Monday, July 14, 2008

Ch-Ch-Changes

I'm changing churches. This isn't a new change...I've been visiting the new church since April. But I'm not happy about it really. I loved my old church, but the denominational changes occurring were getting too liberal for my family. Add some internal changes as well and all those little changes added up to a big change for my family -a new church.

I don't think I'm alone in the fact that I don't like change. Change is uncomfortable. But in this case I feel as if I'm following God's call to change churches, and like it or not, I'm being obedient. What change is God calling you to make in your life?

Maybe your experiencing a job change? Maybe your child is going away to school for the first time? Maybe your traveling across country to speak and don't like leaving your kiddies behind? Maybe its your decision to make the change, or maybe you don't have any choice at all. How do you feel about the changes in your life?

The pastor at my old church once shared the cycle of growth through change and it goes something like this:

Healthy things grow.
Growing things change.
Change challenges us with all kinds of pain.
The pain of challenge invites us to turn to God and trust God.
Turning to and trusting God results in obedience.
Obedience to your Heavenly Father makes you healthy.
And, HEALTHY THINGS GROW…

You get the point. These changes do produce growing pains. But here’s praying that the changes that you and I are experiencing will produce the healthy results of trusting God. And here’s praying that God will meet our changing needs as we continue to grow in Christ.

***Update - I don't mean to imply I don't enjoy the new church - I do. I just think change is so hard.***

2 Corinthians 4:16,17 -- So we’re not giving up. How could we! Even though on the outside it often looks like things are falling apart on us, on the inside; where God is making new life, not a day goes by without his unfolding grace. These hard times are small potatoes compared to the coming good times, the lavish celebration prepared for us.” (The Message Bible)

Luke 5:31 -- Jesus heard about it and spoke up, "Who needs a doctor: the healthy or the sick? I'm here inviting outsiders, not insiders—an invitation to a changed life, changed inside and out."

Romans 12:1 -- So here's what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life—your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life—and place it before God as an offering. Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him. Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you.

15 comments:

The Patterson 5 said...

I don't like ch-ch-changes either! Now I am going to be singing this song in my head ALL day! May you grow healthy and strong in all the changes God is bringing about in your life!

My ADHD Me said...

My prediction---in a few months you'll be running some committee, teaching some class, having new friends and loving your new church.

If not, then that's ok too. You'll once again seek out another new church until you find the one that's right for you.

Ch-Ch-Changes can be exciting...........especially for a "Cool Chick" like you!

Sue J said...

I'm having a hard time posting here because I still haven't left the "old church" yet--ha ha! And, I can be a stumbling block in your making this change, not that I want to be.

I know it's been a weird time, and, truly, this is done out of submission, which is difficult in and of itself.

God will guide you through the murkiness as He has guided others through the reeds, the seas and other sticky-wicket places.

The important thing is to never lose sight of Him. You can stay anywhere for hours, days or years, but without God, you will be hard-pressed to find the joy.

Truth4thejourney said...

I'm glad you're following God's lead, Kelly. That's the important thing.

The really funny thing is that I'd like to chnage churches, but my hubby doesn't feel God calling us to do that, yet. So, I'm there and trusting God's timing.

Deuteronomy 10:12 And now, Israel, what does Jehovah your God ask of you, but to fear Jehovah your God, to walk in all His ways, and to love Him, and to serve Jehovah your God with all your heart and with all your soul,

Alyce said...

Hi Kelly,
I hope you have many blessings with the changes you are about to make. I probably need to really find a part time job, but I fear change!! We'll see what God does!

HisPrincess said...

Good luck with changing churches Kelly. It's almost like changing families isn't it.

I couldn't imagine going to church anywhere but where I do, but if I had to I guess I would.

Change is hard. I'm really starting to panic about next year which is silly. God is in control. Repeat five times.

Zoe said...

Kelly,
Thanks for your continued prayers as we grieve my daddy.
I enjoyed your post so much this morning. Speaking of ch-ch-changes... that's a good way to describe my skin care routine.

I ch-ch-change back and forth between 2-3 different product lines every few weeks. I've experienced a quicker turn around in my skin.
One product I would never ch-ch-change is RETIN A. I've been using it 3 nights a weeks for 3 years and I really belive it has helped keep my skin looking good.

As far as the Free BOTOX or free anything else... Dr. "Make Me Beautiful" does allow us one injection of BOTOX a year but that's the end of our "freebies".

I can't wait to see what new growth your ch-ch-changes will bring.
Zoe

Marina said...

Kelly I so understand you I fell like I need to fine a knew church too but change is not easy and its not easy finding a new church as well. Parise God that you have,marina

Suzanne Eller said...

Richard and I are in total transition right now - sold house, moved to new city, started back to school (him, not me), and I LOVE it! Change seemed hard, until I realized that I was right where I needed to be. : )

Love your post.

Bonita said...

Kelly, I completely understand where you're at. We switched churches last year after twenty years at our previous church. It was difficult at first especially for my daughter who absolutely didn't want to leave the church she had been born into. But it has been so worth it. We have grown so much in the last 16 months. I feel like I'm still getting used to the new church, but the rest of the family has settled in. And remember how my daughter didn't want to go? She absolutely loves it now and has a whole slew of new friends and just thinks it's the best place in the whole wide world.

As for the other changes in my life, well, you're well acquainted with those. God never said it would be easy, He just promised to be with us and I cling to that daily.

Renee Swope said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Renee Swope said...

Kelly,

Thank you so much for your oh so honest comment on my blog - I just read it and laughed. I thought I was the ONLY one who felt unworthy to shop at certain high end stores. We have a mall in south Charlotte for the rich and famous. I went there one time in my sweat suit (it was a cute one) but I didn't have time to do my hair and make-up. I could barely get anyone to help me find what I wanted in the store. They were so snobby! It made me feel "less than" but I never told anyone until you! Now I just shop at Target!

Smiles and blessings,
Renee

PS. I do hope you love your new church eventually. We were part of a new church plant a year and a half ago and it was a hard change for me. Slowly but surely I am finding a place to belong. I know you will too!

Shari said...

Oh it's such a difficult thing isn't it....the hardest part for me is going to be to tell the pastors at my old church that we're being called to a new church...and I still love my old church but for some strange reason God won't let us stay there! So off we go, one foot at a time, walking to our new church (well actually driving!) and it feels so right...but I'm still having lunch with my women's leadership team at my old church tomorrow...now that's a bit strange! God is good...all the time...even in the changing of it all!

Rebecca Ingram Powell said...

CK,

When we changed churches five years ago, it took some time for me to adjust. And even when I thought I had adjusted, there would be Sundays when I longed for "home."

I loved your take on this, and I loved all these wonderful comments! It always helps to know that you're not the only one!

Susan said...

George Burns once said, "No one likes change except a wet baby!" I like that. No matter how positive the change is, it can be very hard.

Thanks for this great post.