Friday, March 19, 2010

When You Crash

I don't back up my computer as often as I should. My daughter's birthday was the first week in March, and as I uploaded the photos I'd taken to the photo service I use online, I realized I hadn't uploaded photos since her last birthday! A year. So I took the time to upload all the photos on my computer to the photo service.

After that, I thought, while I'm uploading, I might as well back up my word documents too. I copied all those to a jump drive. I hadn't done that in at least a year either! Who has times to back up your computer? And besides how often does a computer actually crash?

Monday, I sat at my computer for three hours while I typed and researched. I ended up with 7 pages of single spaces notes for a retreat I am speaking for. I was pleased with my work. Tuesday was my birthday, so I was out and about all day and didn't type any more notes.

Tuesday night as I was online, my computer started giving me error messages. I could tell something was wrong, and my very first thought was my retreat document. I tried to open Word, so I could print it out. "Your word.exe program is corrupted." I tried to open the "My computer" file, so I could copy the file to my jump drive. "The My Computer program is corrupted." My PC was failing fast. What could I do?

The only program that was open was my email. So I sent myself an email and attached my word document to it. Then I shut down my PC. When I rebooted, my hard drive was in essence gone. Fried. Everything lost.

I went to my cell phone where I receive my email. The email was there, but with no attachment. Usually it will show a line that says "There is an attachment, do you want to download it?" This time nothing. I forwarded the email from my phone to my husband. "Is there an attachment to this?" No attachment for him either.

And so I prayed. I stormed the heavens. "God I know you can recover this document!" I believe it! I need it! The devil wants it be gone, but I believe you are the RESTORER. Then I sang, "He is Able"....a lot. And the document was restored on my email server.

I don't know what is crashing in your world today, but God is the RESTORER! He can do all things. Put your faith in Him, and let Him achieve on your behalf. He is able, more than able to accomplish what concerns you today!

Psalm 80:19 -- Restore us, O LORD God Almighty; make your face shine upon us, that we may be saved.

1 Peter 5:10 -- And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.


Chatty Kelly

He is Able Video:

13 comments:

Sharon Sloan said...

Wow! So thankful He restored your document...just like He restores our souls!

Will be praying for the retreat as you speak. :) May He equip you and may He be glorified, my friend!

1 Peter 4:11 - If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen.

Beth in NC said...

Amen! He is our Restorer, Deliverer, Savior, Shield, Defense, the list goes on and on!

I'm grateful you were able to retrieve your document. Argh ... devil.

Sue J. said...

I'm grateful that God's provision in I Peter says suffering "for a little while" and not forever! We grow through our suffering, for sure, but it makes it rather hard to stand again if we persevere through suffering. He gives us the strength and encouragement to make it through! Praising Him for that promise today!

Andrea said...

AMEN...I needed this, today! I think we forget to sometimes to hit our faces before HIM in the small stuff that plagues our heart...the stuff we say, "is not that bad...yet driving us crazy/cranky"...and that is where I am at, this morning. Thank you for reminding me: "HE is the Master Restorer!" and longs to restore my heart, today!
Hugs, love, and prayers, andrea

Beverlydru said...

I love to visit over here. Your examples are so real! Forgive me for when I visit and don't comment. I thank God for your gift with words. Especially that you so clearly communicate THE WORD!

2Thinks said...

So so happy for you and thankful for the return of the document!

I guess if you can take that to God, trust and wait patiently- I can take my anxiety over my daughter going off to college to him, trust and wait patiently.

Thank you for the reassurance!

Best to you when you speak at the retreat. Wish I could be at the retreat.

Carmen said...

God's been showing me lately how He blesses those that serve Him. Blessings on the speaking engagement!

Heart2Heart said...

Kelly,

If that is one thing I know is true, is that God is our ultimate restorer! Talk about the home improvement shows He could host! Amazing and so glad that you had your notes after all! Praise God!

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Edie said...

I'm so glad He restored your document Kelly! What a great reminder that He is not only able, but that He is concerned about the things that concern us. Even the seemingly small things. I can't tell you how much I needed this reminder right now.

Thanks my friend. Love ya!

Andrea said...

Kelly,
We rent a wonderful home on Hatteras Island from friends. I have the link for the realty company if you would like it. You can see pics of the house, etc. It even has a small fenced in back yard so the dogs can potty with out being on leashes. It is steps from the ocean. 5 bedrooms 4 1/2 bath, internet, hot tub, etc. My email is: aperdue7@comcast.net
If you want the link...email me at this address and I will forward it to you.
Hugs,
andrea

KrippledWarrior said...

Very well said. I've heard Him called the Great Healer. I never heard Him called "Heaven's System Administrator." But it fits.

Marla said...

So good, Kelly. Thank you!

Greg C said...

I think the fight is about to get into high gear. The devil knows he is losing and is fighting hard these days. We have to be on the lookout for traps. Sorry about the harddrive.