Tuesday, June 24, 2008

On the Road...

The red symbol on my dashboard control panel was certain to be a bad sign. I was driving just past the NC line on my way to the She Speaks Conference, with my friend and She Speaks roomie, Sonya riding shotgun. She pulled out the car manual from the glove box, and began looking for the symbol -- an exclamation point in a partial circle.

Sonya quickly exclaimed "Is it this one?!?!"
"I can't look, I'm driving."
"You must look! This says stop immediately and call your dealer."

A quick glance realized that THAT exclamation point was in a full circle. "Keep looking, the circle is open at the top." The culprit? Low tire pressure.

It was 7 p.m., and I didn't have a tire pressure gauge. I pulled off at the next exit hoping for some nice man at a gas station to help. (Do gas stations still have air machines?)

The very first thing I saw off the exit was a full service garage...open after 7 p.m.! I pulled right to the bay doors and ran in, falling over something as I came in, and making a horrible commotion. "Can you check my air pressure?" The nice mechanic told me to wait and he'd get to me. I tried to think patient thoughts. We had 3 more hours before we reached our hotel and it was getting dark.

As I stood outside the garage, I realized it wasn't the safest looking location. I had a sense of concern and was thankful that I wasn't traveling alone. God had provided a traveling partner for me. Finally, the mechanic told me to pull my car into the bay. This photo shows the vehicle that I pulled in behind.



If you can't read it, the bus says Division of Prisons, Inmate Highway Work Crew. I hoped they weren't waiting for their vehicle too. It was soon discovered I had a hole in the tire, and it would need repair. We headed inside the shop to wait. The shop was clearly a manly man shop. Clearly Sonya & I (two sweet Christian gals on our way to the Christian Writers conference) were out of our league here.

Finally 30 minutes later we were on our way. We found out that by pulling right to the bay and going in the garage, we had inadvertently "butted" in line. There were many cars ahead of us waiting, and the garage was going to be working until 11 p.m. on them.

God certainly was providing for us. He found us an open garage at 7 p.m., where I could get my tire fixed, and got us quickly back on our way to the She Speaks Conference, where we arrived safe and sound by 11 p.m.

2 Corinthians 9:8 -- And God will generously provide all you need. Then you will always have everything you need and plenty left over to share with others.

Psalm 11:1 -- I trust in the Lord for safety.

Psalm 18:19 -- He led me to a place of safety;he rescued me because he delights in me.

9 comments:

Pamela (MrsJoeB) said...

God did so many amazing things leading up to this conference and during the conference. I am praying for you and your hearts desire (Lysa's post). He is big enough for your request and will control your life because of your submissive heart.

Blessings!

In His Graces~Pamela

Truth4thejourney said...

Kelly!

I am so glad God protected us. It's great to have the support of good friends in the Lord. :)

dapple said...

Kelly,

It was so good to put a body to a face. What a tale of horror! I am married to a police officer and girlfriend I can tell you some stories. One Christmas Eve my husband brought home a teenage girl who he "had trouble" with. Enough said and that was an experience, especially with 3 boys here. :-)
I hope to stay up with your blog and it was great to meet you. I have a great pic of our speaker group with Karen.
Blessings,
Diane

My ADHD Me said...

Cost for a drink from the vending machine at the garage $1.25.
Cost for tire repair $65.00.
Look on your face when you saw the bus's plaque ahead of you....priceless.

Susie said...

What a story! So glad you made it safe and sound. I still can't believe how awesome the conference and speakers were, and how much fun I had!

Anonymous said...

I have had that same symbol light up on my dash board too. I also had to read the owner's manuel to learn what it was trying to tell me. While I'm reading your blog, I'm yelling "tire pressure." Not a pleasant feeling when you are traveling down the road. I stopped at the nearest garage to learn that my spare tire had the leak! Who knew the sensor would go off for the spare! I learned that they put the sensor on the spare too because it would not be a lot of good if it were flat when you needed it. In the words of VBS this week - AHA! Thankfully, you had the sensor so you were not on the highway when the tire went flat. Yikes!
V.

Luann said...

chatty kelly,
Thanks for the prayer! Still no word on the product, but that is ok. My soul is at rest about it. I was out on the tractor mowing the grass (what I love to do to think) and God kept whispering, 'Be Still'...so I was. Whatever happens, happens. He is in charge and very large.

Your post made me remember my daughter's adventure. After a youth conference she was so ready to watch for God opportunities. She saw a family broken down on the side of the road and felt overwhelming compassion. It was a hot day, so she pulled off at the next exit, went to the nearest drive through and ordered 4 ice waters. She took them back to the family who thanked her profusely.

She decided that felt so good, she would go hunting the highway for another opportunity. She went through the drive through and asked for multiple ice waters and began the search. She happened quickly upon a group of pour hot gentelmen working on the side of the road. She stopped and began delivering ice water. Suddenly a prison guard drew a gun pointed it in her direction and told her to leave immediately.

Thanks goodness God watches them when we can't!

Thanks again for the prayer.

HisPrincess said...

I need one of those sensors! I am notorious for driving merrily on flat tyres without even realising it until I have completely killed the tyre. My husband can't understand how I dont' KNOW it's flat! Can't you feel it? Well, yes eventually, but thats after I've killed the tyre!

Starr said...

Sounds like you had an adventure just trying to get to the conference! Glad you made it...otherwise I would have missed out on meeting you and Sonya. Hope your trip home was much less exciting!
Love and Blessings,
Starr