Wednesday, June 6, 2012

When Our Questionable Content is Exposed


John Doe just watched "Secret Dressing Room Camera Footage" on Social Cam.

If you're on Facebook, you've likely seen this type of message pop-up regarding one of your friends. Social Cam is an app that sometimes shows questionable videos, often with salacious titles. And it posts every video that you watch to your Facebook feed, so your friends see.

I often wonder if friends realize that it posted to their page for their friends to see. And I think, "What if every questionable thing we did posted to our Facebook page." Can you imagine?

"Kelly Combs just yelled at her children without cause."
"Kelly Combs is arguing with her husband."
"Kelly Combs just watched a television show with no redeeming moral value, and she didn't do her Bible study today."

What if our friends could see the questionable content in our lives? Would we change? The Bible talks about the light and darkness in our lives. When we do right through Jesus, we are a light to the world. But when we sin, we are in darkness. The evil we do, we try to hide and keep in the darkness. But Jesus is the Light of the World, and he sees all we do, in public and in secret.

I'm so glad that my sins don't automatically post on my Facebook page! But I'm more glad that though Jesus sees them, he is there to forgive me when I ask, and through the Holy Spirit guide me to better decisions.

Rely on our true Friend, Jesus, and HIS BOOK, to help us erase our questionable content, and be a light to the world.


Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait until the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of the heart. At that time each will receive their praise from God. 1 Corinthians 4:5

Kelly Combs is a Christian wife, mom, writer and speaker. You can learn about Kelly by visiting her website at www.kellycombs.com

Chatty Kelly

4 comments:

Michael Nichols said...

Great thoughts Kelly - I've seen some of these post and wondered, "there's no way that person actually watched that, is there??" Thanks for the reminder!

Kelly Combs said...

Me too, Michael! My first thought when I see a friend watching it is, "You're better than that!" But then I'm glad that my "questionable content" isn't popping up, because my actions don't always reflect my intentions either.

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. I appreciate it.

Sue J said...

I forget that my FB wall is set up to be completely available to people. I forget that people can know more than I think they do, even though I have set up my profile that way. And, if I get called on something, that is for me to think about. I love the analogy, and I think I've hidden the app!....

TorConstantino said...

Great stuff Kelly! As believers we should be inspired to live after the example that Jesus set for us. Regardless, I have to say that SocialCam is a creepy little app....