Friday, June 8, 2012

Pretty Little Liar versus Fashionable Faith


There are an estimated 7.5 million kids younger than 13 on Facebook today.  7.5 MILLION! What makes that figure even more staggering is that Facebook bans children younger than 13 to have a Facebook page. That means that 7.5 millions kids lied on their profile about their age. In many cases the parents themselves helped the the children skirt the rule and set up the profiles for them, lying about their age.*

It's just a little lie, isn't it? I mean it's just lying to Facebook, does it really matter? I believe it does, because of what the Bible says about lying.  Revelation 21:8 (NLT) says this:

 But cowards, unbelievers, the corrupt, murderers, the immoral, those who practice witchcraft, idol worshipers, and all liars - their fate is in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. 


"All liars."  All.  The liars are classified with murderers and unbelievers. I think God is making it clear where he stands on the truth. "But it's just a little lie about their age?" I wonder if the same parents would approve of the child lying about their age to buy alcohol. Once we blur the line of truth, once we justify the lie, where do the justifications end?

I get the pressure from the parents' perspective. I am the parent of a 12 yr old who begged me so relentless to have a Facebook account, that I finally told her that every time she asked before her 13th birthday, I would add one day to the date she could get it. (We only had to go one day past her 13th birthday for her to realize I was serious). She is now waiting patiently for the day after her 13th birthday, even though "all of her friends" already have a Facebook account.

There are no little lies. We cannot expect to have children of integrity if we allow them, and help them, lie. Stand firm in the truth. Or as Eph 6:14 states, "Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist." 

I want to be a mom of integrity, and I want to raise children of integrity. I want my daughter to buckle the belt of truth around her waist. It's an awesome accessory for every 12 year old. And for their mom.

Join me and let's set the new fashionable faith trend. Let's wear belt of truth buckled around our waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place. Better than new shoes, our feet will be fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. Let's take up the shield of faith, with which we can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.  Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. (Eph 6:14-17, paraphrased)

It's one instance where I'm willing to risk having helmet hair. 
Kelly Combs is a Christian wife, mom, writer and speaker. You can learn about Kelly by visiting her website at www.kellycombs.com

Chatty Kelly


*According to the Associated Press, Richmond Times Dispatch 6/6/12

5 comments:

Barb said...

Way to stand firm, Kelly! I know how hard it is when all the other parents are giving in.

Tracy Thomas said...

I almost caved and let Tia have a Facebook when one of her friends (who at the time was SEVEN) got a Facebook with her mom's blessing. It wasn't until I went to sign her up that I realized you had to be 13 and the Mom had lied. Needless to say, Tia won't get one until she's 13. I really like and respect this family, but it was a huge disappointment to me...

Mark Mathia said...

Kelly- as father of three I can relate. My son patiently waited and now my daughter waits. It seems like an arbitrary number (13) but put this way it makes a ton of sense. We past the Facebook test however, ordering off the kids menu is a struggle. :) We shape our values by 100 little decisions a day. So important to remember God's Word.

Kari Scare said...

Our oldest son turned 13 this past December, and getting a Facebook page was one if his first acts as a teenager. Before then, we told him why getting one before then was wrong, using basically the same reasoning as you. He is noticing more and more how what we do as parents is so different from the other kids', but he is also noticing problems with respect and obedience from those kids. My point is the he is already making the connection about why we are so "strict" as he calls it, and he is stsrting to appreciate it. Obedience to God is always the best choice. Just read the Old Testament if you doubt this.

Katia Kantzia Vas said...

When my four children were growing, there was no FB, so we had to be strict about other things. Now that we have 9 grandchildren from 6 to 15 , I am thinking of all the pressure their parents have, and often worry for how long they will be able to stand up to their children's wants. But so far we have only minor demands to deal with, and FB is not one of them. Actually our oldest one did persuade his mom to let him do it when he was 12, but a year later, he, by himself decided to sign out of it and close his page. I absolutely agree with you about lying, even little white lies. I believe that even the smallest lie sends our spirit on a dangerous mission, and because one lie is never enough, it will very difficult to never find our way back, except of course by God's grace.