Monday, January 19, 2009

Blue Light Special

As I drove down the street last Thursday, I noticed the police car pulling up closely behind me. Sure enough, the blue lights began to flash. I pulled over and produced my license and registration. I hadn't been speeding, but it turns out my car tags (license plates) had expired...in November. The policeman headed back to his vehicle to write my ticket.

Several minutes passed and he came back and handing me back my license and registration. "Your debt has been paid" he informed me. My husband had paid the tag renewal fee, but not updated the stickers on my plate. The officer could still give me a ticket for improper display, and I guess I deserved one, but he let me go. A quick trip to DMV and $1 replaced the lost tags to be stuck on my license plates.

At the end times, I'll see those "blue lights" in heaven. (You know folks always do talk about walking toward the light. They just don't mention they're blue.) I'll be told of my offense, and I'll know what I deserve. But then God will say "Your debt has been paid." Jesus has taken care of my offense. I won't receive what I deserve. I'll be set free from my past and live eternally in God's kingdom come, just because I know, love and serve Jesus.

Jesus is the light of the world. Because of him, we don't have to be blue. We can have the light of life!

John 8:12 -- When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

2 Corinthians 4:6 -- For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.

1 Peter 2:9 -- But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.

Chatty Kelly

22 comments:

Vashti said...

AWESOME!!!!!!!
Although DOnt you just hate it when you get pulled over?? I feel guilty even if i havent done anything!
HA!
GOd is good. What we really want to see after seeing the blue light is then the green light telling us to go right ahead!
xx

champagnejmail said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Dorothy Champagne said...

Who knew that God didn't let that policeman pull you over so you could share this post with us - what a great analogy!

Kay Martin said...

Love it!!! You have nailed how awesome our Lord Jesus is to us all. I have studied the Bible intensely for many years. One thing hit me a decade ago: God has never accepted anything for sin but blood. I recall calling my pastor with questions on this. He sighed because I had hit a Bit Truth and also a mystery.

When the accuser tries to destroy us God proclaims: REdeemed! Washed in the Blood! Debt covered...all is well.

It's not fair, but isn't it absolutely glorious what the Lord Jesus Christ has done for us believers?

Thanks for sharing. Only you would come up with such a great post from a cop pulling you over.

B His Girl said...

For some strange reason among the first things that crossed my mind this morning was the term "blue plate special". Now I see the "blue light special". Who knows where this is going??? Glad you didn't have to pay a major fine. Yes, our debt has been paid. Thank you Jesus. Blessings to you Kelly.

Melanie said...

An "encouraging" message.
Melanie@Bella~Mella

Mocha with Linda said...

This is great! And I'm glad you didn't get a ticket!

My ADHD Me said...

I'm going to get a special key that I click only once that says "Great Anology!".

Because...guess what..GREAT ANOLOGY!!

Great post...really

Julie Gillies said...

Love your post title, Kelly. And I'm so glad you didn't wind up with a hefty ticket. $1 we can handle. Isn't it wonderful to know that we won't even have to cough up a single dollar to get into heaven? All because of Jesus.

On Purpose said...

Great correlation...thanks for reminding us how GREAT He is!

Mrs. Sidney said...

Great correlation, I think it is so amazing that our debt has been paid. Thanks for reminding us!!

Sue J. said...

I got pulled over (with kids in the car, no less!) to discover the same problem. The check had been paid, and I had the stickers. I just didn't realize that the stickers hadn't been put on the car. The officer peeled them off the registration card and applied them to the car for me. (Perhaps since I had kids in the car.)

We can't go to our favorite Christmas ornament shop with CJ recalling this story. Now, I'll have an analogy to put with it that may make her internalize a truth, rather than just re-calling my mistake over and over. (Praise God, He doesn't do that!)

Joy in The Truth said...

It's no mistake that the police officer used those words "Your debt has been paid". I find that amazing! Wow! :) Amazing Grace. Amazng God.

Pam from alertandorientedx4 said...

SPECIAL is indeed the word. And doesn't your heart just go thumpity-thud when you see those lights, especially if you can't figure out why you're being pulled over?

Mary Moss said...

Love it! I never did picture that light as being blue, but guess we won't know for sure 'til we get to heaven:-)

Carol said...

Great illustration! This has actually happened to me, as well. Only my husband hadn't paid the debt. We both forgot! I was almost a year overdue!!! Yikes. It was a steep price to pay.

sailorcross said...

"Your debt has been paid!"

What wonderful words--and not just for you "could have been ticket", but for us, for all of us.

We could never afford the debt that Jesus paid for us, never on our own.

This is a wonderful correlation!

Beth

Greg C said...

Now you have me wondering about the light color. My wife gets upset because whenever she gets stopped, she gets a ticket but whenever I get stopped, I get let go. I better stop right here before I dig a hole I can't get out of. :)

Great post

Marla said...

This was a great post. Yes our debts have been paid, how Thankful I am for that!

The Patterson 5 said...

Wow! I'll bet your heart was just beatin sooo fast! Glad to hear you did not get a ticket and even happier about the good news you are sharing!

Edie said...

I let my inspection sticker expire several months past the due date. Fortunately I didn't get pulled over. I took care of it right away.

Love your analogy as always!

KelliGirl said...

Great thoughts Kelly! I just love the verse in 1 Peter you used: "But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light."

How awesome is that?!