Friday, November 7, 2008

Advocate

Advocate: (1) a person who speaks or writes in support or defense of a person, cause, etc. (usually fol. by of): an advocate of peace. (2) a person who pleads for or in behalf of another; intercessor.

In life, we often are in need of an advocate, or must even be our own advocate to authority.

My husband had rotator cuff surgery in May. He healed well and didn't need any physical therapy (PT), and retained full mobility. However, several month after surgery he began experiencing pain again. The surgeon suggested it was just inflammation, and urged icing and anti-inflammatory meds. My husband, a former Army ranger and not one to be wimpy, was certain something was amiss.

Advocating for himself, he head back to the doctor again. The doctor this time scheduled my husband for PT. My husband endured a couple of grueling therapy sessions and insisted the pain level was too much. He headed back to the dr again, this time advocating for a MRI which showed the surgery had in fact failed, and the muscle was completed severed from the shoulder joint. He had surgery to repair this yesterday.

Had my husband not been his own advocate, the doctor would have written it off as general pain and not have done the MRI. My husband had to advocate for himself to the authority (the dr) to be proven not guilty of being a wimp, but in fact having an injury.

Often times, we need an advocate in court...this one we hire (an attorney). This advocate presents our case to the authorities (the judge or jury) in hopes that we are found non-guilty.

We, too, need an advocate in our spiritual life. If we were to stand before God on our own and present our life to him, he would in fact say "GUILTY" of sin, and we would be sentenced to life...a life in hell. But we have an advocate. This advocate is Jesus, who stands in our place and presents his life to God, and God proclaims "NOT GUILTY" and we are set free from our sins.

On Earth we have another advocate. Jesus sent the Holy Spirit, his advocate to us. The Amplified Bible calls the Holy Spirit our intercessor, advocate, and strengthener. This is that little voice that says STOP when we are about to sin, or urges and encourages us to do the right thing.

Too many times in life we must be our own advocate, fighting for what is right with little or no support. I am thankful that I have a heavenly advocate who intercedes for me, so that even though guilty, I may be pardoned of my sins, to be free in Christ.


1 John 2:1 -- My dear children, I am writing this to you so that you will not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate who pleads our case before the Father. He is Jesus Christ, the one who is truly righteous. (NLT)

Job 16:19 -- Even now my witness is in heaven; my advocate is on high. (NIV)

John 14:16 -- And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Comforter (Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, Strengthener, and Standby), that He may remain with you forever. (Amplified Bible)

Chatty Kelly

20 comments:

Tammy R said...

Great Post!

I'm so thankful I have Jesus on my side.

Dorothy Champagne said...

Great Analogy. Thank God He sent us Jesus!

The Patterson 5 said...

I agree great analogy. I hope Mr C is recovering well. He has been in our prayers.

Pinkshoelady said...

Hi Kelly,
It has been so long since I have got to visit! Today I knew I needed a good shot of Chatty Kelly to help start my day. I was right!
I read a couple of post. What a beautiful testimony on baptism! You said it perfectly!
On this post, We are so in need of an advocate today. I have been reading through Luke and today read in Chapter 11 where Jesus told them that Ninevah and the Queen of Sheba would be witnessses against them on the day of judgement. Wow! Oh my! Thank You Jesus for being my advocate!
I think I will include this and reference you in my own post today.
I love you my friend
Thanks for all the prayers!
Pamela

Truth4thejourney said...

Amen to that! I am so grateful that Jesus is our advocate, and that your hubby went back to the Dr.!

Have a great weekend,
Sonya

Melanie said...

We are on the same page.
For the past 5 weeks I have been teaching our adult SS class in a Bible study I have entitled "Spirit-Filled ~ Spirit-Led." My post from Oct. 27 is about the Advocate that dwells within. http://bellamella-melanie.blogspot.com/2008/10/monday-magnificat-la-paloma.html

Sue J. said...

For a very long time, the Holy Spirit (Ghost before that; talk about being confused!) was not something I understood. Always said it in reference to the Trinity, but didn't understand His purpose (also referred to the Spirit as an "it" before learning He was part of the person of God).

Anyhow, the passage in John was very significant to my learning that the Holy Spirit was the active presence of God working in me and in my life--being my helper! When God and Jesus both seemed remote, I still knew that there was a Spirit working within that was not my own. He is the One that leads me back to the full person of God.

Continued prayers for Mr. C., changing pain meds and starting on the road to recovery. Prayers for the Spirit to continue to sustain you in all things as you head into the weekend!

Vashti said...

thankyou for yet another uplifting and encouraging post!!
Will be praying for a speedy recovery.
xx

Greg C said...

Another great post today Kelly. I have been reading in Matthew about Jesus and I just read (not 10 minutes ago) where he said; "Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before men, I will disown him before my Father in heaven." Woah. Pretty powerful words. I know I want him on my side to be my Advocate.

Mary said...

Amen! How amazing that He stands for us! I know I'm not worthy of this, but He still advocates just for me.
Thanks for this great post! Loved it!

On Purpose said...

There have been many times that He has been my advocate...and my defender...it excites me beyond belief to know I have the "biggest and most powerful" fighting for me!

Have a great weekend!

Edie said...

First - I am so sorry your husband had to have surgery again. Am praying for swift and complete recovery.

Great analogy and I'm SO thankful that we have an advocate in Christ Jesus.

Runner Mom said...

Kelly, this was awesome! I loved it! I never think of the Holy Spirit as my Advocate. Usually I refer to Him as the intercessor for me. But, I like that! My advocate! Thank you!

Hope hubby is feeling better soon. Bless his heart! I am really sorry he had to endure that again. Y'all will be in my prayers.

Hugs,
Susan

My ADHD Me said...

We each have another advocate here on this earth.
I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed but on the few times CK or I have had uncalled for or unnecessary remarks on our post...you can be sure the other one of us is right there to "set the record straight". Sue J is great for that too.
Also, you didn't comment on the advocate that you were yesterday for Mr C. You were there all day for him. I hope he appreciates it. And you'll be there for the recovery too. Whew.
Call me if you need anything.

And just think, you don't have to call Jesus and he's already there. (of course he does need to be acknowledged..but there's no doubt that you have done that!)

Shabby Olde Potting Shed said...

Kelly
Hope your husband's heals fully.
I want the Lord as my advocate also!
Lea

On Purpose said...

Dear Heavenly Father surround this family. Bring healing, bring rest, and keep Your mighty hand in all things! Love all over this family and let them know You adore them!-Amen

My Army Brats and Me said...

Praying for your husband!
Cindy

HisPrincess said...

Thats really comforting for a worry wart like me.

Thanks for the perspective.

Edie said...

Hey - Your Sings My Soul Saturday post doesn't offer comments. But of course that doens't stop me. ;)
I thoroughly enjoyed that!

Have a great weekend!

Beverlydru said...

I have felt called to be an advocate for my children throughout their lives. And multiply that by infinity and that's how much Jesus is our advocate. Awesome indeed!