Friday, May 23, 2008

God Rules!


My daughters love to ride their bikes, especially my 8 year old. And while I have been known to be legalistic in my rules, I sometimes let her ride without her helmet if they are only riding in the yard or driveway. Not my husband…he says wear it every time, then there is never a question of when she wears it. It’s a rule, all the time. She often complains about her dad’s rules, the helmet, having to wear tennis shoes or crocs when biking (no flip-flops or sandals), etc. I try to explain that he just wants her to be safe.

The other day as I came home from the grocery store (and the girls had been home with their dad), she ran out to greet me. “I fell off my bike while riding on the sidewalk. I hit my head on the sidewalk, but I had my helmet on and it didn’t even hurt. Dad’s rules rule!” I had to laugh. These “terribly unfair” rules became great because they helped her out.

It reminded me about God & his “rules.” I’ve heard folks say that they didn’t want to become a Christian because then they couldn’t have any “fun” anymore. Or why do those Christians have so many rules! Well, God doesn’t want us to hate his rules, but to love them. They keep us safe, just like that bicycle helmet.

The most important rule is to love God with all your heart, and to love others as much as you love yourself. (Jesus tells us this in the Bible in Mark 12:28-31.) My husband loves our daughter so much, he can’t bear the thought that she might get hurt – and that’s EXACTLY why God gives us his rules. I’m glad I have a Father (a heavenly Father named God!) who loves me so much…just like my daughter does.

3 comments:

The Patterson 5 said...

God's rules are such a blessing. They keep us happy and safe! Really they are freeing- when we follow God's rules we can keep ourselves from much heart ache. Thanks for the postive lesson on rules!

Sonya said...

This was a good reminder to embrace God's rules and be thankful for them. I'm glad your daughter is safe, too!!

HisPrincess said...

Thankyou for the reminder.

Love God with all your heart. Can't be any simpler or clearer, but I still manage to complicate it.