Monday, October 5, 2009

Awareness

October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. I suddenly became very aware of it after having a questionable mammogram. I spent Oct 1 at the hospital having follow up tests done.* I suddenly realized why folks influenced by a potentially life threatening disease become passionate about the awareness to find a cure.

When my nephew was diagnosed with Primary Pulmonary Hypertension (his story is here) my sister became a huge advocate for the awareness of his disease. This formerly introverted woman (yes, she really is my sister) suddenly because an extrovert where his disease was concerned.

A friend of mine has started wearing a bracelet for histiocytosis. You've probably never heard of it. She hadn't either until her nephew was diagnosed with it. Now everyone in her family wears the bracelets for awareness.

My revelation on awareness showed me why I am so passionate about Jesus. You see, I have a potentially life threatening disease too. It's called SIN. And I don't want to scare you, but you have it too. (And it seems to be highly contagious!). But because of Jesus, I'm in remission. I'm not cured, and I still have re-occurrences pop up from time to time. But because of Jesus, it's not a life or death situation. Quite the opposite, it's an eternal life situation.

If I seem to be a Jesus freak, it's because I am. Jesus has saved my life. And because of my "awareness" I want everyone else to be in "remission" too. Don't you?


Chatty Kelly

Acts 2:38 -- Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. (NKJ)

*my follow-up tests were all negative. YAY!!

17 comments:

B His Girl said...

So glad your test turned out good. We become aware of things we are touched by. I am glad you cannot be cured of being a Jesus freak! I have it too! B

Julie Gillies said...

Thank God your test results were negative, Kelly. I had a similar scare several years ago.

As far as being a Jesus Freak, I am one, will always be one, and hope to pass it along to many others!

My ADHD Me said...

I am so glad your test was fine.
I liked this post. A reminder to take care of our bodies AND our souls.

Being a "Jesus Freak" is such a good thing. It reminds me that you are also "A Drip". I think of that story often. One of your firsts, I believe. Definitely my favorite!

Jenny wren's nest said...

God speaks volumes through you, that is such a awesome responsibility,I am so glad someone is willing to be a sounding board for those of us who are still to thick headed to get the true meaning of our experiences
and how it can apply to Gods word.
Jenny

2Thinks said...

What you say here is true on both accounts. Jesus saved my life too. Oh, I will die someday and, perhaps, it will even be a hard, painful death- no promises against pain have been made. BUT the promise that He will be with me, as my comfort and my peace, as my rest and my relief- that promise is sealed. Secured also is my place beside Him where He resides, a place of beauty, warmth and acceptance, with singing and perfection forever- my eternal life. It's a given.

Thanks for being an Advocate for Christ to the world here, Kelly!
Heidi

Diane said...

Written great! :O)

Greg C said...

So we should wear Jesus awareness bracelets don't you think? What would be a good color? How about red for the blood that he shed for us?

Andrea said...

Praising GOD your test turned out okay. I have experienced several breast surgeries and for a few years had mammogram every 3 months. Now, I am allowed to get them yearly like everyone else. I, too praise GOD and your post reminds me it is "time" to get my annual exam. THANK YOU!

I love being a JESUS freak..I don't know where I would be without HIM.

Blessings, hugs, and prayers, andrea

Heart2Heart said...

Kelly,

Great post using the Breast Cancer awareness campaign and so glad that like you, my test came out negative after a huge scare. I can only imagine how relieved you feel.

Count me as one of those Jesus Freaks as well because I would gladly give up all I have for Him.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Sharon@JoyInTheTruth said...

Great awareness, girlfriend!

We are all "without excuse"...

Romans 1:19-20
"...since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—His eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse."

Laurie said...

Great analogy with SIN... Definitely a life threatening disease...That revelation caused me to love Jesus too--- He is the only way to overcome!

Edie said...

I'm so glad your tests results turned out favorable.

I have that sin problem too. So glad I found the cure.

Carmen said...

So happy your tests were negative. Such a stressful situation!

Regarding sin, the bible says that holiness is not contagious, but unholiness IS contagious. How much more then, should we be aware of the unholy things we see and ensure we don't allow them to become a part of our lives?!

Irritable Mother said...

I love that you're a freak. A Jesus Freak, that is! *grin*
So thankful He has saved my life, too.

And I am glad your test results were negative. Surely, God would still be good if they were positive, but I am so glad they weren't.

LisaShaw said...

Praise the LORD on the tests results. Awareness always seems to come when we are EXPOSED to something.

We SO need JESUS. I'm incredibly aware of my need for HIM as I am a "sinner saved by grace through faith in Jesus Christ".

Thank you for the blessing of your sharing.

Ronel Sidney said...

AWESOME!!!

Lea said...

From one Jesus freak to another,
I'm so thankful your tests came out Neg!
Blessings Kelly!!