Friday, August 14, 2009

Me: An Award Winning Writer

One of my favorite blogs to read is by literary agent, Rachelle Gardner. She offers so many tips and strategies for the writer, that if you aspire to take it to the next level I highly recommend her blog.

On Tuesday she posted about what NOT to say in your query letter. One of the things is how long you've been writing, "Since I was a young girl I've enjoyed writing." The fact is, how long you've been writing is not as relevant as how good a writer you are. Then to allow us to get it out of our system, she encouraged us to leave comments on how long we've been writing.

I commented that I've only written for publication for about 2 years. Later, when I went back to read other comments and read all these "since grade school" comments, I remembered something. In 2nd grade I won the writing contest in my class! And it was published in the school newsletter!

Now the problem with this wonderful memory is that I can't put it in my next query letter. No one cares. But you know where I can share it? RIGHT HERE! So, I won the creative writing contest in my 2nd grade class, and here is my true & real entry:

Jack-o-lantern, Jack-o-lantern, in the air,
Jack-lantern, Jack-o-lantern, give me a stare.
Jack-o-lantern, Jack-o-lantern, on a stick,
Jack-0-lantern, Jack-o-lantern, quick, quick, quick.


Please do not ask me what this means, I have no idea. Why was the pumpkin in the air, or on a stick or in a hurry? I don't know. But what I do know it this...

I am a published, award-winning writer. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Chatty Kelly

23 comments:

Truth4thejourney said...

This is so precious! I'm glad you shared your award winning story with us. Jack-O-Lantern is a big word for such a young child. It was simply precious.

Keep writing and winning those awards.

Sonya Lee

Julie Gillies said...

How sweet is THAT? You were DESTINED to become the amazing writer that you are, Kelly!

And hey, work the system, baby. ;)

Edie said...

I LOVE this Kelly. It is a wonderful testimony that it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose. Philippians 2:13

He was designing you for what He had planned for you all along.

This just reminded me that I once won a coloring contest when I was a kid. :)

Much love my friend!!

Runner Mom said...

Precious!! Don't you love how we remember these things from out past? Kelly, you are a great writer!!

Hugs!
Susan

Jess said...

this. poem. rocks.


love,
jess

Collette@Jesuslovesmums said...

Love it Kelly ! You are a great writer!
Collette xxx

Lighthouse Prayer Line said...

Hi friend,

Thanks for sharing that with us! We love your
site!!

Hey. If you get the opportunity, would you
mind praying for the prayer requests that are
on our main page? We would also be very
honored if any of your readers would join us
in praying.

May the Lord bless you and your family!!

Mark, Lynn, Brooke & Carley Seay
www.LighthousePrayerLine.org

ps - please consider "following" our blog
-or- atleast grab one of our free, linking,
blue buttons. ( see top sidebar at
www.LighthousePrayerLine.org ).

•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Visit Us Soon!.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´•

Melanie said...

OR, are you a "jack o lantern on a stickING" to it?
Congrats on your grade school award!
Melanie@Bella~Mella

Bonita said...

Work it baby! Every credit counts!

I love this because it made me realize that I'm a published award winning author too, only mine was in a library contest in fourth grade.

Sharon@JoyInTheTruth said...

Congratulations on this writing award...albeit several years tardy in the congratulations...but sincere anyway! Now, I will always think about you when I see a Jack-O-Lantern. :)

I am going to check out Rachelle's site. :)

B His Girl said...

How fun to remember you were an award winning writer in elementary school! We took note of it here. Applause: )

Heart2Heart said...

Kelly,

Isn't it truly wonderful and amazingly creative we, as kids, with our writing can be.

Some of my best writing especially when I think back about it now, would have made for great children's books.

Hmm perhaps yours can go in a child's book about Halloween. It's simple and catchy and something I can picture kids saying over and over again.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

KelliGirl said...

Oh, how cute! See you've had the writing bug in you all this time.

I know you'll be winning some awards as a grown-up, too.

Sue J. said...

I like the "give me a stare" line. That's deep! There is something very mysterious about pumpkin faces and I think you must have felt that vibe and wrote about it.

Does that mean you're house-cleaning?

Have fun! Home soon....

Mich said...

Just stopped by for a visit... the poem is too cute!

My ADHD Me said...

Oh My Goodness!!
I REMEMBER THIS!!!!

I didn't realize it was an award winning piece, but I do remember it.

An outstanding piece of work!!

It's funny how much we think alike. I was just thinking yesterday about a poem I wrote in 7th grade that I might post. Great minds think alike.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Could have been a witchy jack-o-lantern since he was in the air and on a stick.
I love Bonita's 'Work it Baby!'
I think your little poem may be stuck in my head now. Now that you've published it, it's destined to be a classic.

Wouldn't it be funny-ironic if a person who really wanted to be published became famous for a simple poem like this and couldn't get get a novel published? That sounds like a short story to me.

Beth in NC said...

Ha! WTG Kelly! Well, I wrote a poem in elementary school that I still remember:

Thunder is a hammer, hitting on the sky;
Lightning is a flashlight with crooked beams that shine.
Rain is a lady watering her flowerbed, sprinkling it on everybody's head.

lol

Yes, I know -- such a work of art. :o)

Blessings!
Beth

My ADHD Me said...

Hey, please "invite" me to your KIDS SAY blog.
Thanks,
Me

My ADHD Me said...

Me again. Just read some of your Twitter. Another contract!?! COOL! Call me later and tell me about it.

Carmen said...

HA! Your poem is timeless...it still has appeal, even if it doesn't make much sense. Too sweet!!

Joyfulsister said...

Hi Sis,
Awww That is so ~~~Sweet~~~~ and too precious. I wish I kept the poems I wrote as a child, who knew it was something I would be doing today!!!

Hugz Lorie

Mary Moss said...

Too, too funny!!! Thanks for sharing your first creative work with us: :-)