Friday, April 23, 2010

Manna Mamma

Those who have been following my blog for long, know of my struggles with my mom. Growing up with a mentally ill, alcoholic mom is no fun. Because of that I have always yearned for a "real" mom in my life. I have prayed for a "mentor mom," a godly woman to come into my life to serve as my mom.

God knows that I would idolize any woman who took that role in my life. He knows I am desperate for a mom. So he held back that one thing from me. He wants me to idolize only him, my perfect parent. But this weekend I came to see something else.

Saturday morning as I came downstairs to have breakfast at the hotel in NC, where I was speaking at a retreat, I ran into a woman. She didn't know me really. She was published author, and speaker, Vonda Skelton. She was one of the featured speakers at the writers retreat I attended last August, so I introduced myself and reminded her of our past meeting. She asked what brought me to NC, and I shared I was speaking, my first real speaking engagement. She immediately asked me to come aside with her and she prayed over me. Her words were so encouraging, her prayer so nurturing. I was so thankful.

After I got home, I realized that she acted the way I'd want my mom to act. Happy and excited for me. Praying for me. She was my manna mamma. My mamma for the day, my just enough, not too much mom for the moment.

I reflected back on my life, and I was able to see other manna moms in my life. My aunt and grandmother, one or the other always came to stay with us when my mom was hospitalized for her mental illness. Mrs. Othmere, an old woman from church who faithfully came to take us to church. Mrs. Mueller, my beloved 1st grade teacher. Jean, my friend Sonya's mom. Ellie, a trusted confidant. JoAnn, a Bible study leader. I'm sure there are more.

Each woman may have only drifted into and out of my life at a certain time. Yet, each gave me something I needed whether it be encouragement, nurture, advice or prayer from an older woman. A manna mamma. A mother for a day.

Exodus 16:4,31 -- Then the LORD said to Moses, "I will rain down bread from heaven for you. The people are to go out each day and gather enough for that day. The people of Israel called the bread manna.

Chatty Kelly

18 comments:

Sharon Sloan - Joy In The Truth said...

That's beautiful, Kelly! I think often that is exactly how God brings mentors into our life--just for a moment sometimes. Sometimes for many moments. He is faithful. Wow....so glad He blessed you that way!

Hugs,
Sharon

Sharon Sloan - Joy In The Truth said...

That's beautiful, Kelly! I think often that is exactly how God brings mentors into our life--just for a moment sometimes. Sometimes for many moments. He is faithful. Wow....so glad He blessed you that way!

Hugs,
Sharon

God's girl said...

Very beautiful! We often think we are missing out on something or someone, but when we look, God truly does provide those things we need at the right time. Praying today for more manna mamma moments for you!!! I just wrote my blog today about manna strength. It's awesome how God provides!

Hugs! Heaven

Andrea said...

My mother has never been healthy enough to be a real mom. I understand how you feel. So many times in my life, GOD has blessed me with beautiful women to mentor me for a season. I, too am thankful for each of them.

Hugs and prayers,
andrea

Andrea said...

Kelly,
Thanks for stopping by arise 2 write. I did not see the azalea cross. All of the azaleas were magnificent. I had never been to that part of the park. I had one of those, "where have I been" moments. I have lived in the Richmond area since 1999 and did not know the azalea garden was there. I am thankful Doug remembered, mentioned it, and took Savannah and I.

Hugs,
andrea

Andrea said...

Kelly,
Thanks for stopping by arise 2 write. I did not see the azalea cross. All of the azaleas were magnificent. I had never been to that part of the park. I had one of those, "where have I been" moments. I have lived in the Richmond area since 1999 and did not know the azalea garden was there. I am thankful Doug remembered, mentioned it, and took Savannah and I.

Hugs,
andrea

Carmen said...

That's awesome Kelly! I sometimes wonder about the things we go through in life, but I believe it's all for a reason. God is faithful to provide what we need and I trust in that. Great post!

Irritable Mother said...

Kelly, this is wonderful!
A manna momma. Yes!
My mother is healthy, but she isn't much of a nurturer, and she doesn't know the Lord so she doesn't pray over me. Oh, how I have longed for that!
But you have just shown me through this manna momma concept that God has given me mothers who've prayed over me.
Thank you for using your insight to give me some!
And especially as my mentor is preparing to move to Texas, I am so thankful for this reminder.

KrippledWarrior said...

I had the best Mom ever. And every woman I met in life, until I met my wife, wanted to mother me.
God always gives you what you need.

Heart2Heart said...

Kelly,

I have never thought of things this way until reading your post! How wonderful that you had this opportunity to have a stand in to speak of when you needed what you needed from a mom the most. I too, have a fair share of manna mom's when I need a mom who can't be there. God is faithful in supplying all our needs!

Stop by when you can, I miss seeing you.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Sonya Lee Thompson said...

What a beautiful post. I have never looked at it that way! God is good. I see even more clearly now. :-)

Sue J. said...

I like the expression you came up with here. I know how difficult it has been for you--seeming like your prayer has gone unanswered. I think you have discovered that not only does God fill those spaces when you need a mother's love, but He does lift up just the right woman to step in and minister to you.

Jason said...

Great Post Kelly - I see the people God placed in my life to give me what I needed at the right times and crossroads in my life

Jason

2Thinks said...

Another tribute to the faithfulness of God! That is his message to me as I read the posts tonight, he must be trying to show me something...maybe that he is faithful to provide my every need and every need of every one of his children. Thank you! I know he is speaking to me this evening.

Barbie said...

God is so faithful to send us exactly what, or who, we need at the right moment!

Tracy said...

You KNOW I love this post... :)

My ADHD Me said...

I am so glad you have been able to see the women God sent to you when you needed them.
I hope you also see that the loss that you have has helped you be such a wonderful mamma for your girls.
I can honestly say that you are one of the very best moms that I know. I know for a fact that your girls will never have to feel the loss that their mamma wasn't there for them.
I hope you are proud of the job you are doing raising them. I am.

prashant said...

Sometimes for many moments. He is faithful. Wow....so glad He blessed you that way!
home based data entry