Monday, May 19, 2008

Only a Boy Named David

Sunday after church as I sat at the PC to write my blog, I asked my husband "what should I blog about for Monday?" "How about David?" he replied. "David Archuleta?" I asked, thinking of the American Idol contestant. "No! King David." was his reply.

Talk about a communication gap. I had just finished reading the TV guide cover story on the two David's on the American Idol finale, Archuleta & Cook. My husband was still thinking about our Sunday School class on Max Lucado's "Facing Your Giants" on the life of King David.

So since many this week will be focusing on the Battle of the 2 Davids (Archuleta & Cook), I'll hold a battle of the 2 David's (Archuleta & King David). For the sake of confusion, I'll refer to the Biblical David as King David, even though he wasn't King yet in some of the instances.

Both were young men who enjoyed singing. Archuleta has performed Angels, Smokey Mountain Memories, Long and Winding Road, and arguably his most popular, Imagine. King David penned and sang 73 different Psalms including arguably his most popular, the 23rd Psalm (The Lord is My Shepherd).

Both young men play instruments, with Archuleta on the piano and King David on the harp and lyre.

We know about both young men's fathers. Jeff Archuleta is known to be a stage dad, always with David, and encouraging him. King David's father, Jesse, on the other hand left David in the field tending sheep when Samuel came to anoint one of his sons. He never even considered David in the selection, but David is just who God selected as the future king. (1 Samuel 16)

Finally we have other folks opinions. Randy calls David Archuleta "the hot one, dawg" and "the one to beat." Paula refers to him as "glorious," and Simon has called him a "Master class."

But Samuel referred to King David as "a man after God's own heart. " (1Samuel 13:14, Acts 13:22). The author of Hebrews describes David as someone who lives by faith. The author of 1 Kings states David followed the Lord completely (11:6).

Tuesday night the American Idol finale will air, and on Wednesday night the next American Idol will be crowned. I don't know which of those Davids will win. But the truly idyllic David is King David.

Who gets your vote?

7 comments:

Bonita said...

Great comparison between the two Davids and I have to wonder if their appearance and personalities might have borne some similarities that we don't know about. I could easily look at David Archuletta and see a young King David. I hope he will have King David's courage, but forego his less than stellar moments! I might be mistaken, but I thought I read somewhere that David Archuletta is a Christian. If so, maybe he is a man after God's own heart too!

I watch American Idol, but never vote, but he would get my vote if I did. However, in the realm of real life living, I'd choose a man after God's own heart regardless of his name!

Sue J said...

Fantastic! And we know who you're rooting for....

"'Do not look at his appearance or at the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.'"

This is one of my favorite Old Testament passages as it cuts to the heart of what God is all about and explains why our world is such a tough place in which to live, sometimes.

What happens to these kids that we root for? Where are their hearts? Chris Sligh may not have passed the popularity test, but I don't think you can sing "Empty Me" without recognizing the call of God on your heart.

I started watching AI with the intent of hearing some talented folks sing. I can't help now but be interested in seeing life after the show, and where the hand of God moves.

Anyway, great work!

The Patterson 5 said...

We haven't yet tuned in to AI, but maybe we will for the finale! I hope that David Archuletta is a Christian as with King David, if he is he is sure to go far!

Alyce said...

I'll keep reading your blog to keep updated on AI..this is the first season since its been on that I haven't watched it. I remember David Cook on the auditions and thought he was very, very good. I don't know much about the other one...so I can't really give an opinion.
We'll see this week, huh?
Alyce

Anonymous said...

Your writing and blogs just keep getting better and better. What a wonderful gift you have! I look foward to each new blog.
MJT

HisPrincess said...

Hi I'm visiting your blog for the first time and I've found your "chatting" really interesting and thought provoking.

We won't get AI over here in Australia til the season ends for you there, and we've heard nothing about it at all since that Australian guy left, so I can't give an opinion on those Davids.

As for King David, I often think about him when I think I've messed up too much for God to ever keep loving me. David messed up, and he repented and was saved. I hold that close to my heart, keeps me sane sometimes!

Anonymous said...

How saved are we? Tear down the "idols" and worship God! My 3 year old autistic foster son has more Jesus than y'all!