Friday, July 11, 2008

Guilty by Association

Think about the kid in your 2nd grade class that ate the paste. You know the one I mean. Now imagine all these years later that someone suggests you name your child (or dog) after this person. Ewwww! Not that name. I could NEVER pick that name. That's the kid who ate the paste!

I got my toe nails painted coral at the salon the other day. Women's Day magazine said coral was "THE" hot color for summer. When I got home, my daughter said "That looks like the color Nanny always gets." It did. Suddenly I didn't feel stylish, but grandmotherly.

In both these examples, the item itself is fine, but by association becomes "guilty."

Did you know that as Christians, we are the only bible some people will ever see? So what are you saying about Jesus, by association? I know I have a tendency to come on strong. I am hot or cold, black or white, should always or should never. I have recently come across a verse that convicted me.

1 Peter 3:15 says "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." Oh, I've given alot of answers for my reasons for believing in Christ. But I haven't done it with gentleness and respect. I've come on strongly, and I may have turned some people off.

And Jesus was found guilty, by association.

The irony is, that just as Jesus is found guilty by his association with me; I have been found not guilty by my association with him. "For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him." (John 3:17) Jesus died on the cross, found guilty of my sins, so that I can stand here now and say NOT GUILTY...by association. And so can you.

1 Corinthians 15:51 - - It was sin that made death so frightening and law-code guilt that gave sin its leverage, its destructive power. But now in a single victorious stroke of Life, all three—sin, guilt, death—are gone, the gift of our Master, Jesus Christ. Thank God! (The Message)

James 2:10 -- For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.

John 3:16 - - For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

7 comments:

My ADHD Me said...

That verse James 2:10---that one is an eye opener!

I did the same thing with the Obsession perfume and it was the same Nanny that wore it. I loved it but then when I put it on I felt like it was grandmotherly. How silly that is!
We aren't grandmotherly---she's just hip!!

Julie Gillies said...

Hi Kelly,

Coral nail polish aside, I'm so glad we are NOT GUILTY. All because of the precious blood of Jesus.

I agree that you're not grandmotherly, but trendy and way cool.

So there! LOL

Truth4thejourney said...

Thanks for the reminder, that we are not guilty by association.

What sounds better for you, Grandma Kelly, or Granny Kelly? Just kidding! Being a grandmother even at an early age is an honor. You, my friend, are YEARS away from being a grandmother, and YEARS away from looking or acting like one.

Keep the toenail polish. I agree with my adhd me, your daughters Nanny sounds Hip!

Linda said...

Nanny polish or not, you are gorgeous. And no, I didn't miss the point of the post, again!

Rebecca Ingram Powell said...

Beautiful!

My ADHD Me said...

I Just LOVE the comment you made on Sue J's blog......"You don't have a refridgerator to prevent spoilage"!

I got it! Now that's funny!!

HisPrincess said...

The silence is deafening. I am guilty of the opposite of you Kelly. I am guilty of silence. I pray that the Lord will help me with this and help me find the right words to say at the right time. I find it especially difficult to witness to my husband and children, the very people who I dearly love, and desperately want to see them come to the Lord.