Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Pretty Pretty Princess

My daughters have a game called Pretty Pretty Princess. The purpose of the game is to move around the board, collecting all your jewelry pieces. The first one to collect her pieces, then collects the crown to win the game.

I love the concept. You see (cue the music!) "I enjoy being a GIRL!" I love jewelry, make up, clothes, shoes, handbags...you get the idea. But I don't want this to become an idol in my life. The bible says "Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised." (Proverbs 31:30). I want to be the woman who fears the Lord. And He is working on me.

Prior to my 40th birthday party in March, I had a "Beauty Day" planned, complete with manicure, pedicure, eyebrow wax, tanning, the works. My youngest came down with influenza so I had to cancel my beauty day. She was well in time for my party, and I did just fine without all primping. I jokingly said "God is trying to teach me the beauty is fleeting, and hey now that I'm 40, I know it!"

Prior to my gala on Friday night, I had another "Beauty Day" planned, like above. My sister (who is also my sitter) had to cancel on me this time. (You can read her comical version of this here). As she was apologizing to me, I said "It's okay! God is just trying to show me that real beauty comes from the outside." She burst out laughing. "I think you mean on the INSIDE." Whoops. Talk about a Freudian slip. We both had a laugh about that one.

That same day, I received the Proverbs 31 daily devotional. It was by Zoe Elmore, and was about how we women often spend more time on our make up each day, than with God. Since I read Zoe's blog, I had already read the posting here, so I somewhat dismissed it. But then my sister forwarded it to me (knowing I already receive it) saying "Talk about timing...." Since this was the THIRD time I'd gotten it, I realized perhaps God really is talking to me! I was just so busy getting pretty I missed it. DUH!

So now, I have a little song to help me, in Zoe's words, "get on our face before we put on our face." The song goes like this (cue the music again!) "From the moment I wake up, before I put on my make up, I'll say a little prayer for you...."

10 comments:

Sue J said...

The song goes like this: "Love...you...inside and out. Backwards and forwards with my heart hanging out." HA!

It's our favorite topic. It's the one that's going to put you and I on the debating floor. (HA!) Let's go a few more years on this journey studying the whole thing and then we'll be ready to write a book. Inside and Out by the Princess and the Pea....

By the Princess and the brown UPS lady--LOL! Enough.....

My ADHD Me said...

See, no beauty appointment and you're still the princess. I'm the one that could use the beauty appointment. After all, shorts or skirts with hiking boots!!
Real beauty comes from the inside but it's ok to feel it on the outside too. It's not like we obsess about it...
Well, if the weather holds we'll be swimming today. Bathing suits and hiking boots??....

My ADHD Me said...

P.S. HHmmm...bathing suits and hiking boots...bet I could make a blog on that.

The Patterson 5 said...

You are beautiful inside and out! Most importantly inside. It think beauty and women just go together-we just have to keep it in perspective. I think God loves incredibly beautiful things too. Just look at all the flowers, sunsets, mountain top views....your backyard!

Sonya said...

God certainly doesn't view things the same way that we do. Knowing that outward beauty is going to be fleeting in our lifetimes, He was so wise to have us focus more on the inner beauty which will never fade or age!

Alyce said...

Hope you get that day of pampering in soon..we all need it..we just have to stay focused on whats important.
I hope your girls love the mac and cheese. My girls fav has always been Easy Mac..but they LOVE love the crock pot recipe..
Alyce

Bonita said...

Love it! That tune is so catchy too and easy to remember. I bet I'll think of it every time I'm standing at the bathroom mirror now which is a good thing!

I think you were a way better sport about missing your spa days than I would have been! I'm more into a massage than primping and I would have been a sore loser if one of those got cancelled.

Zoe said...

Hey Kelly,

I love your post and your song is now stunck in my head.
Everytime I see a mirror I'm going to start singing.

Raising sons I had never heard of the "Pretty, Pretty Princess Game" (although my husband and sons do refer to me as "the pretty, pretty princess of the house) until a lady at one of my events brought me a picture of her husband playing the game with their 5 year old daughter.
There he was all dolled up in the beautiful princess accessories with the tiara atop his head.

I'm grateful the Lord is using the devos to minister to all His pretty, pretty princesses.

FYI I have a new devo running tomorrow June 6.

Zoe

P.S. Did I ever tell you that I wear a tiara when I clean house?
Stay tuned... there is a devo soon to be published on that.

Joyful said...

I followed over here for a visit from Zoe's blog and I love this post. I'm a HUGE "Princess" fan. I have "princess" things all over my house to remind me I'm a daughter of the King.

EXCELLENT song - I love that!!! Never thought of it in that way before, but it's absolutely perfect!

Blessings to you, Princess Kelly,
Joy

Pandora said...

You write very well.