Friday, April 8, 2011

With this ring....

“Why don’t you wear your wedding band any more?”

He’d noticed. I wondered how long before my husband would notice, and now he had. I answered truthfully. “It doesn’t fit anymore.” There I’d said it! Fifteen years and two kids had rendered my finger bigger than my wedding band. I didn’t want to admit it, and had just been ignoring the problem, hoping my husband wouldn’t notice it.

“Well, go get it sized.” His answer seemed so simple. I had avoided telling him because I didn’t want him to know I wasn’t that svelte woman he’d married. Yet I’m sure he’d noticed, just as he had noticed I wasn’t wearing my wedding band. He just had the good sense not to mention it. Now that it was out in the open we could resolve the problem.

There was a second problem however. My band had beveled edges. I dreaded having the jeweler cut my band and ruin the wonderful edging I’d loved so much when we selected our bands, and still loved. Remarkably, the jewelry took a look at it and said, “We can just ream it out.” I only needed it to come up a quarter size, and my band was thick enough that they could take some gold from the center, leaving my beveled edges in tact. Two problems, solved immediately once I was willing to deal with them.

What problems are you ignoring, hoping they’ll just go away? Is there something that you are hoping no one will notice, but in your heart you know they will? God already knows what’s troubling you. Talk to Him. Who knows how easy your solution may be, once you are willing to take action.


Chatty Kelly

4 comments:

Sue J. said...

That was a big personal share today...thanks for sharing :-)

Sharon Sloan - Joy In The Truth said...

I love this example!! A much easier fix than you thought. Isn't it often that way....solutions are often easier and more efficient than we expect. Loved your hubby's simple and easy reply!

You must pic of post newly-sized wedding band!

Hugs,
Sharon

KrippledWarrior said...

You said he had the good "SENSE" not to mention it. Maybe. Just maybe he has the good "GRACE" not to mention, or even notice. I never knew that reaming was a method for sizing a ring. Oh well, live and learn, huh?

Tracy said...

That John is a very smart man... :)