Friday, February 6, 2009

Anecdotes and Perfection

A funny thing happened on the way to the grocery store the other day. Actually, no, it didn't. This has been a tough week for me. By Wednesday I ran out of "funny things" or anecdotes to blog about, and so I took a vacation day.

I feel like I've really been on top of my blogging game lately..."in the zone" so to speak. Suddenly, when I felt like I didn't have a "great" story, I wasn't willing to settle for okay. I didn't want to just phone it in, so I called in sick instead, a "vacation day."

When Donny Osmond was doing "Joseph & the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" he did well and got great reviews. Instead of increasing his confidence however, it increased his expectations on himself that he had to do better and better. Finally, after driving himself crazy, his wife said "Just be the best Donny you can be. That's enough."

So after driving myself crazy this week to come up with a fabulous blog posting, I decided instead to just have to be the best Kelly I can be. That's enough. God's grace covers the rest. Maybe this post won't make you feel fabulous or have you typing "great analogy!" Maybe you'll have to hit another blog today for encouragement. (Maybe you're even thinking you must have missed the great postings! LOL!)


Or maybe you do need to hear that you too are indeed enough. Maybe you don't need to hear it your writing, but in some other area of your life where you are trying hard, but still feel like you're not making the mark. Just be the best YOU that you can be. That's enough. Because God's grace is enough.


I'm not perfect. But I know the One who is.


Psalm 18:30 -- As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the LORD is flawless. He is a shield for all who take refuge in him.


Psalm 19:7 -- The law of the LORD is perfect, reviving the soul. The statutes of the LORD are trustworthy, making wise the simple.


2 Corinthians 12:9 -- But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

Chatty Kelly

To read my February "The Power" article at ithirst, click here.

20 comments:

Sue J. said...

Your grace is enough.
Yeah, your grace is enough.
Your grace is enough....for me.

Sometimes, you're right, it's OK just to have Kelly out there saying "Hi!" It's when Kelly's not out there saying "Hi!" that we wonder what's up.

And, you're still fabulous!

Greg C said...

Whew. Now I can relax too. The standard you set was killing me. I tend to be a perfectionist with everything except spelling. I can live with that. I am so glad that God doesn't expect us to be perfect. In fact He expects us not to be perfect. We still like you.

Kay Martin said...

Kelly; your honest sharing is vivid with full technicolor. In the rhythm of life don't we appreciate the bold colors because they are balanced with the more subdued ones?

I have enjoyed your blog daily along with others because of the natural dialogue. In other writing publications expected formats, etc. restrict the flow of the writer's voice, heart and attitude.

Your "beige" day wouldn't disappoint me. I guess it's a good thing you can't see how terrific you really are. Then we'd have to bring you down out of pride and arrogance.

You never left the zone in my book!!!

B His Girl said...

Wisdom. God has given it to you. Great Post : ) B

Melanie said...

Kelly, you could post a recipe and I'd stop by to have a look!
I enjoy "visiting" with you no matter what you've got going on.
Melanie@Bella~Mella

Anonymous said...

What you don't realize is that you are doing a great job even when you think you are not "in the game." Just keep writing and we will keep reading!! Have a GREAT weekend!
VSK

The Patterson 5 said...

You're still in the zone! I am thankful for the writings you share as you walk with the Lord...spreading seeds He's given you to share.

Andrea said...

Thank you for reminding me to just be the best andrea I can be. God bless you, andrea
http://arise2write.blogspot.com
http://andrealuvsallgodscreatures.blogspot.com

Joy in The Truth said...

Just being yourself "Chatty Kelly" is a blessing to your bloggy friends! Really! :) So appreciate your always honest heart. I love no pretense!

And hey...unless the Lord is leading you to, don't put pressure on yourself by keeping up with a blog schedule. Do it as led or when you feel "fresh".

The uneventful "status quo" moments, days and weeks of our lives are a treasure, too. He quiets our hearts with His love. (Zephaniah)

Now watch....something funny will happen on the way to the grocery store next week!

Mocha with Linda said...

It's true in blogging. And it's true in parenting. Hugs to you!

KelliGirl said...

Love the song Sue J. referenced! It's true, at our best and our worst, eloquent or tongue-tied, His grace is enough.

I applaud you for trying to maintain a daily blog. To do that and still aim for wit, wisdom and inspiration is a towering order indeed.

Keep up the great writing!

Enjoy the weekend. I hope you get a little warmth in your bones!

Mary Moss said...

Good for you! There is such freedome in that attitude:-)

Edie said...

I met a friend for dinner tonight and one of the things we talked about was this idea of expectation that we put on ourselves. It our own idea not His.

Another thing we talked about was the great bloggy friends I have made. Two sisters in particular, and how much they mean to me...

...and we even know some of each others issues. :o ... :D
It feels good to be real.
Love ya my friend!!

Anonymous said...

Perfection is not amongst us, except for the One. But, I am aware through the vine that you are a near perfect wife and mother - not to mention writer and teacher. Keep it up, I believe He would say - we all would say.

Le Roi

Beverlydru said...

One of the things that I love about blogging is sharing our lives. The good days, the bad days and the drudge days. Keepin' it real... it works!

Edie said...

Well isn't that Le Roi sweet? :)

My ADHD Me said...

Wow. Even when you think you have nothing great to say....you say something great!!

Annette said...

I think you do just fine and I have those moments all the time. I just feel like my life is not that interesting to people so why should I do a blog. But it has been really good for me and I do enjoy it. Keep up the good blogging and encouraging us all with your faith

sailorcross said...

I just read your posting "I'm a Christian"--I'm going to print that and take this to share with my Small Group this evening.

That is something that others don't understand--they feel that being a Christian means we are perfect!! No, we are admitting that we are far from perfect and never will.

And Kelly, thank you for your wonderful comment on my own post. Each of us--each of us--are enough just as we are. God calls us to rest in His arms. We just need to hear and obey these words!

Beth

Marla said...

I love your posts and you are awesome! I always learn alot from everything you post. I know that I am not a great blogger and I probably bore people but it is a great outlet for me and helps with the lonliness in my life.