Tuesday, June 10, 2008

A Time For Everything

A coincidence is defined in Dictionary.com as "a striking occurrence of two or more events at one time apparently by mere chance." As Christians, we sometimes refer to this incidents as God-incidents instead of coincidence, as we believe God is working things together for his glory, and certainly not by "mere chance."

On May 23rd Lysa Terkeurst blogged about "Deep Grief" on her website. This is the type of grief caused by the loss of a child, sibling or spouse. On June 5, I ended up visiting the website of LeAnn Rice (another Proverbs 31 ministry leader) and her blog was on How to Help Someone Who is Grieving. And Sunday at church, my bible study group, which is studying "Facing Your Giants" by Max Lucado did the chapter on grief. We even had a special speaker from a Grief Support Group.

Now these are mighty interesting God-incidents, don't you think? Today, I am heading to the funeral of my aunt. I hadn't seen her in probably 10 or more years, so while I feel sorrow over her loss, and for my dad who has lost his sister, I don't personally feel deep grief. But I pray that this is the God-incident that is these reason I've been giving all these "links" to learn about grieving, because to consider anything else is...unthinkable.

I'm 40 years old and have yet to experience a great loss of a loved one. I know it will happen sooner than I'd like. And I pray I can stand firm in the faith of a loving Father to be my strong tower, and a Savior who has experienced grief himself.

Proverbs 18:10 The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe.

John 11:32-35 {Lazarus Death} When Mary [sister of Lazarus] reached the place where Jesus was and saw him, she fell at his feet and said, "Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died." When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who had come along with her also weeping, he was deeply moved in spirit and troubled. "Where have you laid him?" he asked. "Come and see, Lord," they replied. Jesus wept.

Ecclesiastes 3:1-4 There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance.

5 comments:

The Patterson 5 said...

My prayers are with you and your family today as you remember a special Aunt.

Anonymous said...

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers today.
V.

Sonya said...

Praying for you and your family today.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I've been thinking more about grieving recently. Not because there is more of it now then there was 10 years ago, but I think my maturing has something to do with it.

Life experiences and time have a way of refocusing our hearts and minds. Mine has certainly shifted from the care-free days of young living to a more contemplative focus about what's "truly important" in life.

It's the season I'm in, and I rather like it. When I consider the time I've wasted with so many trivial things...for all of those years when I didn't take Scripture study seriously, well, I sometimes wish I could recapture that time. Now, I'm simply cramming all of the living I can into the moments I'm given.

It suits me, even if the questions are hard ones.

You've offered me some perspective tonight.

peace~elaine

Kitty H said...

I think it's so natural to begin considering grief before it happens. These seasons are a part of every life and the more we can accept them as normal, but sad seasons, the more willing we are to lean on the Lord when a loss hits, remembering that really, life is good.