Wednesday, March 18, 2009

It's Not What You Know....

It's not WHAT you know, it's WHO you know." This quote refers to the "good old boy network." In other words, when looking for a job, it didn't matter how qualified for the job you were, it was instead who you knew in the organization that could get you in the door.

I know a lot of stuff. I do some good. I work hard. I try to be nice. But I can tell you, what I know won't get me into Heaven. If I can quote the Bible from memory from Genesis to Revelation, that isn't going to get me there. If I take the gospel to every third world country, that won't get me there. If I give all my money to the poor, that won't get me to Heaven.

No, truly this is a case of not what you know, but WHO you know. I know Jesus. Because I know, love, and have accepted Jesus as my Savior, I accepted into Heaven. It doesn't matter if I'm the dumbest punk on the block, or the smartest gal on earth. None of that gets me to Heaven. Just knowing Jesus.

"Knowing you, Jesus, knowing you. There is no greater thing. You're my all, you're the best. You're my joy and righteousness, and I love you Lord." (Graham Kendrick, song below)

I've got friends in high places. So who do know you at the top?



1 Corinthians 13:2 -- If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.

John 17:3 -- Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.

1 John 5:20 -- We know also that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true. And we are in him who is true—even in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life.


Chatty Kelly

13 comments:

Technonana said...

Hi Chatty... it's so nice to meet you!! I love this analogy!!
Though I do have to say that it Is usually not what you know but who you know, and Praise The Lord for that!!
My youngest daughter was one of the first people let go from the company she worked for. She went almost 4months without a job, and with a car payment and a house payment, well... she needed a job, and she needed it to keep her sanity!
God is good enough to have blessed her with a great network of friends that just kept the prayer line open, and kept giving her places to go to seek employment.
Now she has a great new job, and a wonderful boss too!!
Amazing God!!

Susan D said...

This is a wonderful post. I'm so thankful the "good ole boy" system works for anyone who "confesses with their mouth the Lord Jesus and believes in their heart God raised Him from the dead." God made is so easy for all to know Him. Praise His wonderful name. Blessings, SusanD

Sue J. said...

It's only after we meet Him that we can truly serve Him. Once you meet Him, you begin that path of loyalty that continues to bring great benefits--along the way and that ultimate "retirement" bonus! (And no one can take that away from us!)

Nice one!

Kelley said...

Great message Kelly. The path to heaven is so different than what the world teaches us so it's easy to see why so few people are able to find that narrow road. Thanks for the reminder this morning!!

Beverlydru said...

I KNOW HIM!! I heard someone say yesterday "I pray crummny prayers and God still hears and answers!" I laughed out loud. He LOVES you! He LOVES me!

T. Anne said...

Amen! God can only see us through the perfect lens of Jesus. No other way. God Bless!

Runner Mom said...

Praise Him that I know Him and love Him, but He loves me even more!!
Great post, sweet friend!
Hugs,
Susan

My ADHD Me said...

I cannot believe how your writing just keeps getting better and better. Every post seems great and then you write another one that blows me away again.

Obvious you know the right person!

Susan said...

Amen and amen!! Thanks for this great word, Kelly!

Hugs,

Susan

Mel said...

I am eternally thankful that indeed I do have friends in HIGH places!!

what a great post.

Jenny said...

Such a great post. I am glad Jesus accepts me even for all my imprefections. I am glad I have friends in high places.

Edie said...

I know the Most High God too!!

One man I used to work for knew almost as many scriptures as I did and was always whistling hymns. But he didn't know Christ and sadly, had no desire to. I'm always baffled by people like that.

Mrs. Sidney said...

So true and I love the song.