Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Get a Piece of the Rock

"Get a piece of the rock" is the slogan of Prudential Life Insurance. But it's also a great slogan for Christians!

As Christians we are called to be living stones in 1 Peter 2. Of course, we living stones need a Cornerstone. The cornerstone is the essential stone...the cornerstone is of course Jesus. Together with our Cornerstone, we living stones build a spiritual house that is the church. We are blessed by the Cornerstone.

But Peter also warns that to non-believers the Cornerstone will become a capstone, that is the finishing stone. Peter quotes scripture saying "A stone that causes men to stumble and a rock that makes them fall." Jesus is the Rock that will make unbelievers fall.

Peter knows about Rocks. Peters original name was Simon, but Jesus renamed him Peter, which means rock, because Peter was the rock that the church would be built upon. Yet Peter knew that even though he was a rock, a living stone, that Jesus was the Cornerstone.

"The church's one foundation is Jesus Christ our Lord," is how the old hymn goes. Peter says come to the Living Stone. As for me, I'll remind you to Get a Piece of the Rock!

Matthew 16:17,18 -- Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it

1 Peter 2:4-8 -- As you come to him, the living Stone—rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to him— you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. For in Scripture it says:
"See, I lay a stone in Zion,
a chosen and precious cornerstone,
and the one who trusts in him
will never be put to shame."
Now to you who believe, this stone is precious.
But to those who do not believe,
"The stone the builders rejected
has become the capstone," and,
"A stone that causes men to stumble
and a rock that makes them fall."
They stumble because they disobey the message—
which is also what they were destined for.



Chatty Kelly

If you liked this post, check out my post called Rockin' that lists possible Christian bumper stickers!

13 comments:

Sharon@JoyInTheTruth said...

OH yes,sister...the wise man builds his house upon a ROCK!

Runner Mom said...

I loved this!!
Hugs!
Susan

2Thinks said...

Jesus is the Rock of my salvation and His banner over me is LOVE!

You know the song, thanks for the story.

Heidi

Beth in NC said...

Ha, I never thought about using that old ad as a slogan for us Christians. :o)

Amen, the Rock!

Laurie said...

Love the catchy slogan and Bible teaching. When I think about Christ- the Rock- I think of an enormous boulder. Isn't it amazing how I didn't notice Him for years and years?
Have a great day sister, Laurie

Luv4PolarBears said...

Hey chatty kelly just wanted to let you know i had a blogspot now.

-- TNT

Collette@Jesuslovesmums said...

Love it Kelly! He is truly a rock we can cling to!
Collette xxx

Heart2Heart said...

I am so glad that our family, home and marriage is built upon THE ROCK!

It will outlast all the others built on anything less.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Carmen said...

I love that fact that you pointed out that even though Simon was renamed Peter (the rock), that Jesus is the cornerstone on which that rock (and all living stones) rests. It seems like a small detail, but it's an important one. The church's one foundation is indeed Jesus Christ Our Lord!

I thought this was a really good post! =D

Edie said...

On Christ the Solid Rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand!

My ADHD Me said...

See, you didn't realize I was being deep when I would say, "I am a rock. I am an island."

Anonymous said...

-"Get a piece of the rock" is the slogan -of Prudential Life Insurance. But it's -also a great slogan for Christians!

Your association of an insurance company's slogan (a mechanism of globalisation and materialism) is a perversion of the teachings of the man Jesus Christ. Shame on you.

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
You may , perhaps very interested to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no initial capital needed You may start to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
AimTrust incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with affiliates around the world.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your choice That`s what you wish in the long run!

I feel good, I started to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to select a correct partner who uses your funds in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://ubisuryqev.fcpages.com/obokev.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to get rid of nastiness of the life