Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Well-Behaved Child - Book Review

The Well-Behaved Child - Discipline that REALLY works is John Rosemonds latest parenting book. Let me just say right off of the bat, I am a big fan of Rosemond. I believe if you have kids and have never read a Rosemond book, you should pick one up right now!

Rosemond's parenting advice isn't anything "new." In fact, he himself tells you the problem with parenting today is all of the new ideas. Everything today is a syndrome or a disorder with kids being labeled more all the time. Rosemond's ideas stem back to "Grandma's" time when children knew their place and it wasn't in the center of the family. The marriage came first, then the children.

Rosemond's latest book is well packaged with parenting tools of the trade, including "Seven Fundamentals of Effective Parenting, Seven Essential Tools, Top Seven Behavior Problems Solved, Seven Tales of Strange and Unexpected, and Seven Final Words of Advice." While Rosemond provides methods and tools to correct behavior problems, he strongly believes the they are only vehicles to bring back the authority that parents have lost over their kids.
If you are looking for a book that relies completely on Biblical principals, I recommend his book Parenting by THE BOOK, with "the book" being the Bible. The Well-Behaved Child is written so that it will have both secular and Christian appeal. It is laced with scripture, but not as much as Parenting by THE BOOK, which was written especially for the Christian community.

If you are a Rosemond fan like myself, you may find yourself familiar with many of his stories. The hair pulling girl is back, as are many of the other anecdotes of previous books. They are repackaged nicely, but the stories are still familiar. His mandatory thumbing of his nose at Adele Faber (an author who once accused him of being hung up on punishing children) was also included.

Overall, I am a huge Rosemond fan, and whether you are too, or are new to his writing, I think if you have children in your life you will love the parenting ideas in this book that give us permission to regain the authority in our homes and the respect of our children. 5 Stars, Mr. Rosemond!

Chatty Kelly

10 comments:

Greg C said...

I know a lot of parents that need to regain control of their kids. It is hard once you let it go. Lots of people said we were too strict on our children because we had rules but now that they have lost control they are seeing that our way was much better. I think it all starts with respect and a lof of children these days have none.

My ADHD Me said...

If only I had read this 18 years ago!

Jenny wren's nest said...

Is this book good for parents of teens? or is more aimed at younger children. I really like this author, He has an article in our local paper but a lot of time his column is aimed at the elementary crowed.
Jenny

Sue J. said...

Parenting by THE BOOK is the only Rosemond book that I have read. It was a challenge to read, because I have kids who have struggled with developmental delays. I realize that labels get thrown around a lot, but even Rosemond agrees that if the child is autistic, that autism controls, to an extent, that proper understanding of authority, which leads to good behavior. But, nothing is impossible with God!

The shining light of THE BOOK was John Rosemond's own Christian testimony. Knowing that he was one who had not always believed in God's Word for himself and for his life, and to read what God has done for him, that is great encouragement as you read what he has to say. His authority is THE AUTHORITY!

Be ready for bluntness, though!

Andrea said...

I parented by simple rules: No means NO, do not talk back, always share, and do NOT lie! We are using these same rules with our granddaugher who is 2 years old. When we take her places other people are amazed at how well behaved she is......

Blessings, andrea

PS: Urgent prayer request on arise 2 write.

T. Anne said...

This one looks like a keeper. Thanx for sharing!

Heart2Heart said...

Kelly,

It's funny that I looked at this book, considered it and put it back. I guess I'll be going back and picking it up. Of course, I have to get through the stack I have of about 6 books first.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

2Thinks said...

There it is, another perfect review for TN. Good one. I sure hope I can get mine up soon. I finished the book, now to write the review.

Edie said...

My comment is the same as ADHD-Jo's.

Dena said...

I bought his book "The Strong Willed Child" when my twin girls were 3, because I saw a lot of myself in them even at that age, and I knew it was needed. LOL I wasn't disappointed. His books should be mandatory for all parents. Maybe we'd have less problems with a lot of the kids today.