Friday, March 27, 2009

God Colored Glasses

Have you ever heard the phrase that someone sees life through "rose colored glasses?" That means they see things more pleasant than they really are. It certainly takes a special type of personality to always look on the bright side, especially where other people are concerned.

Sometimes, its easier to do the opposite. With people, its easy to find fault and see where other people are messing up, often ignoring our own faults. The Bible refers to this as seeing a speck in someone else's eye, while missing the plank in your own.

We need to be aware that we don't rip apart someone else to make ourselves feel better. At the same time, rose colored glasses can also lead to pain, if we continue to think repeated negative behaviors in someone else might change when clearly they won't. Or as Albert Einstein put it "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

What I'd like to have is God-colored glasses. These glasses would allow me to see myself and others as God does. So I'd see the sin, but with a forgiving and loving heart. I see the faults, while extending grace and mercy. I'd see myself without the negative baggage of a broken childhood. I could extend that same grace and mercy for others.

I long for God-colored glasses, so I can see. See like Jesus.

Give Me Your Eyes, by Brandon Heath



Matthew 7:3-5 -- Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.

1 Samuel 16:7 -- Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.

Hebrews 12:2 -- Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.


Chatty Kelly

18 comments:

Joy in The Truth said...

This reminds of the song from the late seventies..."My Father's Eyes". Having God's eyes...wow...what lenses of Light and Love!

Grace upon grace.

Happy Friday, Kelly!

Patrice said...

What a thought, if only we could pick those up at the store, how life would be different!

It is easy to see others faults while overlooking our own, and today I am going to keep your words close and put on some God coloered glasses and see what happens, see how I look at people, because it is easy to judge, but looking inwardly. I may not be able to take my eyes of myself and my "baggage", something I tend to overlook.....

Thanks!

Kay Martin said...

Yes, when I see as Heaven "sees" life makes sense and there are no traps that I miss. Everyone is given honor by me giving them value as a unique person. Oh, may I get a fitting for those glasses now!

Mel said...

That is an awesome post1!!!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

This is my favorite inspirational song right now. It is my prayer.

Melanie said...

I want those glasses, too.
Melanie@Bella~Mella

On Purpose said...

I love this song...it sounds the best when played loud in our car and the boys are singing their hearts out right long with their momma! Singing is so not my gift...so I praise God...He gave it to Brandon Heath!

Jenny said...

Awesome post. How great life would be if we could see thru his eyes...

LisaShaw said...

Hey Kelly this is wonderful! Kind of inline with the message I did on "a different step-same destiny".

I appreciate your heart to share with all of us and it's always something I can FEED on!!

Bless you sweetie.

Jenny said...

Thanks for the encouragement:) I am so sick right now I don't think I will be doing my exercising til Monday.

Julie Gillies said...

That's my prayer, Kelly. To really SEE with God's persspective. To really SEE people through HIS eyes.

Irritable Mother said...

Yes. I want to see with His eyes!

Beverlydru said...

I wonder what color God-colored glasses are. The color of love...what color is that? I was born with rose-colored glasses. I daily have to put on my new glasses... the God-colored one. Love that perpective.

Edie said...

I'm praying for the God colored glasses too.

I love this song!

Love you too my friend. :)

KelliGirl said...

Yes, I need God-colored glasses! Oh how my own are so tainted.

Blessings,
Kelli

Dorothy Champagne said...

This was great. Too often we are judgmental and self-righteous and unable to help others because of our own view. Only when we have "God's View" will we be effective for Him!

My ADHD Me said...

I've read that definition of insanity before. So true.

I believe rose-colored glasses was the statement that was made to our grandmother and aunt about 17 years ago.

God's girl said...

Beautiful song... and great truths today!