Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Wussy What?!?!?

Now don't go getting offended before you read the blog. What I'm referring to is WYSIWYG - phonetically pronounced "wussy wig." What?!? That is the term that blogger uses when you are typing a draft post. It is a WYSIWYG draft...meaning What You See Is What You Get - WYSIWYG. And I kinda like the term, because it describes me.

My husband says "You never have to wonder what Kelly is thinking, because she's going to tell you." That's not to say that I set out to hurt feelings with casual remarks. But I don't try to be coy or say what I think others "want" to hear, if it isn't the truth. The only expectation I need to try to live up to is God's. And the ironic thing about that is - that it is also the place I constantly fail. We all fall short of the expectation that we should be like Jesus. But we don't have to be separated from God because of our failures. Jesus' blood on the cross washed them away. We just need to be WYSIWYG.

Or as the Message Bible puts it in 1 Corinthians 5:6: "Your flip and callous arrogance in these things bothers me. You pass it off as a small thing, but it's anything but that. Yeast, too, is a 'small thing,' but it works its way through a whole batch of bread dough pretty fast. So get rid of this 'yeast.' Our true identity is flat and plain, not puffed up with the wrong kind of ingredient. The Messiah, our Passover Lamb, has already been sacrificed for the Passover meal, and we are the Unraised Bread part of the Feast. So let's live out our part in the Feast, not as raised bread swollen with the yeast of evil, but as flat bread—simple, genuine, unpretentious." (emphasis mine).

The bible tells us that charm (the ability or power to attract) is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting. As a newly 40 year old, I can attest to that! What is truly praiseworthy is loving, respecting and honoring God. (Proverbs 31:30) We're also told in Proverbs 15:8 that "God can't stand pious poses, but he delights in genuine prayers. " (The Message Bible).

So are you a WYSIWYG? Be simple, genuine and unpretentious!

What You See Is What You Get!

1 comment:

truthseeking-mom said...

Hi Kelly,
First, did you really post this at 4 am!?! Wow. 2nd, great job with the blog! You go, girl! It was fun to read your stuff and I liked Dolly Parton on Idol, too! AND checked out her CD. Her promotional people should be thrilled.

I went to the P31 conference a few years ago. I'm anxious to hear what you learn! Keep me posted.

Blessings in Christ, Martie