Thursday, February 23, 2012

Why I'm Not Observing Lent


Wednesday was the first day of Lent. Lent is a Christian observerance from Ash Wednesday to Easter, in the liturgical church. I grew up in the Lutheran church and we always "gave up" something for Lent, whether it be red meat, or chocolate or something else. 

Lent can be a good thing, when done correctly. The Bible does call for us to fast and pray, and Lent provides a way for many people to do that. As you are making the sacrific of the item you are fasting from, you are supposed to pray every time you want that item, and focus on Jesus and what he gave up for you. (His life).

At the same time, Lent is not "Biblical." You will find no references to Lent in the Bible. Lent was created by the church, not by Jesus. It is a way to "pay penance" for our sins. That is the part that concerns me. While some definitions of penance refer to being repentant (sorry) for our sins, others refer to it as a punishment for our sins. 

We cannot pay the price for our own sins. The work of our salvation was finished on the cross. Jesus paid the price...in full. Nothing I do on earth can add to my salavation. Jesus said, "It is finished." It's done. He did it.

As a "works based" girl, this is hard for me to remember. I try to do more, or give up more, or be more so God will notice me and like me.  Truth is, I don't have to do more or give up anything, because He didn't just "notice" me, He MADE me, and He loves me, sending His son to die so I don't have to be more.

That's not to say there isn't work to be done on earth. God calls us to be living sacrifices, and to daily lift up our cross and follow Him.  That's why I'm not taking the 40 days of Lent to try and do works for Jesus. I pray my life is lived that way. Not because of what I have to earn. Not because of the price I need to pay. But simply because I love Him.  And because He loved me first.

Are you observing Lent this year? Why or why not?

Kelly Combs is a Christian wife, mom, writer and speaker. You can learn about Kelly by visiting her website at www.kellycombs.com

Chatty Kelly

19 comments:

Julie Gillies said...

Hi Kelly,
I belong to a non-denominational church, and we don't observe Lent, though I do usually participate in some form of fast at the beginning of the year.

I was interested to read that you grew up in the Lutheran church, because I did, too. At least until I was about 9, when my family moved to the country and we never attended church again.

At any rate, I think that if Lent is used as a means of growing closer to the Lord through giving up something that means a lot to the person, then that is good. Scripture does tell us to fast and pray, and fasting is defined as giving up something (usually food) for spiritual purposes.

I had no idea that Lent is considered a form of penance, which really saddens me. Self-directed penance basically declares that what Jesus did (the finished work of the cross) is not enough, so we must add to it. So I agree with you that in that form, it's not scriptural.

Thanks for this thought-provoking post, Kelly. And I'm intrigued that we have even more in common.

(((Hugs)))

Gwen Smith said...

I agree totally that it is not a biblical holiday. That said, I am choosing to do less during this time -- specifically less spending of things that I don't need but want. So, while one of my children needs shoes (there are holes in them!), the other has been informed "no shoes." It is hard, especially in our culture, but for me, this is living biblically, not just during lent, but every day.

Kelly Combs said...

Completely agree Julie. Lent can be a means to come closer to God, as long as we realize it is because of relationship and not because of works.

Interesting that we have so much in common, Julie! I cannot wait to read your book!

Kelly Combs said...

I think anything that makes us check ourselves and change our focus is a good thing. I read about a woman who is sending out one card of encouragement every day for the 40 days. 40 people encouraged? A great thing! As long as we remember, as Rick Warren so beautifully put it in his 40 days of Purpose, "It's not about you" (and me!)

Rebecca said...

Amen! I agree totally:)

Vickie said...

Amen. I agree wholeheartedly.

Kathy Schwanke said...

Hi Kelly,
I grew up Catholic, and have not observed Lent since I left the church (when I got married~a long time ago *wink*). I think the resurgence in observing Lent is being perpetuated by the resurgence of Reformation Theology. I purchased a Lenten devotional this year in order to focus more deeply on Jesus' walk to the Cross. That is how I am observing this season. I haven't felt the Lord call me to fast from anything specific. I let Him pick the seasons for that. I think the focus I see among bloggers I follow is not on "giving up" something, but on drawing more near to Jesus.

Kari Scare said...

From birth until age 28, I was intimately involved in the Lutheran church. We religiously honored Lent every year, but I never really felt any connection to Christ during that time (really, not much connection all those many years). For the past 11 years, I have been intimately involved in an Assembly of God church and have not formally celebrated Lent once, though I have fasted several times. During these past 11 years, I have never felt closer to Christ, and that closeness grows daily. This is not a knock on the Lutheran church or a promotion of the Assemblies, but it is a genuine expression of how formal religion can sometimes stifle our walk with Christ.

Melanie Dorsey said...

I did not grow up in a church that taught Lent as a scriptural mandate and I did not know that Lent is a form of paying penance.
Very good information you've shared with us.
Thanks!

Kelly Combs said...

Thanks Rebecca!

Kelly Combs said...

Thanks Vickie!

Kelly Combs said...

I love what you said, Kathy. I love connecting deeper with Jesus, and if it takes Lent to help people do that, then Lent is GREAT! But we can do it any time, not just in the Lenten season.

Great thoughts. Thanks for sharing.

Kelly Combs said...

Kari - I so get what you are saying! How close we get with God is about relationship, not man made spiritual disciplines. Fasting is scriptural, but we can do it any time, not just during the Lenten season. I'm so glad that you have found a church that has encouraged your relationship with Christ and that is has grown. Praise God.

Kelly Combs said...

Lent is not bad, but neither is it a penance or scriptural mandate. I'm all for growing closer to God however you can.

Kurt Keys said...

How true this is. So many people can't accept the simple foundation of "By Grace alone are we saved"

Kari Scare said...

I certainly am blessed!

Kathy said...

As a gal who tends toward legalism and works-based faith, I agree wholeheartedly with you. Just a couple of cautions. First Christmas and Easter aren't referred to in the Bible either, yet the church universal celebrates those two holidays. Second I think we get out of Lent or any other observance just what we "put into" it ... in other words, what is our motivation ... where are our hearts? If we choose to use something (anything, including Lent) to draw our hearts closer to the Lord, then it can be a God-honoring thing. If we choose to go through the motions or if our motivation is thinking that this will automatically grant us favor with God or that this will allow us to slack off the other 325 days of the year, then obviously it will not be honoring God. The problem is not observances like Lent, the problem is us. Let us focus on getting our hearts right ... everything else (including Lent) will fall into its proper place. (Oh, by the way, I grew up Baptist and am currently in a non-denominational church and have never observed Lent, so I am definitely not a Lent apologist.)

Kelly Combs said...

Absolutely Kathy. As I pointed out in the 2nd paragraph, Lent can be a wonderful thing to bring you closer to God. But not to gain favor or earn grace...simple for the relationship. It is all about the heart. That is a wonderful thing!

Brittany V. said...

Thank you soooo much for this! Having been Catholic for approx. The first 24 years of my life, and only Christian for approx. 2 and half..I sometimes have to be reminded why we no longer observe some Catholic traditions and this was the PERFECT read for my concerns! Thank you! :)