Monday, July 27, 2009

Reasons to Skip Church

Do you ever think up reasons to skip church? Maybe you didn't sleep well last night. Perhaps you have to work on Sunday and it's too much trouble to make time for church. It's a hassle to get everyone ready and out the door. There are lots of reasons to skip church.

Sunday at church I looked over in the row across from mine as four Emergency Medical Technicians came in and sat down. I thought about those four men sitting there. I didn't know if they'd have many calls the night before, but since it was a Saturday night, chances were good that they'd been up a lot of the night.

They were obviously still on-call. It would have been easier to stay at the station and sleep-in, or at least relax. But they were up and out to worship the Lord. A hassle to get everyone out the door? They had to be in full gear, with the truck ready to go, in case they got a call during the service. They had much more to be ready for than any of us do on a given Sunday, yet they were there.

Those four men sat there as an example to all of us. They could have skipped church without any rebuke. Yet, they chose to make the effort to be there. Shouldn't we do the same?

Hebrews 10:25 -- Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

Psalm 150:1 -- Praise the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary; praise him in his mighty heavens.

Exodus 20:8 -- Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.


Chatty Kelly

14 comments:

Collette@Jesuslovesmums said...

excellent post Kelly! I certainly have made excuses, pathetic as it is.

A great reminder.
Love Collette xxx

Amy De Trempe said...

As much as I hate to admit it, I've been guilty of making excuses.

Bonita said...

Wouldn't you know it, the one Sunday I stay home and you post this!! Actually, I am not a church skipper and was surprised when I felt the Lord nudging me to stay home with Him and a short time later my husband suggested the same. I ended up having a wonderful time alone with the Lord on my deck. This is the exception, a rare exception indeed, not the rule. However, I find it hilarious that today I'm reminded to get my butt back there next week! Thanks!

Sharon@JoyInTheTruth said...

Oh I got tears in my eyes thinking of those EMTs sitting in your church. How beautiful. Don't you just want to hug them!?! Thankful for making their dedication an example for us!

You were on my heart BIG the last few days so I just lifted you up to Him!

Andrea said...

Great post!
Hope you are having an awesome week!
Andrea

Greg C said...

Great post Kelly. We could all use a lesson like this.

A few years ago my son gave me a book of redneck sayings and one of the things in it was about fishing. It asked this question; Is it better to be in church thinking about fishing or be out fishing knowing you should be in church? Good question.

Put me down in the guilty catigory.

christy rose said...

I never miss church unless we are gone and out of town! It is just part of my weekly routine. I never want to kick the church going habit of mine! :)

T. Anne said...

Wow that's awesome! I would wonder if there was something wrong with the paster lol!

Blasé said...

Actually, those 4 men and me were playing cards last night, and we all went to bed at 9pm. I'm really upset with them because they 'showed me up' by being at church when we all agreed that none of us were going.

One day I'm going to surprise you and sneak up on y'all at the church house. Be ready to harmonize with my singing.

I like it when you get to Preachin' on your Blog.

LisaShaw said...

Thanks for sharing this with us Kelly.

Edie said...

I'm not one to make up excuses not to go to church. Oh sometimes when I wake up and I'm tired the thought crosses my mind but then I think about worshiping God and can't stay in bed. On the rare occasions that I don't go to church, I'm either sick or God has prevented my going for another purpose that is revealed sometime during the day.

I was thinking about this yesterday as I looked around at church and there were so many empty pews.

My ADHD Me said...

We were expecting a BIG storm Sunday evening......yeah, that's it.

And we got it too. Well, it didn't really hit until 1 or 2:00 that night (Monday morning) .....

......bad excuse #467

HisPrincess said...

Ouch! Guilty as charged.

Irritable Mother said...

When I was a little girl I remember standing in church complaining to someone (brother or sister, maybe?) about "having" to come to church.
An older man standing near me told me that one day I would WANT to go to church. Thought he was nosy and crazy at the time, but now I wonder if he was a messanger from God.
I love going to church. Looking for excuses to NOT go is not my struggle. Good thing, too, cuz I have plenty of other areas of struggle! *sigh*