Monday, April 19, 2010

Moving Ahead: Retreat

The retreat went great! Thank you for your prayers. Friday night started great. I shared with the ladies that I had been writing for a while and had only recently begun my speaking ministry. I said many ministries have a "key verse," such as "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Or "There is no fear for those in Christ Jesus." I told them my key verse is from 1 Corinthians 2:3, "I came to you in weakness and fear, and with much trembling." Boy did that get some laughs!

(Thanks to Sharon Sloan, who actually sent me the very encouraging verses 1-5, which I'll post at the end of this post. It was awesome.)

I also shared the importance of prayer and the benefit of a prayer partner. I said "If you are praying with your BFF, it's important to set down guidelines or else a 15 minute prayer call, can turn into an hour and a half social call." Well evidently not everyone is familiar with the phrase BFF. Who knew? (BFF stands for Best Friend Forever).

Well, after the ladies found out what BFF stood for, they just loved the phrase. After I was done speaking, many ladies approached me in pairs to share with me that they were there with their BFF. On Saturday, they actually had my friend Sonya (who traveled to the event with me) introduce me since she was my resident BFF and the prayer partner I'd referred to. And when the singing group came out to lead the singing they shared they'd been singing together for 5 years and were in fact (you guessed it) BFFs. It was a hoot, and became the catch phrase of the event!

Thank you to all my BFFs for your prayer support over this event! It was fabulous! Here are the verses I promised, and some photos.

1 Corinthians 2:1-5 -- When I came to you, brothers, I did not come with eloquence or superior wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God. For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. I came to you in weakness and fear, and with much trembling. My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power.

The Activity Center where the retreat was held. 200 ladies were in attendance.

Making a key point on Friday night.



Inspiring women on Saturday morning.
Conference President, Georgette, thanking me and handing me a gift basket. She was very sweet and wonderful to work with.


The "BFFs" - Kelly & Sonya



Chatty Kelly

14 comments:

Sharon Sloan - Joy In The Truth said...

Oh, God is good! :) So glad He used that verse for your heart! HE put it on my heart for YOU! :)

Sounds like a lovely retreat. What fun for you and Sonya!! I am, however, totally inviting myself along with you girls next time!!!!!! :)

Hugs from PA,
Sharon

Mocha with Linda said...

Sounds like a wonderful retreat. We had ours this weekend too!

Andrea said...

Isn't it awesome how beautifully GOD works in and through our lives. I praise GOD with you for all GOD did in and through your life this weekend.
Hugs,
andrea

Carmen said...

Sounds like it was wonderful Kelly! Isn't it funny how things work out sometimes. It's quite funny how "BFF" was such a catch phrase for the event. Love the way God works!

Irritable Mother said...

Kelly, that's awesome!
I knew God would work in and through you. Because He's fiathful like that!
*very big grin*

Edie said...

I'm so thrilled for you Kelly! I knew you would do well! Great picture of you and Sonya too. I love that God provided a BFF to travel with you for an extra dose of confidence and encouragement.

B His Girl said...

So glad it went well. My BFF gave at talk at a retreat last weekend and talked about her BFF and prayer partner...me. How cool is that! Keep moving ahead Kelly.

Beth in NC said...

I'm thankful it went well for you!!! I know you were such a blessing to everyone!

My ADHD Me said...

This is SO awesome!!!

Did I mention how PROUD I am of you??
(I'm sure I did a couple of times on the phone). I am SO PROUD of you!!!!

I absolutely LOVE the verse you used. It was perfect.

I also love how you did such a great job "ad-libbing", per our phone conversation.

BFF-Those ladies will be using that phrase all over the place.

You are a wonderful BFF.

Melanie said...

Sounds great! Glad you posted pictures, too.

Ronel Sidney said...

First I have to say, I love love your hair longer!! Second it looks like a fabulous weekend!!

Sonya Lee Thompson said...

Great post, and great trip! I had a blast and you were fabulous! God is good.

Beverlydru said...

Loved hearing about your time there. Thanks for sharing the photos. May the Lord open doors before you and may your assignments be clear and easily identified! Awesome.

prashant said...

Sounds like a wonderful retreat.
home based data entry