Monday, April 26, 2010

Sing a Song!

"Sing, sing a song. Make it simple to last your whole life long. Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear. Just sing, sing a song."
The Carpenters, 1973


I love music! I am blessed with an uncanny ability to remember lyrics as well. Unfortunately, I am not blessed with the ability to carry a tune, which makes my lyric memory a bit of a moot point. Except I'm not shy, so I don't "worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear."

Lyrics speak to me in a way nothing else does. It evokes a feeling I can't explain.
Every song is a memory; some good, some not so good, all meaningful. So today I start a new series on the blog. Every Monday will be "Musical Monday" where I will take a song (secular)and write a devotional around it. So if you love music, and love God, come back every Monday. I'll be starting with hit songs from the 70's.

"Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all the earth: make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise," says Psalm 98:4 (KJV) I guess my singing could be labeled as a loud and joyful noise. So, even if you can't carry a tune, join me on Musical Mondays for a new song.

Psalm 33:3 -- Sing to him a new song; play skillfully, and shout for joy.

1 Corinthians 14:15 -- So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind.

Colossians 3:16 -- Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God.


Chatty Kelly

12 comments:

Sue J. said...

I'm so glad you are persevering!! In this case, there's more than one way to fulfillment (though, perhaps, this was the intended way after all? Only He knows for sure....).

Sing it, sister!!

2Thinks said...

Now there's a good idea. I remember the Carpenter's song well. I like to just sing, sing a song and do so just about every day.

Blessings!
H.

Andrea said...

Oh my...we are kindred spirits. I can be one cranky gal and if you crank up the music it speaks to the depths of my soul and transforms my crankiness into joy.
Blessings, hugs, and prayers,
andrea

Heart2Heart said...

Kelly,

Ah the Carpenters! Now that is really bringing back some memories. I love their music, so pure!

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

KelliGirl said...

Hey Kelly, this is a great idea! I can't wait to see how it unfolds. I love to sing, but can't carry a tune (as my kids frequently remind me.)

It shows you how much I know, I thought Kermit the Frog sang Sing a Song...or maybe that was the Rainbow Connection.

Sing out loud! Sing out strong!

Susan Panzica - EternityCafe said...

I'm so glad that the Bible says "Make a joyful noise" and it doesn't say "Sing on key"!!

My husband is the head of the worship team at our church. My daughter plays bass in the team, and she sings and dances. And my son sings too. What I'm good at is clapping!

And I'm so glad that you are using this great idea of yours in a new way to bless others.

Susan

Tracy Thomas said...

The Carpenters were my FAVORITE group growing up! You know I will enjoy Musical Mondays!

Ronel Sidney said...

Kelly,

I love music and I love that music can change your mood and make your day even better!! I look forward to coming back and seeing what you come up with.... can we join in and do our own song?

prashant said...

that is really bringing back some memories. I love their music, so pure!
home based data entry

Edie said...

Now this sounds exactly like something that God designed you to do. It fits perfectly with your love for music, ability to remember lyrics, and your gift of seeing spiritual analogies. It's sure to be a Hit! :D

sanjeet said...

I like to just sing, sing a song and do so just about every day.
indian classified site

Cool said...

This is one of the best blogs I have ever come across.!!!!

Data Entry Jobs
Rangoli Designs
Mehndi Designs for hands
Free classifieds site
Unlock iphone 4
Work from Home Jobs
Baby shower punch recipes
How to make Diaper Wreath