Monday, March 11, 2013

Temperature Matters


I love an ice cold diet coke. But lukewarm? Yuck! I'll have a cup of piping hot coffee anytime you offer it. (And I also enjoy iced coffee!) But lukewarm coffee?  No way! Because temperature matters.

That was also the message to the church of Laodicea in the Book of Revelation. Jesus said, "I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot; I wish that you were cold or hot. So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of My mouth."

What's your spiritual temperature? Are you hot - on fire for Jesus?  Are you cold - just chilling with the peace that passes human understanding? Or are you lukewarm? The picture here is a scary one, as spit refers to vomit - Jesus is saying "You make me sick!"

The people of Laocidea appear to be complacent in their faith.They are rich and "need nothing."  They were indifferent to their faith. Sadly, this describes many of us today. We don't consider ourselves rich, to be sure. But certainly most all our needs are met. We "need nothing." And we aren't filled with a hot or cold faith. We are lukewarm.

But Jesus didn't end his talk with vomiting the people out of his mouth. No, he offers them great hope. He says, "Therefore whom I love, I reprove and discipline; therefore be zealous and repent."

Even after their lukewarm faith, Jesus still shows them love, as he shows us. Now is the time for us to repent and become zealous for Christ.  I don't want to be lukewarm. I want to be on fire for Jesus. I want to be the flame that burns for him.

Don't become lukewarm. Be zealous and repent.  Because temperature matters.

I correct and discipline everyone I love. 
So be diligent and turn from your indifference. 
Revelation 3:19 (NLT)
Kelly Combs is a Christian wife, mom, writer and speaker. You can learn about Kelly by visiting her website at www.kellycombs.com

Chatty Kelly

No comments: