Monday, August 10, 2009

Back From Philly


Wow! What a whirlwind trip to Philly. There were ups & downs along the way, to be sure. The trip down with Sonya & Laurie was great, and it was so wonderful to have these ladies companionship on the trip.

I was blessed by Sharon who lives in the Philly area. She was away on vacation, so we didn't get to meet, but she had a WONDERFUL gift bag waiting at the hotel for me. Talk about an inviting welcome! Thank you Sharon. Notice the bag says "Sisters in Christ."

These are the goodies from the bag. And the devotional book is actually one I was planning on getting! So exciting. Do you see that is Starbucks coffee? Mmmm.




The actually conference was tough. It's hard to show someone your work, your PASSION, your "baby," and have them not love it. I had a "practice your pitch" session on Wed night and the faculty member said "You hit it out of the park!" and all the other class members loved my book idea, so when I met with an editor, giving the same pitch, and he looked at me said, "What is your second idea...do you have another idea?" it was rather dejecting! What? What is my 2nd idea? Do you hate the first one so much you can't even comment on it?


Truly he didn't like the idea. Luckily I had another idea (which in my mind was MUCH weaker than the first) and he said he could see that one becoming a book with 3,000 copies distributed. This wasn't good news to me, as I wasn't excited about my 2nd idea at all. On to the next meeting!


I meet with another editor who said they only take 12 books a year, so right away my chances there was SLIM and they take "deeper living" books, and my book isn't deep at all! On to the next meeting!


The next guy was very encouraging and offered helpful ideas and told me to email him the book. He was funny and I enjoyed this meeting a lot.


Finally, I had my last meeting. Praise the Lord, the editor was "intrigued" by my idea and wanted to take it back to his publishing board. Yay! He was very honest and said that my idea would be a resounding yes, or he'd be laughed out of the room. So my idea is either very good...or very not good. ;-)


Finally, in one my panel meetings, an agent said something very reassuring. She talked about a wonderful book she'd been pitched a while back, "Devotions at Disney." The author had made devotions based on the rides at Disney World, where parents could do devos with their kids every morning before they hit the park. She thought this was a great idea. But because Disney wasn't behind it, the book could never be published. A great idea, but just not doable. She likened my book idea to that one.


The BEST thing about the conference was friendships. My friend Sonya & I got to spend 4 days together! It was wonderful! Unbelievably, I didn't take any photos of us, so I borrowed this one Sonya took, from her blog.

Laurie & I, below, got to know each other better at the conference. I feel blessed to have been able to encourage her. She has a beautiful spirit!




Leslie actually got to spend more time with Sonya than with me. They both attended the same general session. Leslie is so upbeat and it was fun to spend time together.




Kelli was at She Speaks last year, though I don't think we met. But we connected through blogging and it was so great to spend time with her this trip. She is a neat person, and I would have loved to have been able to spend more time with her! (Although she asked if I wanted her to stoop down for the picture! Ha! She isn't THAT much taller than I am, is she??)



The best part of the conference was on Friday night when we all went to dinner, along with new friends Susan and Shelley. Well, we ended up closing down the cafeteria! The time went so fast, that the staff actually asked us to leave so they could lock up. The time flew as we were sharing and laughing, and being sisters in the Christ...just like Sharon's gift bag said!

You know, that is what it's really about. Yes, I learned a lot. But my sisters made it all worthwhile!

Chatty Kelly

29 comments:

Sharon@JoyInTheTruth said...

Welcome home! So glad to hear about the trip and conference. It really is all about relationships, isn't it? The Lord blessed your time with the sisters in Christ! :) The fellowship is so sweet!

You will love "Jesus Calling"! It's one of my all-time faves! So glad you didn't already have it. The kids and I dropped off the bag at the hotel before we left for vacation. We had fun! And I picked that "Sisters in Christ" bag out on purpose! God is so gooooood!

He will surely bring about His will for you and your writings. So glad your weekend was blessed with your sisters in Christ. The rest is just gravy! :)

Pour some gravy on it!

Collette@Jesuslovesmums said...

It looks wonderful love it!
So glad you all enjoyed!
Collette xxx

Kay Martin said...

Thanks for sharing and it helps me dare to submit some writing. I must truly hate the rejection. I have file drawers full of unsubmitted articles and proposals. They can't reject you if they never see 'em!

Hang in there...God will open the right doors at the right moment. I say you are a powerful writer and I'm picky!!!

I love you so.

Truth4thejourney said...

Hi Kelly,

Great post, I'm reminiscing with you about the wonderful relationships that were both solidified and freshly started.

I had a blast!

Love you!
Sonya Lee

Sue J. said...

Glad you made it back safely. Can hear that it was a "mixed" trip, but time will settle everything out and God will make it clear how you are to look at everything.

I'm so glad the fellowship was wonderful, though, because that's what's going to help you on the journey beyond the leads and the meetings and such. So...here's to good friends!

Beth in NC said...

Oh girl, I can't imagine putting my heart out there for someone to jump on, but it is great that you keep finding different people (with different perspectives). I pray God will lead you to the right connection.

I'm glad you were able to bond with some blogging buddies and writing friends. Welcome home.

B His Girl said...

It sounds like a wonderful trip. I prayed for you sisters! I know this is important to you both. I hope idea #1 becomes MORE than you hoped and God will continue to give you avenues to share the words He gives you. I read Jesus Calling also. Love it! B

Melanie said...

You're brave for putting your ideas and self out there...hope something great comes of it.
Cute tops!
Melanie@Bella~Mella

Julie Gillies said...

Wow, Kelly, what a weekend you've had! It IS so hard to meet with publishers/editors/agents and lay it all out there, hoping they love our idea! Having just returned from She Speaks, I can totally relate.

Kelli visited Florida back in March and I had her over for lunch one afternoon. She's a sweetheart!

Looks like all in all you had a good time with all your friends...the absolute best part of any conference!

KelliGirl said...

Hi Kelly,
You and Sonya are so good to get your posts up already from the conference! It was so much fun meeting you in person. I agree Friday night was one of my best memories of the conference. And weren't we the rebels closing down the cafeteria?!

It was great meeting you and seeing that my e-friends really exist in flesh and blood!

Andrea said...

What an awesome weekend! GOD BLESS, andrea

Tammy said...

It sounded like you had a great time with friends. What a big step to put your dream out there, I hope your passion become a reality.

Philly,PA is my neighbor. I live right next door,New York...sort of:)

Runner Mom said...

So glad that you had a great time!! And glad that you got to meet my friend Kelli!! (No, you're not short!)

Just put it in GOd's hands with the book proposals. Those of us in bloggyland know that you're a good writer! The right publishers will read it in God's timing!

Love ya!
Susan
** Love the goodies that Sharon left for you! She is so sweet!

Leslie said...

Hey, I hadn't heard about your last meeting! Yay! That's encouraging! I'm sorry I missed saying good-bye to you. It was a whirlwind, wasn't it? I'm so glad I got to meet y'all even though I didn't get much time to spend with you and Laurie.

Please keep me updated with what happens in regard to your last meeting. Even if they don't do the book, at least it's a bite and you know that your idea is appealing!

Love and Hugs, Leslie

Jess said...

oh how FUN! but, kelly, i want A LOT more details on the conference!!! i want to live vicariously through you, please!

love,
jess

Blasé said...

I'm thankful you made it back safely and was encouraged.

Glad you women made like the Flintstones and had a Gay-O'l-Time

Welcome back to the real world

Heart2Heart said...

I love that you had the opportunity to meet with editors and begin to discuss book options with all of them. It is true what they say is that there is something out there for everyone and obviously you didn't appeal with the first one but the others at least expressed interest.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Jane In The Jungle said...

Now that is a great post cause you're exactly right. That really is what it's all about! Glad you had a safe journey!

My ADHD Me said...

Welcome Home!! Sounds to me like you had a very fun, exciting, and educational weekend!

Also, think of all the thousands of ideas those editors get from thousands of people. And yet, most of them seemed pretty interested in your idea. Very Impressive!

Laurie said...

Hey sister! Great updates and pics! I will post my update today. And I would love to go to another conference w/you all (assuming I stay on the east coast:) Love, Laurie

Bonita said...

Welcome to the world of publishing! Sounds like you got the royal initiation! Take what you can learn and let the rest go.

Sounds like you had a great time with friends and happy you had a little respite.

Edie said...

Your trip sounds so fun! I would have loved to close the cafeteria with you!

I admire your courage Kelly. I would have a hard time with the possibility of rejection. But I know that if God is in it, He will bring it about in His time.

Love you my friend!!

LisaShaw said...

So glad all of you had such a wonderful time together. I'm excited for all that God is doing in your life. He likes your ideas because He gave them to you directly and He will/is opening doors for you unto His glory. Praise the LORD!

Love and hugs.

Susan Panzica - EternityCafe said...

Hey, Kelly,
Great post! You're so good, getting it posted so fast! It was great to meet you this weekend. Thanks to Kay for her faithfulness and helping us meet! And thanks to you, Sonya and Laurie for letting me be part of your posse! So much fun to close down the cafeteria - lots of chatting!
I have now spent way too much time in the blogosphere and need to get writing!
Keep in touch!
Susan

Lea said...

I loved your pictures Kelly and I'm so happy you were able to go. Sounds like yall had a lot of fun and made great new connections. I'm believing WITH you ya know!!! Keep on, keepin on.... and thanks for your encouragement as well!!!
Holykisses,
Lea

Billy Coffey said...

Sooner or later I'm going to have to go to one of those, but honestly the idea of sitting there in front of an editor and having him or her laugh me out of the room is a little disturbing...

Best of luck, Kelly!

Irritable Mother said...

Sounds great, Kelly!
But this part? "It's hard to show someone your work, your PASSION, your 'baby,' and have them not love it."
Yeah.
So glad you kept going! And I know God will bring your book about in His perfect time, according to His perfect will.

Much love,
Karen

Miss Sandy said...

I popped over from Bonita's to read about your experience meeting with the publishers. Wow, what a confusing mix of comments. I pray your book will find its way into the right hands to be published.

I adore the devotion book you were given as a gift. What a sweet friend to make you feel so welcome. It looks like your overall experience was wonderful and valuable.

Have a great day!

Totally Desperate Mom said...

Sounds like the acting world. If you are looking for a lot of rejection, be a writer or an actor! Sounds like you got some positive feedback though and made some new friends!