Monday, November 3, 2008

Hide & Go Seek

"Ready or not, here I come!" This is the customary shout out after you've finished counting to let all those hiding know you are on your way to find them in the game of Hide & Seek. Then you must seek out - go in search of - those who you are playing with.

The bible tells us we must seek God - go in search of - as well. Often times, like in the game of Hide & Go Seek, we throw up our hands in exasperation and yell "I give up!" "It's too hard!" "I can't find you." Often we just don't know where to look. We need a map.

Like a treasure map with a giant X on it, the bible provides the way to find God. We must seek him with our whole heart, and not give up. We must seek him first, before other things in our life.

For me, sometimes it is easy to find God. When I have put forth the effort, studying his word and praying I have felt the presence of God. Other times, I'm lazy and don't put the effort in seeking...I fail to find him. I want to blame him "It's too hard." But truthfully I haven't put the effort forth. If I'd just seek, I'd find.

What is keeping you from finding God today? I urge you to seek him with your whole heart. Because a time is coming when he will shout out "Ready or not, here I come!" Are you ready?

You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. (Jeremiah 29:13)

But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. (Matthew 6:33)

Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. (Matthew 7:7,8)


Chatty Kelly
*This post was inspired by the Random Question at Edie's Rich Gifts.

14 comments:

Truth4thejourney said...

This is a great post! I love the ending, Ready or nt, here I come! So true. I'm right there with you. When I put the effort in I always find Him. :)

Love,
Sonya

Dorothy Champagne said...

Great analogy - and it is a daily search!

The Patterson 5 said...

What fun! I love hide and seek as do my children! And what a blessing when we find God in ways and places that are unexpected like in a hug or encouraging word from a friend or in the laughter of our children or the beauty of a sunset! My list of places to find God could go on and on and on and on as He is everywhere we need only seek! Thanks for this encouraging lift for a melencholy Monday now it is much brighter!

Irritable Mother said...

And sometimes He shows up in the most unusual places. Yes, when we keep our eyes open - when we seek Him with all our heart - we will find Him. It's His promise, and we can count on it.
I love His faithfulness!

Gwendolyn said...

What a wonderful post! Thank you for writing this today. :o)

On Purpose said...

I am 'learning' that I NEED help on the search...to keep focused until the reveal of the find!

Great post Kelly!

We are a Backyardigans loving family!!

Greg C said...

I often wonder if I am ready but like you said it is "ready or not" I believe that God is everywhere you look so the people that don't find him aren't looking. Great post.

Edie said...

Love the way you wrapped this up CK! Ready or NOT! What a great way to express this message.

All the scriptures you used are ones that I have been studying recently too. :D

My ADHD Me said...

It is unanimous. We LOVE the ending!
When I need to "go seek", quite often I start right here.

Joy in The Truth (Sharon Sloan) said...

Hi, Kelly!

Looking in my mail box each day! :) Excited to read your article! :)

So much of where I have been reading in the Bible lately is about loving Him and serving Him wholeheartedly and being fully devoted. Amazing! He is so good!

Shabby Olde Potting Shed said...

What a GRRRREAT picture this painted in my heart of seek ye first His kingdom and His righteousness..."
The ready or not part bothers me. Not for me... but for those I love!
I remember in church... times we'd be singing thee old hymns about goin to heaven, and the preacher would say,.. I'm READY... ARE YOU? And all the people would shout Yeeeeeah! But in my heart... I'm not ready Kelly coz I have people I LOVE who aren't ready... and I want them to go to heaven WITH me.
So it sorta makes me sad. I have family members who totally turn their back to Him. They don't realize one day THEIR KNEE WILL BOW... but by then.. it will be too late.

Julie Gillies said...

Kelly,

First of all, I have to tell you that I LOVED your article in P31 Woman magazine. Fantastic. Very well done, my friend. It seems we both had difficult childhoods that the Lord is redeeming! May you have many, many more articles published.

Now on to your post...I wrote a post called "Come and Find Me!" that essentially says the same thing - LOL - so I agree with you, girl. When we search for Him we will find Him.

Blessings, you talented writer you! :)

KelliGirl said...

I, like you, find God hiding in the most extraordinarily ordinary places. Today I spent the day with my daughter and her friend in New York City. Even there amid the noise and chaos of the city I saw God "hiding." Isn't amazing where we find Him?

Blessings,
Kelli

beverlydru said...

Like the treasure map with the Red X, I've always longed to see the handwriting on the wall saying, "this is the way." (With arrows & directions!) But I know it's better than it doesn't work that way.