Monday, March 23, 2009

Ladybug Lessons

My 5 year old, Cici, received a ladybug habitat for her birthday earlier this month, complete with ladybug larva. I was excited to watch the changes occur, while at the same time thinking "great, something else to try and keep alive!"

The larva soon changed to pupa, and then hung upside down from the habitat waiting to molt from their shells into ladybugs. Soon 2 ladybugs emerged, busily crawling all over the habitat. The third ladybug seemed to break from her pupa shell, but was stuck. After two days, I assumed she was dead and went to remove her from the habitat. She wiggled.

I removed the pupa shell/ladybug and began trying to free the ladybug from her old shell. It was hard work, but I did the best I could. I gave her some water, and she drank it. I put her back into the habitat. She flipped over, feet up, and laid there. She still had too much of her old self stuck to her to stand up. The next day, I again removed her from the habitat and peeled away more old shell, and gave her more water. This time she was able to stand upright. She now eats & drinks and crawls around the habitat, although not as quickly as the others. She was saved.

Do you have any friends who are stuck in their old self? It's hard to confront friends who we see stuck in sin. But if we leave them there in sin, as if I'd left the ladybug in her old shell, they could die. It's up to us to try to remove them from the old self and give them living water...Jesus.

In Luke 20, some men brought their paralytic friend to Jesus to be healed. Unable to make their way through the crowd, they climbed up on the roof, and lowered the man down to Jesus. "When Jesus saw their faith, he said, "Friend, your sins are forgiven." (Luke 5:20). Seeing THE FRIENDS faith, he forgave the paralytic man of his sins.


Do you have a friend who needs help. Intercede on their behalf today.


One final thought. Even though I helped the ladybug all I could, she still could have died. (she didn't). Sometimes our friends refuse to leave their old self. They are truly in bondage. Sometime we have to turn it completely over to God and just pray for them. Do what you can. You can lead them to Christ. But you can't make them accept him.
You can lead your friends to living water...but you can't make them drink.

Luke 5:18-20 -- Some men came carrying a paralytic on a mat and tried to take him into the house to lay him before Jesus. When they could not find a way to do this because of the crowd, they went up on the roof and lowered him on his mat through the tiles into the middle of the crowd, right in front of Jesus. When Jesus saw their faith, he said, "Friend, your sins are forgiven."
John 4: 10, 13-14 -- Jesus answered her, "If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water." (the woman, confused, asks Jesus about drawing water from the well, he replies) "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."


Chatty Kelly

19 comments:

Thankful Paul said...

Hello! :)

Joy in The Truth said...

Thoughtful analogy!

We enjoy doing the butterfly habitats...from larvae (I don't even like that word!)...to beautiful butterfly! Really amazing. We got very sentimental when it was time to release them, but it was so exciting!

Happy Monday, CK!

Runner Mom said...

This was so good, Kelly! How often do we get stcuk on ourselves that we miss out on God opportunities! Thank you! Enjoy this day!!!
Hugs,
susan

My ADHD Me said...

I enjoyed this, but especially the very last part. As you know, I am struggling from a friend who has let me (and others down). Sometimes it is very difficult to walk away, but for our own sake AND our families we must.

My ADHD Me said...

P.S. I forgot to add--CHECK YOU OUT!! The ANTI-Bug Queen saves a Ladybug. You Rock!

My ADHD Me said...

Hi. me again. I just had to tell you. After your post spoke to me today, I went to Pink Shoe Lady and was told something similar.

I'm hearing God loud and clear this morning!

Greg C said...

Great post Kelly. I am actually working on someone right now and although they haven't budged they haven't slid back either. I am at the praying stage now.

Mrs. Sidney said...

Wow, what a wonderful post!! I needed this today.. thank you.

Beverlydru said...

Thankful Paul moves around but he never says anything but Hello. Hmmm. I love the story of lady bugs.

Jeff and Valerie Carr said...

That's a really great illustration!!

It may end up in a sermon in Spain, if that's ok?

Lois Lane II said...

What a great comparison, Kelly!

Mary Moss said...

What a wonderful analogy! The imagery is so powerful.

Dorothy Champagne said...

While this analogy was EXCELLENT and I loved it - something else stood out to me. You said at the beginning of your post how this "gift" was just something else you'd have to keep alive. But because you had a good attitude about it and got involved in taking care of it - God blessed you (and us) with a wonderful example of our life with Him - 'the old shall be stripped away. .. '

Kay Martin said...

I'll never look at a ladybug the same after reading your story.

Yes, hurting and praying with friends and family you love is vulnerability.

Recently I was praying with a friend who has had horrific issues of illness, financial crisis, husband disabled, etc. After five years of walking with her through this she hit a new low. God has worked with them miraculously like I've never seen before over and over. But this day she casually alluded to suicide. I was undone.

For hours I was hurt, angry, disgusted, undone, defeated, and puzzled. Finally, I had to let go as you so well wrote.

Next day she was fine and I was still hurting. I did get to her to ask her to go with me through all of the miracles God had wrought for them and she admitted she had not been in the Bible for weeks and rarely prayed. I told her to forgive me for trying to "fix her."

They are doing great now. I'm better also. Your ladybug story will be a way for me to keep myself in my place and lift God to His place!!!

Julie Gillies said...

What a sweet story, Kelly. You're so patient and loving! Good post!

We had a ladybug habitat several years ago, too. Only our ladybugs arrived as adults. It was great fun doing all the experiments with them (like allowing them to 'walk' through green food coloring and then studying their tracks...LOL)

Thanks for your sweet, sweet comment over at my blog. You're such a blessing, Kelly.

Pinkshoelady said...

This is so true. I needed to be reminded of this today.
I sometimes take on too much responsibility for the ones I love. Leave the outcome to God.
Thank you my friend
Pamela

Susanne said...

I love this analogy! I'll remember it every time I see one of those little ladybugs in my yard this spring. That is once this snow disappears! :v)

Irritable Mother said...

Yes, God can even use bugs to teach us spiritual truths! He doesn't waste a thing, does He!?
Thanks for sharing this story, Kelly. May we all have eyes to see that friend who needs our help.

Marla said...

Grat analogy again. You are just so good. I have never seen a ladybug hatch before. Glad you rescued the ladybug.