Monday, December 6, 2010

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

Someday some we all will be together,
if the fates allow. Until then,
we'll have to muddle through somehow.

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, Judy Garland, 1944

Fate. Do you believe in fate, karma or destiny? Fate is the universal principle or ultimate agency by which the order of things is presumably prescribed. Karma is the cosmic principle according to which each person is rewarded or punished according to their own deeds. Destiny, much like fate, is a power that determines the course of events.

Imagine having to rely on the fates to see each other again. And until, we'll have to muddle through somehow. I don't know about you, but just "muddling through" until fate happens seems like a hopeless cause. And karma, being punished according to my own deeds is even worse! Yes, I am a "good person" perhaps by worldly standards, but compared to perfection I fall far, far short.

I am thankful that I have Jesus in my life. With Jesus, I don't have to "muddle though." I can live triumphantly, filled with the joy and peace of a Savior. I know the hope that comes from knowing and believing that I am loved unconditionally and don't have to face the punishment I deserve for my sins.

This Christmas season, don't just muddle through somehow. Put your faith in Jesus...and Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas now!

Musical Musings:
1. According to Wikipedia, "if the LORD allows" was part of the original song, and was purged and replaced with "if the fates allow" to remove religious reference when the song was released. Consider how the world continues to try to remove the Lord from our lives.
2. Do you put your faith in God? If not, how are you muddling through without Him?
3. Spend some time in the Bible this season, so you can not just survive but thrive this Christmas season.

Karaoke:
Dear Lord, forgive me for not putting my faith in you enough. I want to be filled with faith so that I don't have to muddle through but can life a life fulfilled by you. In Jesus name, amen.

Rock On: Read Romans 5, to find out how much God loves you, and why you can have hope because of that.

Watch the video of Judy Garland singing Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas.


Chatty Kelly

1 comment:

Sue J. said...

I do have to give credit to the original writer of the song--assuming everything about the Wikipedia history of this piece is true--for encouraging the singing of the original words. And if you haven't seen the lyrics for "Have Yourself a Blessed Little Christmas," it is worth a look.

Karma goes with chameleons. Perhaps that's a post for another day ;-)