Friday, April 4, 2008

Don't Judge This Book By Its Cover

I saw Dolly Parton on American Idol this week. What an amazing faith the lyrics to her songs show! Hearing Jesus & Gravity inspired me to check out her new album, Backwoods Barbie. I enjoyed the title track "Backwoods Barbie." While I'm not at all backwoods, I am a bit like Barbie. I love big hair, make up, jewelery and clothes. But that doesn't make me shallow, as Dolly says "I run true and deep." So here are a few of the lyrics. All credit to Dolly Parton, but they describe me a little too.

I'm just a backwoods Barbie, too much makeup, too much hair.
Don't be fooled by thinkin' that the goods are not all there.
Don't let these false eyelashes lead you to believe
that I'm as shallow as I look 'cause I run true and deep.

I've always been misunderstood because of how I look.
Don't judge me by the cover 'cause I'm a real good book.
So read into it what you will, but see me as I am.
The way I look is just a country girl's idea of glam.

I'm just a backwoods Barbie in a push-up bra and heels.
I might look artificial, but where it counts I'm real.
And I'm all dolled up and hopin' for a chance to prove my worth,
And even backwoods Barbie's get their feelings hurt.

I'm just a backwoods Barbie, too much makeup, too much hair.
Don't be fooled by thinkin' that the goods are not all there.
Yes, I can see where I could be misjudged upon first glance;
But even backwoods Barbie's deserve a second chance.

God bless Dolly Parton & you!

No comments: