Wednesday, July 16, 2008

ROCKin'

1. rock - noun, a stone of any size.
2. rock - noun, a firm foundation or support.
3. rock - verb, to dance to or play music.
4. rock - verb, To disturb the mental or emotional equilibrium of; upset.

"Don't want no rock to take my place" was the lyric we sang at church on Sunday. It was referring to the story in the bible where the Pharisees are rebuking Jesus to quiet the crowd who are singing his praises. Jesus replies "If they keep quiet, the stones will cry out." (Luke 19:40).

Can you imagine a God so powerful that if people ceased praising him, that the rocks themselves would cry out? I'm in awe. And a little ashamed that maybe I'm not doing my part. Am I letting a rock take my place? Are you?

Which got me thinking about the firm foundation (#2) we have in Jesus, our Rock. Are you singing praise to him, rocking (#3) even when your world is rocked (#4). Surely, you don't want a rock (#1) to take your place? So, I propose the following bumper stickers, (and their translations in case you haven't had your morning coffee yet):

Don't let a rock rock your Rock. (Don't let a stone praise your God).
When you're rocked, rock the Rock! (When you're disturbed, praise God).
I rock, You rock, rocks rock the Rock! (I praise, You praise, stones praise God).
If the Rock I'm rockin', don't bother knockin'! (If I'm busy praising God, please don't interrupt).

So next time you're between a rock and a hard place, remember to rock the Rock. As a matter of fact I might rock the Rock around the clock.

I don't know about you, but I thought my blog rocked today. SMILE!

Psalm 66:4 -- All the earth bows down to you; they sing praise to you, they sing praise to your name." Selah

Psalm 148:7 - 13 - - Praise the Lord from the earth, you great sea creatures and all ocean depths, lightening and hail, snow and clouds...Let them praise the name of the Lord.

Revelation 5:13 -- Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, singing: "To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power, for ever and ever!"

11 comments:

Truth4thejourney said...

Kelly,
This post ROCKS! :)

It is a sobering thought that God wants our praise so much that He'll even make the rocks cry out if we don't! I'm thinking praise is IMPORTANT!

Why 2nd Cup of Coffee? said...

I think you missed the one rock I love most next to The Rock (and I'm not talking about the actor!) --that is, rocking in rocking chairs! Got a bumper sticker for that one?

The Patterson 5 said...

KC you rock! (you praise God!)

Rebecca Ingram Powell said...

Rock on!

Bonita said...

You rock, girl!

Loved this post because God has been speaking to me about stones and rocks lately.

And for the other commentor, I spend a lot of time in my rocking chair rocking out (praising) Jesus. How does that translate to a bumper sticker, rocker Kelly?

Sue J said...

Guess this ties in with your wanting to be a pop star, you rocker, you!

Picking up on Why 2nd cup of coffee's lead, let's not forget about rocking our babies! And our Father still cradles us in His arms when we need to be approached in that quiet gentle way (and sway!). Even as He wants us to ROCK THIS TOWN with our praise.

I also noticed, since your brought in the dictionary, that rock is a mining term--washing sand or gravel in a rocker. As Christians, we need to rock our world by putting what the world teaches us into a rocker and sifting out the truth.

"You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them (false prophets and teaching) because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world." I John 4:4

Praise to the Rock of our salvation! (And thanks for sharing your hidden musical talent...er...rockability?!)

Becoming Me said...

I loved this post, so much truth mixed with a beautiful joy from knowing the lord. Thank you!!

Chatty Kelly said...

Rock the Rock, when you're rocking the rocker!

(Praise God, when your in your rocking chair).

How's that?

Susan said...

Loved this post. I'm visiting from Linda's (2nd Cup of coffee) today. I enjoyed reading some of your posts...this one, I needed to hear!! It ROCKS!!

:-) Susan

My ADHD Me said...

This rocks!
I don't think I can come up with another one. (not that I didn't try)

graceunbound said...

I love it! Now I want a bumper sticker. Seriously though, great way to make an awesome point.