Thursday, March 14, 2013

Knowledge versus Knowing


If I asked you to tell me what you know about George Washington, you could likely share many facts about him. He was our first president, married to Martha, and lived at Mount Vernon. He was a General in the army and founding father.  You could probably share some folklore with me as well; perhaps the story of him cutting down a cherry tree, or throwing a silver dollar across the Potomac river.  If you are a history buff, you likely know even more.  But here is the thing...You don't know George Washington.

You know about George Washington. You have knowledge of George Washington. But you don't know George Washington.  My fear is that many of us are the same way with Jesus.  We can tell facts about Jesus. We spread folklore about Jesus.  But do we know Jesus?

Knowing Jesus takes you beyond the religion and into the relationship.  It involves not just talking to him in prayer, but listening...a much harder objective.  It involves study of the Bible, certainly, but not just as a historical text book, but as the foundation to help you build the relationship with your Savior.

In my early years as a Christian, I knew a lot about Jesus. But only in the past 10 years have I gotten to know Jesus. I have learned to listen more, and understand he's more about the eternal than the temporary. The more I get to know Jesus, the more I realize how little I know about Jesus. Because we can't define him in a Bible story. He is a living God. His desire is to grow and teach us. He loves us.

It's important to know about Jesus. That is how we get to know his personality, his will and his character traits. It is imperative to study the Bible and to learn about God's law, and the gifts of the Holy Spirit. But don't confuse knowledge with knowing. Because once you know and love Jesus you move from religion to relationship. From history buff to humble believer.  From enlightened into the Light.

And we can be sure that we know him if we obey his commandments.
1 John 2:3 (NLT)


Kelly Combs is a Christian wife, mom, writer and speaker. You can learn about Kelly by visiting her website at www.kellycombs.com

Chatty Kelly

4 comments:

Krippledwarior said...

the primary difference in my opinion is that George is long dead and buried. While Jesus is alive and well annd quite knowable

Kari Scare said...

I was 28 when I went from knowledge to knowing. Transformed my life. Having that relationship fulfills a longing I can remember having as a small child. Now, 12 years after the connection was made, I feel like my life is a blessed adventure of knowing Him more and more. There truly is no greater thing.

Kari Scare said...

I agree. That's what makes Christianity different from all other religions, after all.

Richard Chancy said...

Good stuff Kelly. One of the biggest challenges the modern church faces is getting people to have a direct relationship with Jesus instead of trying to have one through their pastor. It's possible to know everything "about" Jesus without "knowing" Jesus. I've tried both paths, the relationship is much, much better.