.

While I was initially disappointed to miss my fun day with Sonya, I know God's plans prevailed. People sometimes say "if you want to make God laugh, tell him YOUR plans." My plans didn't go as expected yesterday, but I'm glad that I was able to help out a friend in need...God's plan, all along.

James 4:13-15 -- Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money." Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, "If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that."

Proverbs 19:21-- Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand.

Jeremiah 29:11 -- For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

7 comments:

Alyce said...

Nothing takes God by surprise! He knew exactly what was going to happen..

The Patterson 5 said...

sometimes my best days are change of plan days! Thanks for keeping yourself open and flexible to change as you were used by God to help out a sister in Christ!

Sonya said...

Wow, I'm glad God had plans to help you out, and today child #6 is throwing up! So, praise God that you all didn't come over and get exposed. Since this is the last child, Next week we can get together, no problem. (Or I should say, "Lord willing, we'll get together next week!)

With God, it's all about trust! My side of the story was that I was able to get the whole house cleaned yesturday, and with a sick child today, what a blessing that was for me! God is so good.

Susie Harris said...

Made me think... I get so out of sorts when my plans sometimes change... Guess our Lord knows what we need when we need it. thanks for that post I needed to hear that! Susie H

My ADHD Me said...

Plans? What are they?
Just kidding.
If you friend with morning sickness is the mutual friend of ours, let her know that I am here if she needs me. Unfortunately, I don't have kids the same age as hers to play with but perhaps there is something I can do to help....even if it is to help you help her. UNLESS, she reads my blog in which case she might be afraid to leave her children with me. (JK again!)
Also, you are such a good friend to be there for her. You've been there for me too and it's such a good feeling to know help is around the corner.

HisPrincess said...

Thats a great reminder to stop and think when your plans are changed unexpectedly. I will try to remember to embrace these changes and accept that God is sending me elsewhere!

Gina Conroy said...

This comment has been removed by the author.