Friday, April 3, 2009

Gauging Our Love

I've recently completed "40 Days of Love," the most recent 40 day Bible study by Rick Warren of Purpose Driven Life fame. Rick Warren talks about having a loving heart. We must have a loving heart physically, emotionally and spiritually. Each area has three habits to keep the heart loving in that area.

Physically: Rest, Balanced Diet, Regular Exercise
Emotionally: Solitude, Recreation, Laughter
Spiritually: Daily Quiet Time, Small Group, Worship

Rick Warren said we need to gauge each area and see how fulfilled or re-filled we are. This got me thinking about my daughter's webkinz. Webkinz is a website for kids. When you log into the site you see all of your characters gauges. They have one for happy, loved and hungry. You have to play games, feed it, etc., or else the webkinz will expire. You can read the gauges to see where the numbers are to know if you need to give it more food or playtime. (You can see in the illustration that "Dazzle" the raccoon isn't very happy. He needs to be played with).


Don't you wish we have gauges too? Wouldn't it be nice to say, "Honey, my solitude gauge is on low, will you watch the kids so I can have some quiet time?" He couldn't argue, one look at your gauge would show you were low. Or maybe when you were feeling "blue" (as we all do from time to time) you could easily read your own gauge to know if you needed more exercise or rest; solitude or fellowship.

Sometimes the things we fill ourselves up with are the opposite of what we need. Perhaps your body is needing exercise to get over the 3 p.m. slump, but instead you eat a donut. Maybe your body is craving spiritual fulfilment, and instead you take a nap. Ephesians 5:18 says "Do not get drunk on wine.... Instead, be filled with the Spirit." Spiritual emptiness can lead to filling yourself with the wrong things too! Could alcoholism actually be acute longing for God's Holy Spirit?

I urge you today to reflect on your life. Refill and refuel where your gauges are empty. Fill up with living water and quench your thirst today!

Romans 15:13 -- May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Ephesians 5:18 -- Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit.

1 Corinthians 6:20 -- you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.

Chatty Kelly

13 comments:

Bonita said...

In other words, that gigantic handful of chocolate covered pecans yesterday wasn't really what I wanted or needed, right? Hmmm...maybe it isn't sweets I need, but more fellowship time with the sweetest one of all. Thanks for the message.

Sue J. said...

Our bloggy friend, Kelligirl, had a quote on her blog from Oswald Chambers' My Utmost for His Highest: “The only way we can be of use to God is to let Him take us through the crooks and crannies of our own characters…We have to get rid of the idea that we understand ourselves; it is the last conceit to go. The only One Who understands us is God....” (My Utmost for His Highest, 1/12)

So, when we can't accurate read our own gauges, we should be prayerfully considering that God really is the only One who understands us and who can lead us to make healthy choices for our "love lives." (I'm not sure Rick Warren used that one in the video....but it sounds like it would fit in with his script.)

The problem with letting others read our gauges is that they don't always interpret them in the same way God would want us to. What makes the reader "happy" may not make you "happy."

Lois Lane II said...

You know, I had to think about this about two months ago when my husband was traveling a lot, I was busy with seemingly everything, and I LOVED chocolate. I realized that instead of eating chocolate (I know that sounds silly, but it's true), I should be delving more into God's word. And shock of shocks (haha!), turns out that made me feel better than ANY of that chocolate.

God's girl said...

You are funny! 100 comments. what a funny girl

Jenny said...

I really liked Purpose Driven Life maybe I should read 40 Days of Love. I like your post today, it would be wonderful if we had a guage to tell us what we need.

Susan said...

Oh yes, I DO wish I had gauges!! I loved this post, Kelly! I had not heard of Rick Warren's new book. I may have to add it to my pile of books to read.

Hugs,

Susan

Melanie said...

I didn't know about RW's latest book, either.

I like the tie in with the webkinz.

Melanie@Bella~Mella

Beverlydru said...

I want my gauges and yours to be visible! THe challenge is knowing they are there but learning to discern them. I want my sensitivity and discernment to increase. I want to get this study too.

KelliGirl said...

I'm a big Rick Warren fan. I've done his other 40 Days studies, but not this one. Did you like this one?

I have to requote Sue J, quoting me, quoting Oswald Chambers...it is a humbling and sobering thought that we really don't understand ourselves all that well. When we're in Christ, our identity comes from Christ.

Thinking about it makes my head hurt a bit.

Great post and good food for thought.

Runner Mom said...

Hey,Kelly! This was great! I need to get a hold of that book! Thanks so much for your words of wisdom, sweet friend!! Hope y'all have a great weekend!

Hugs,
Susan

Shabby Olde Potting Shed said...

oHMYGOSH Kelly,
I recently bought the new magazine by Rick Warren..and inside of it is this VERY bible study "The 40 days." Until now, I haven't even been to his website but I'M GOING THERE asap. I know that todays' the day, and God used you to redirect me; coz I've been side-tracked. He's really been showing me alot about LOVE this past year.
Thank you for your prayers; I so needed them!
And I'm praying you find your bible and notes!!! I know with all my heart who's responsible that it turned up missing. he doesn't want you growing and learning and writing about what you've learned about God. he doesn't like that you're reaching so many people through your blog and devotionals. I stand in faith with you, for God to continue to USE YOU FOR HIS MIGHTY PURPOSES. And I pray you find your bible n notes, and reach your goal to read His word in a year. You will!
When my Grandma used to lose something... she's holler "LORD LEAD ME TO IT!!!!" and she'd find it. So......
"LORD, lead her to it!!!!!!"
Holykisses my sweet friend,
Lea

My ADHD Me said...

How did you know my gauges where on empty?

Mary Moss said...

I will have to get Warren's new book. I admire him a lot.

I lover you're analogy - and yes, I would like one of those meters!

Sometimes, I think I need one to tell me - go to God - not to the kitchen:-)

Great post, Kelly