Monday, June 4, 2012

The Awards


With the end of the school year comes award ceremonies. I attended both of my girls' ceremonies.  The youngest received straight A honor roll, and perfect attendance. The oldest received straight A honor roll, class spelling bee winner (300 in her class), and school wide 2nd place spelling bee winner. I admit, I am a proud mom!

In my own life, I have often tried to be an award winner. I want to be a great writer, a great mom, a great friend, a great person! But what am I measuring my worth by? The actions of others? And what happens when I don't measure up?

Our earthly awards don't give us eternal worth. Yes, they feel really really good in the moment. But what about all the ones who didn't get awards. Does God love them any less?

You can't do anything to make God love you any more. And no one else can do anything to make God love you any less. So whether you are straight A's or straight F's -  God adores you! He sent his son to die for you, and wants you to come to him, and accept him as your heavenly Father, Lord and Savior.

There are awards that will make a difference in your life. Those are the ones you will receive when you put your faith, hope and trust in Jesus. A crown of righteousness for those who long for Him, a crown of life for those who love him, and the crown of glory for those who serve. 

Earthly rewards gather dust and lose their appeal over time. But our heavenly reward, to spend eternity with Jesus, will shine on forever.
Kelly Combs is a Christian wife, mom, writer and speaker. You can learn about Kelly by visiting her website at www.kellycombs.com

Chatty Kelly


Cr5:4own of righteousness - 2 Tim 4:8
Crown of life - James 1:12
Crown of glory - 1 Peter 

2 comments:

Tammyhelfrich said...

Great post, Kelly. I am really challenging myself lately to put into practice what you said. If my kids were getting Fs instead of As, would I also write a post like this? We focus so much on our kids working towards the earthly rewards that making sure they understand this lesson is sometimes hard as a parent. Thanks for the reminder.

Kari Scare said...

The Holy Spirit has been bringing to my attention the need to focus on eternity more. Just taught on 1 Thessalonians 3 in adult CEH Sunday, and we talked about how Paul is great about brining everything back to a focus on eternity. I am excited about where God is taking me with a renewal of this focus in my life.